Ash

question about blitzes

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

How many were on the albie blitz bite in moco 2018.  Not sure if I could have that beat.  6hrs of albies.   I couldn’t feel my arms the next day.  

you would be standing there and all of a sudden washing machine.  Was awesome. 

Definitely was spoiled 2017 and 2018. Had days of over 20 in a few hours. Pretty fun times they were for sure. Where'd they all go!!!

8 hours ago, Goldy said:

How many were on the albie blitz bite in moco 2018.  Not sure if I could have that beat.  6hrs of albies.   I couldn’t feel my arms the next day.  

I was there..best surf fishing experience in my life! I even took one home for the table..eaten raw with soy, it was actually pretty good! Cooked some, it went to the cat.

9 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

Was the first after dark little blitz I ever witnessed. Bass pushing bunker onto the beach. 
I think it was ‘15 we had them into January on herring. And correct me if I’m wrong, gator blues were around with them too late that year? I remember the day after Christmas in the pocket. All on herring. mostly large fish again and I thought gators mixed in with them. 

Yes solid blues

I'll always remember the first blitz I ever saw, about 10 years ago when I first started to fish the surf. It was at a popular jetty in the spring in monmouth county, and 30-40lb bass had bunker pinned to the jetty.

I didn't have korkers and being a total newbie I didn't dare venture out into the lineup where guys were packed tight so I just observed for a little while before later trying from the sand. I saw more big bass walked off the beach that day than any other. It was like bowling balls were being dropped out of the sky - huge explosions. Never seen anything like it since, but it really got me hooked into the sport. 

Been in plenty of blitzes but never anything with the size of fish I saw that day.

Edited by Heavy Seas

11 mins ago, Heavy Seas said:

I'll always remember the first blitz I ever saw, about 10 years ago when I first started to fish the surf. It was at a popular jetty in the spring in monmouth county, and 30-40lb bass had bunker pinned to the jetty.

I didn't have korkers and being a total newbie I didn't dare venture out into the lineup where guys were packed tight so I just observed for a little while before later trying from the sand. I saw more big bass walked off the beach that day than any other. It was like bowling balls were being dropped out of the sky - huge explosions. Never seen anything like it since, but it really got me hooked into the sport. 

Been in plenty of blitzes but never anything with the size of fish I saw that day.

Those were real blitzes. They happened like clockwork too. I wonder all of the time if we'll ever see fishing like that again. For anybody that hasn't seen big bass push bunker to the beach, Here's what it looks like 

4 hours ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

Those were real blitzes. They happened like clockwork too. I wonder all of the time if we'll ever see fishing like that again. For anybody that hasn't seen big bass push bunker to the beach, Here's what it looks like 

nice video, music meh...

I sat on a blitz of fish on that beach during a blowout tide thanksgiving weekend i think it was '00.  3 hours i had fish in front of me eating pretty much anything. i was alone. mid way through some guy walks down with a really big 4-5oz wooden swimmer, stands next to me even though there was room and fish everywhere. he makes one cast and hooks two 24" fish on the swimmer at the same time. unhooks them, looks at me and says there are no big fish here and walks back to his car.  no birds because there were blitzes that day in many places occurring simultaneously along the coast. these weren't big fish but there were enough 10-15lbers mixed in with the 4-6lbers to keep you on your toes. 

I never received a cell phone call, i was on my way south to fish for the weekend and just took a look and saw some peanuts and swirls. by the time i got my boots on it was boiling bass and lasted until dark. that night i had 20 fish on small swimmers 5-6 miles south of that beach and the next morning from dawn to lunch time another 30 mostly on topwater. it was a good couple days of fishing for sure but fairly common, i would have been surprised on any given fall day in the late 90's if i didn't see some blitz activity. lots of times i would leave a blitz when it got crowded to go find one less crowded. 

I’m no expert - but I have been fishing saltwater for a good amount of time, about 20 yrs.

All of this is from the perspective from the beach, surf casting. From the boat is a totally different story. 

One of the main things that I observed over the year was the abrupt change after Sandy. It seems that there was either some food chain or structure change along the beach. Maybe it was what ever the bait feeds off of? I’m not like a hyper environmentalist - but remember all the toxins that were released into the water. I remember helping pump people’s basements out after Sandy (after being completely flooded) and waking up to a few basements and seeing an oil slick on top of the water- there was an oil tank in the basement that must have leaked/emptied! I walked away lol wouldn’t touch that! But someone pumped it out- and where it went?? Idk... and this was just in belmar! 

Anyways- prior to Sandy- blitzes on the beach were a common thing. I remember groups of guys who would ONLY FISH if the fish were blitzing- they would drive around with binoculars and work together to find them- I mainly remember the group of guys from Asbury/LA.

Funny story, my son asked the other day to look through some fishing lures- he is young and just likes checking them out. So I pulled out a box of old plugs- we are going thru and he pulled out this beat up pencil popper - all chewed up- and asked why it has teeth marks on it and only one hook- well it was my blue fish blitz plug lol brought back memories and thought about why it wasn’t in rotation anymore... really sad. 

Years ago blitzes were commonplace- you would be driving down ocean ave , on your way somewhere- all the sudden pass some funny looking water- notice a blitz... stop and jump out and cast a few- catch a few, then back in the truck and onto where ever you were going lol you’d show up stinking of fish!

anyways- to the OP, if your interested in getting into a blitz, maybe look into a boat charter. They cost some money- but if you get 3 or 4 friends it can be 100-200 each and it’s worth it. Check out capt Jim from ShoreCatch. Idk the going rate, but it’s worth a call to ask. Also, generally in the spring time blitzes are more commonplace. 

Edited by Mr.Belmar

I really think the Sandy theory is just a coincidence in timing. There were fish after the hurricane that season. Plus 2015 and 16 was good fishing every day that conditions allowed. we've been getting hurricanes here for as long as stripers have existed. I could be wrong of course. As for the music - not my video! 

19 hours ago, Goldy said:

This same day I was on an albie blitz in Ocean County. And yeah- it was to a point where I almost didnt want to cast anymore lol

Took me a while, last fall I had Mondays/tuesdays off and I went to MTK every week for 6 weeks straight \ but finally got into some insane blitzes, fish at our feet, every cast, biggest 30" but still a sight to see. Also seen some bunker blitzes in and around inlets on N/NW blows 

Also this past October, birds were working hard in the inlet right close to the beach, stopped walking to the beach turned around, fish were blitzing on sandeels up to #35 

September/October in MTK, fish oftennn 

Sandeels hit or miss

May/June early mornings pray for bunker to come in 

I am with BrainZ in the 90’s blitzes were very common, anytime you had a NW or NE wind it was popping off up and down the coast, you didn’t chase you moved to find one where you had some more space or fewer bluefish It was very common to see guys sitting around, smoking, talking while it was blowing up in front of them / they needed a rest/break

i think there are just less bass around these days and the bigger fish mostly stay off shore as forage is prevalent 

Edited by suntzu

On 11/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, Ash said:

i've been fishing, on and off, for 10+ years now.  in that time, i have never come across a blitz on a beach.  my question is: how long did you fish before you came across one?

for some reason, i've been thinking a lot about this.

Last true blitz I was part of was probably around 2007 although I fished more often then. 1st or 2nd week of December ESE so I left work sick bout 11 in morning. Ibsp surf looked good but dead walked to almost gillikens one guy hooked up in a pocket/hole. Bass and blues had peanuts trapped in hole. You could tell when blues were in front of you or when it was bass by splashing. It was weird when didn’t get hit on cast. Finally a guy illegally drove that part of beach to check out then cavalry came and I left around 3pm. As walked back down beach I told everyone if u want fish they are all in one 30 yard pocket.

11 hours ago, suntzu said:

I am with BrainZ in the 90’s blitzes were very common, anytime you had a NW or NE wind it was popping off up and down the coast, you didn’t chase you moved to find one where you had some more space or fewer bluefish It was very common to see guys sitting around, smoking, talking while it was blowing up in front of them / they needed a rest/break

i think there are just less bass around these days and the bigger fish mostly stay off shore as forage is prevalent 

memory lane...many weekends in the fall it was just my uncle and i inhabiting our family's beach house. we would usually meet up around 8-9pm and compare notes on what we had done after work fishing "our way down" .  we would formulate a plan for pre dawn and then fish together working a stretch of beach until we located something worth sitting on. the locating process was involved casting/leap froggin each other, if we had hits or landed fish we would take a few extra casts. rinse /repeat. 

we would usually agree to something like "lets grab breakfast at the diner around 8:30"  more often than not in the 90's we didn't walk in to the diner until lunch time, starving, exhausted and hamburger looking hands. in '97 i fished the same 1 mile stretch of beach for an entire season day and nights. there was always fish there and in the early fall the blitzes on mullet and peanuts it was mixed bag blitzes of bass blues and weakfish. 

I hope my kids get to experience at least some piece of that good fishing. and my version of good fishing pales in comparison to guys that were doing it 20-30 years before i started!! 

I have never been one to point the finger in any one direction for the poor NJ fishing these days. it is a cumulative effect of several key factors.  sand pumping and destruction of jetties is one piece, less fish/poor spawning recruitment is another, shifting weather patterns effecting bait migrations is another and the sheer volume of people is another.  there are probably a whole slew of other variables occurring near/offshore that we don't even know about.   for me personally i miss the jetties most of all, even if you didn't get on them they provided predictable soft structure on the adjacent beaches.

This thread indulged me a nice walk down memory lane and i have been thinking about many of the blitzes i was fortunate enough to enjoy with and without my uncle. 

18 hours ago, BobBass said:

This same day I was on an albie blitz in Ocean County. And yeah- it was to a point where I almost didnt want to cast anymore lol

It’s strange how it went from really good to nada the following year.