Darth Baiter

Vinyl Fence on Retaining Wall

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I'd like to replace the rickety wood fence in the pic below with vinyl privacy fence.  I don't want to core drill the wall, nor the walkway inside the wall, in order to mount the new fence.  Wall is right on the property line so outside is not an option.  Are there surface mounts available for 4" or 5" vinyl posts that I can lag into concrete?  Current fence is 42", new would be the same or lower.

Fence.JPG

I'd like to do vinyl fence with vinyl posts.  Current posts have brackets mounted in the same direction the fence runs, probably why the fence wobbles back and forth.  New posts will have brackets inside and outside the posts adding lateral stability.  Old fence is not my handiwork.

fence2.JPG

If you can tap-con brackets onto the other two sides of each post, you may be able to stabilize the posts enough to then use vinyl sleeves to cover them. Then use vinyl fencing between each.

If not, I would use these :

1366d-hd_lmt-blu-mount_main.jpg.6d3f980ccd275462fa19a5305abc2a80.jpg

Tap con to the concrete, slip the vinyl sleeve over, and go.

Shop around if you choose them, as I've seen prices vary by $20.00 from place to place. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

If the centers are correct, can you possibly slip the new vinyl posts over the existing 4x4 posts. If you have no access to the other side, heavy L-brackets on your side may help.

A wood 4x4 wood cap attached to the top of the concrete could give you some further options for attaching the vinyl posts.

3 hours ago, cheech said:

A wood 4x4 wood cap attached to the top of the concrete could give you some further options for attaching the vinyl posts.

Doing that would only move a weak joint up 3 1/2". Still a weak joint. 

14 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Doing that would only move a weak joint up 3 1/2". Still a weak joint. 

Yes, it’s not much support. A wood post with a half lap, attached with lags, bolts or countersunk threaded rod could add more support.

Found this at Homies: Veranda 4 in. x 4 in. Vinyl Fence Post Concrete Mount. 

Now if I could only figure out how to show a pic and instructions on SOL

Edited by Darth Baiter

Craig, they would work. And only one hole to drill.

But again, you're just moving that weak point up a few more inches. The ones I showed ( and all the rest like them) require 4 holes drilled yes, but they stand from 36"  up to the 42" that you want. No weak points.

Edited by Ben Lippen

9 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Craig, they would work. And only one hole to drill.

But again, you're just moving that weak point up a few more inches. The ones I showed ( and all the rest like them) require 4 holes drilled yes, but they stand from 36"  up to the 42" that you want. No weak points.

I found a link to the ones you showed.  I assume you slide a 4x4 vinyl post right over top.

Maybe $3 more each for those over the Homies option.

Edited by Darth Baiter

Just now, Darth Baiter said:

I found a link to the ones you showed.  I assume you slide a 4x4 vinyl post right over top.

Yupyup. We've ben using them for years. 

17 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yupyup. We've ben using them for years. 

A couple years ago I used a version that had a bigger base plate with tapped holes with bolts between the corners . Made it easy to adjust for plumb. Can't remember the brand. 

The honest way to do it is unfortunate core drill drop 2 rebar for each post drop post on rebar then add concrete inside post ,   Any other way you will end up picking up your fence after high winds 

6 hours ago, Jayfish said:

The honest way to do it is unfortunate core drill drop 2 rebar for each post drop post on rebar then add concrete inside post ,   Any other way you will end up picking up your fence after high winds 

That all depends on what his footing really is.

Still think that any small anchor holding those post will fail especially with a pvc fence once you start getting stiff winds.   I would rather over do it then donut over again.  Never worried about my fence during any of these high wind storms