Stopsign32v

Wanting a very specific rod for surf fishing 3/4-1oz only in NC...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Well I want to throw some very specific lures, the 3/4-1oz Kastmaster as well as some 1oz bucktails with squid trailers. Was thinking about getting this setup for closer surf schoolie bites and some blues maybe for fun. First off does it make sense to have a setup dedicated for something like this? I could be wrong but I think this would be a good way to just catch a lot of fish and have fun!

I was mainly looking at 2 options for a rod...The St Croix Mojo Inshore in 7' MH or the Triumph Surf 7' M. What do you guys think?

8 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

VIS76MHF. I have this rod for exactly what u describe 

I love the Avid line and think it's definitely noticeably better than either the Premier, Triumph, or Mojo...But hear me out. Maybe I'm wrong here but with my Avid I love how I can feel the bumps and texture inshore, however I think for simply casting out and reeling in the Avid might be a waste of money. For such a simple and non indepth method would an Avid show ANY improvements over a Mojo? 

Just throwing this out there.  If you are not set on 7ft.  I use a Century 1025.  8'6.  Its rated .5oz - 2.5.  I would say it's over rated at 2.5.  1.5 I think is the top for performance.  It is an absolute fun time catching everything from Whiting, pompano, small jacks etc.  It has power to catch larger fish like schoolie bass and blues.   Have taken large black drum and redfish.  Pomp jigs, small paddletails and tins like deadly dicks, graves and crippled herring.  You will feel absolutely everything.  It's a moderate blank 70/30 split.

GL whichever way you go and have fun.

42 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

I love the Avid line and think it's definitely noticeably better than either the Premier, Triumph, or Mojo...But hear me out. Maybe I'm wrong here but with my Avid I love how I can feel the bumps and texture inshore, however I think for simply casting out and reeling in the Avid might be a waste of money. For such a simple and non indepth method would an Avid show ANY improvements over a Mojo? 

The new mojo is very nice. I’ve read some stories about rods breaking but hopefully the kinks get worked out. I believe it’s essentially the replacement for the tidemaster. Mojo has same line rating specs as avid. That 7’6 avid I have paired with a 4000 sustain I was fishing next to a buddy and he had 10ft surf rod with vs150 he couldn’t believe how far I was casting metals/epoxies on that little inshore rod. 

Either way you go, for a 7’ to 7.5’ rod length, I would consider an inshore rod over a surf rod.  At those shorter rod lengths, the longer butt length of the surf style rods become an annoyance when casting IMO.  I much prefer the shorter more comfortable inshore style butt lengths for casting 7’ to 7.5’ spinning rods.

10 mins ago, Water Dog said:

Either way you go, for a 7’ to 7.5’ rod length, I would consider an inshore rod over a surf rod.  At those shorter rod lengths, the longer butt length of the surf style rods become an annoyance when casting IMO.  I much prefer the shorter more comfortable inshore style butt lengths for casting 7’ to 7.5’ spinning rods.

I think that's good advice.

7'6 Mojo Inshore looks pretty good

If you aren’t dead set on length of rod, I’d look for a good deal on the newer gsb 8’ surf rod by lamiglas. This is my go to schoolie rod and it hands .5oz up to 1.5oz with absolutely no problems. I would highly recommend this rod to just about anyone. It’s the most versatile spinning rod I have found for light surfcasting or inshore boat fishing.

I have a rod on the way.

Will be my first non St Croix rod... I got a 7'6 Shimano Teramar Medium Heavy with Extra Fast action. For $129 with free shipping I figured what could I lose.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:01 AM, Lxpaul6 said:

If you aren’t dead set on length of rod, I’d look for a good deal on the newer gsb 8’ surf rod by lamiglas. This is my go to schoolie rod and it hands .5oz up to 1.5oz with absolutely no problems. I would highly recommend this rod to just about anyone. It’s the most versatile spinning rod I have found for light surfcasting or inshore boat fishing.

This is a excellent rod for what he wants I have a custom built on that blank and love it. But both are way over the price range of the rods he mentioned. I would recommend a 7’ mh tidemaster if you want 7’

10 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

I have a rod on the way

Great news , Get about 25 more and you will be caught up with the rest of us . Hope it works good for ya !