Ash

question about blitzes

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

i've been fishing, on and off, for 10+ years now.  in that time, i have never come across a blitz on a beach.  my question is: how long did you fish before you came across one?

 

for some reason, i've been thinking a lot about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How often are you fishing in the spring and fall?  If its a couple times a week I would think you should have stumbled into one by now.  Alot of guys also have an information network to get intel as to when/where they are happening, some blitzes last for hours and some for minutes.  Alot of people also use the term blitz pretty loosely, what some may consider a blitz now may be nothing compared to what someone else has experienced. That being said most of the blitzes you hear about are going to be on adult/peanut bunker.  We have a ton of bunker, all of raritan bay has been choked with them all year and in he previous years but we have had a lack of big bass populations to attack them in full force like you might have seen in the early 2000s on the beach.  They certainly still do happen out in open water, but to a much lesser degree than in years past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't start surf fishing until '95.  i pretty much stopped fishing for bass during the day around '01.  between 95 - 01 my time was spent 50/50 day night.   for me it was pretty common to see  a blitz at least a couple times a week from sept - thanksgiving in that 6 year period.  

there was actually Fisherman mag article written called teh milk run that instructed the reader how to drive along ocean ave and where to get out and check with binocs!  

I had my favorite spots and they usually had bait on them of one kind or another so i would just drive to them and wait it out.  if the bait wasn't there i would go to another spot. usually you didn't have to wait to long before bass/blues showed up.  sometimes you did. i remember waiting at spot in southern moco one october there was an acre of 4-6" bunker in front of us, no one around on a saturday!! we waited there for 3 hours before teh fish decided to show up . 

some blitzes lasted a few minutes some were hours.   i can only really speak for that 6 year period but by my recollection it was a pretty common occurrence sept - thanksgiving + 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish nearly every day and have seen a few “blitzs” this fall, maybe 5, but not as many as i did 10/20 years ago when it was a regular occurrence where I fished in the RB/ Sandy Hook area. On my beach there have been almost no peanuts this year, and that is the forage I typically associate with blitz conditions 

that said i have caught fish every single day this month, but for Friday and today when I did not fish, some days up to 40 fish which have been on sandeels, mullet, rainfish and alewife. You would not have known the fish were there if you were not fishing-I would stop fishing when the binocular boys were visible so that they would not see me catching 

also - until 10 days ago its was mostly a night time bite. While the binocular boys are driving up and down ocean ave checking the message boards and exchanging texts from their cars; fishermen are catching fish :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bbfish said:

How often are you fishing in the spring and fall?  If its a couple times a week I would think you should have stumbled into one by now.  

this fall, i'm going out at least 3-4 times a week.  for example, this weekend, i fished four days straight from thurs-sun and didn't see squat.  bad luck, i suppose.  in the spring, i typically pass on march and start again in april.  but as soon as may rolls around, i'm switching over to fluke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Ash said:

this fall, i'm going out at least 3-4 times a week.  for example, this weekend, i fished four days straight from thurs-sun and didn't see squat.  bad luck, i suppose.  in the spring, i typically pass on march and start again in april.  but as soon as may rolls around, i'm switching over to fluke.

 

I wouldnt expect fishing this fall to get much better, the majority of big fish are long gone.  There will probably be blitz like conditions with rats/schoolies on sandeels, if thats your thing keep at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....haven't seen a Blitz at the beach since they buried the jettys....this word is one of the most over used and mostly by those who never ever witnessed a true Blitz / assault on bait fish in the surf zone....they see a pop up / a small school of fish feeding for a few minutes and it's...a Blitz.....sorry you missed it, they were monumental to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, bbfish said:

 

I wouldnt expect fishing this fall to get much better, the majority of big fish are long gone.  There will probably be blitz like conditions with rats/schoolies on sandeels, if thats your thing keep at it.

Why do you crush everyone's hopes... I'm hoping for a rat blitz at least... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Goldy said:

Why do you crush everyone's hopes... I'm hoping for a rat blitz at least... 

 

Because while its fun to scale down tackle and just catch fish, it should also be eye opening that the species is in an obvious decline.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As December nears unfortunately your chances of seeing a full on blitz grows less by the day.  Certainly October into November would offer great opportunities when you found the bunker.  Suddenly finding bunker became a challenge.  A great campaign was put on to protect the bunker.  No food for the bass = no bass.  And it worked, stricter regs were put into play and now bunker can be found by the miles anymore not just pods here and there.  And there's no fish on em. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, bbfish said:

 

Because while its fun to scale down tackle and just catch fish, it should also be eye opening that the species is in an obvious decline.  

BB- I agree 100%.  When the head boats are steaming north to jig 16-24" fish in the channel all weekend and bonus tag them, it will be over soon.

 

I think the problem we had no blitzes this fall in monmouth county (other than the bluefish one i was on, not know of others), is purely due to the dredging and the pumping.. I really think the noises from the pumping doesn't help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Goldy said:

BB- I agree 100%.  When the head boats are steaming north to jig 16-24" fish in the channel all weekend and bonus tag them, it will be over soon.

 

I think the problem we had no blitzes this fall in monmouth county (other than the bluefish one i was on, not know of others), is purely due to the dredging and the pumping.. I really think the noises from the pumping doesn't help.  

Dredging only occurs in certain sections at a time.  There still miles of coast line far enough away from the dredge zone that would remain unaffected by noise. 

Edited by fishless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, fishless said:

Dredging only occurs in certain sections at a time.  There still miles of coast line far enough away from the dredge zone that would remain unaffected by noise. 

Bob,

 

The dredging and pumping so close in monmouth is my suspicion.   I also think that that didn't help the sand eels from setting up in moco (north of deal) like we usually have last couple of years

 

The best part about it, we will never know..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Goldy said:

BB- I agree 100%.  When the head boats are steaming north to jig 16-24" fish in the channel all weekend and bonus tag them, it will be over soon.

 

I think the problem we had no blitzes this fall in monmouth county (other than the bluefish one i was on, not know of others), is purely due to the dredging and the pumping.. I really think the noises from the pumping doesn't help.  

 

I had a couple really good bites of big fish from the boat this year that lasted a few days.  The problem is they should be lasting for weeks.  Yes pumping sucks, but instead of a constant stream of fish heading south, we have a few pockets of fish that come and go quickly.  Aside from the bayshore I've almost entirely given up on surf fishing the open beach.  Freeze my nuts off for the off chance of "possibly" getting into keeper sized fish?  No thanks.

 

Stopping dredging will probably help, there just really needs to be more quality fish around.  I honestly feel bad for the guys who think getting into a rat blitz with a few keepers here and there is the bite "getting good"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Goldy said:

Bob,

 

The dredging and pumping so close in monmouth is my suspicion.   I also think that that didn't help the sand eels from setting up in moco (north of deal) like we usually have last couple of years

 

The best part about it, we will never know..

I'm just saying from boat experience and sand alike, I was pulling bass on the boat in the vacantly of the dredge barge before it moved from Big Monmouth. 

 

I share this story, on a tog trip 3 yrs back a friend tied on a camera just above his rig in about 60 ft of water so we could see what was taking place down at the bottom.  Another friend on the boat was tapping on a snail shell trying to crack it and use the snail for bait.  When we watched the video from the bottom you could hear the tapping on the snail shell just like it was next to the camera.  Point is, as we know, sound thru water travels very far at loud decibels.  If the sound of dredging were a factor I don't think I would have done so well even by boat.  I don't think it helps but I don't think it pushes fish away entirely.

 

Fall, 2019, dredging off Mantoloking, the fishing was best closest to that barge off shore.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.