quan808

Power Wrapper

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I’ve had a power wrapper for years now. Tried it when I first bought it and never got the hang of it and just went back to hand wrapping my rods. Really want to use it to its full potential.

Any pointers when first starting out besides staying away from the ProWrap metallic thread lol?

Slow is the way to go.Had mine for over 25 yrs[Clemens/Renzetti] and some tasks are just easier to leave in the chuck and wrap by hand with the resistance of the motor and adjust the belt tension.Practice,practice,practice.

Yeah, nothing beats practice! I guess I have been putting it off because the learning curve for me seems steep.

Will give it a go this weekend with regular thread instead of the metallic stuff.

1 hour ago, xp800 said:

I use a renzetti and build mostly inshore and fly rods.. I never wrap with the motor . I just remove the belt and wrap by hand..

I get frustrated when I see people on YouTube turning out rods one after another.

i just wrap for very good friends and family, but don’t want to be tied up on my weekends hand wrapping.

2 hours ago, quan808 said:

I get frustrated when I see people on YouTube turning out rods one after another.

i just wrap for very good friends and family, but don’t want to be tied up on my weekends hand wrapping.

I can wrap just as quick by hand as with the motor.. take your time and learn to do quality work before production work..

Power is a lot faster, takes practice tho. I can do a good job on larger diameter rods with power but light fly rods with single foot guides, I do those by hand. 

16 hours ago, xp800 said:

I can wrap just as quick by hand as with the motor.. take your time and learn to do quality work before production work..

X2

With the power wrapper , if you wrap over a thread its a pain to get the thread back on the spool and the tension right. By the time you stop the motor.

With some threads if you pull back because of a overwrap , you can see a different pattern on the thread.  ( tinsel )

Once you start wrapping by hand , you can roll pretty fast. if you do overwrap, you can back of a turn and your all set to go again. 

Edited by ccb

1 hour ago, ccb said:

X2

With the power wrapper , if you wrap over a thread its a pain to get the thread back on the spool and the tension right. By the time you stop the motor.

With some threads if you pull back because of a overwrap , you can see a different pattern on the thread.  ( tinsel )

Once you start wrapping by hand , you can roll pretty fast. if you do overwrap, you can back of a turn and your all set to go again. 

Agreed..With most of what I build I don’t do very long wraps.. so rolling by hand just works for me..

I wouldn't build rods if I didn't have a power wrapper (Renzetti).  It makes the whole process so much quicker and less tedious. 10 underwraps setup for marbling (meaning no inlay work, just a plain underwrap with a couple trim bands on either side) on a 8' heavy west coast saltwater rod will take me about 45 minutes.  I can't imagine how long it would take me to do that by hand.