Reel Fly 18

FG knot failure in standard Power Pro?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

I’ve been using FG knots to attach my Fireline (Original) for years and have had a few where the locks start to unravel from casting. Usually FG the knots outlast the leaders so not a big deal. I recently tried switching over to standard Power Pro. Yesterday I lost 4 leaders and lures and a couple of fish because the locks came undone. I’ve tried locking the knot with different combinations of halve hitches and Rizuttos. None held for very long. I’ve tried super gluing the lock but it doesn’t last much longer. Seems the glue is brittle and chips out in short time.

After much frustration loosing rigs I reverted to a back to back Uni knot, but the stutter of it going through the guides caused several wind style knots that wrapped around the stripper guide and lost the rigs again. I’m not used to this much failure with the Fireline. I spent a good deal of yesterday’s trip retying and replacing leaders and lures. 
Has anyone had this problem with FG knots tied with Power Pro?

Is there a solution to prevent the locks from unraveling?

I’m using 15lb Power Pro with 15lb mono

And yes I’ve tried alternating the direction of the half hitches.

Thanks in advance 

Ron

Thread the power pro thru thirty or fifty pound hollow core braid using a tapestry needle one rod length take what ever bubbles out of hollow core then apply a minute film of gorilla for entire length of hollow core.add your mono rig to the hollow core via swivel ,the swivel only holds the rig to the hollow core no need to go thru the eyelids of the rod..now you have the Chinese finger trap affect as well as the glue it's not moving and extremely strong will not slip no knots no swivels going thru guides. Fished all summer off the beach with the same reel got hung up on rocks caught fish with no failures ...the tapestry needles can be found in any sewing store

Edited by Surf bomber

4 mins ago, ccb said:

FG is to much BS for me. 
Takes to long , you want a knot that you can tie with your eyes closed.  At Night ? 

My thoughts exactly, I’d stick with the Alberto.

41 mins ago, ASrod said:

You need a significantly heavier mono for the FG knot to be able to dig in. It’s not meant to be fished with two low diameter lines.

Thanks for the reply I have to respectfully disagree. I’ve used the FG knot for years in 15 lb mono and sometimes lighter. The issue I’m having isn’t that it doesn’t dig into the mono, it’s the locking half hitches unravel and don’t stay locked. This happens after several hours of use with the Fireline but probably minutes of use with Power Pro. The failure with the Fireline is slow enough to be caught and fixed between trips and thus acceptable. The failure with the Power Pro is rapid and costly and unacceptable. The difference in performance is the main line itself.

As to the other replies, yes the FG knot is a pain but it’s ridiculously strong and smooth so it’s hard to go back to clunky noisey knots. Granted I don’t usually tie FG knots during bad weather or oceans. I’m sure there’s a solution to my dilemma. Even if it’s going back to Fireline 

Edited by Reel Fly 18

44 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Thread the power pro thru thirty or fifty pound hollow core braid using a tapestry needle one rod length take what ever bubbles out of hollow core then apply a minute film of gorilla for entire length of hollow core.add your mono rig to the hollow core via swivel ,the swivel only holds the rig to the hollow core no need to go thru the eyelids of the rod..now you have the Chinese finger trap affect as well as the glue it's not moving and extremely strong will not slip no knots no swivels going thru guides. Fished all summer off the beach with the same reel got hung up on rocks caught fish with no failures ...the tapestry needles can be found in any sewing store

If your going to do all that, then tie it to a swivel, why not just tie the PP to the swivel?

I was trying to stop the slipping problem...take the mono leader and thread four feet of it thru the hollow core and thread 4 feet of the main line ....you have a mono leader attached to power pro with out a knot.   The two ends will touch in the middle of the hollow core...with the mono hanging out of the hollow core to make as long or as short as you like

Edited by Surf bomber

44 mins ago, ccb said:

FG is to much BS for me. 
Takes to long , you want a knot that you can tie with your eyes closed.  At Night ? 

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.I have a hard time tying it sitting at a bench. No knot is 100%.I'll stick with the mod. Albright(Alberto)

1 hour ago, Bogey said:

My thoughts exactly, I’d stick with the Alberto.

Alberto here also , the way Scoob does it on his channel. Everytime I get hung in the rocks it breaks off at the jig , never the connection.

Edited by BridgeTender
typo

15 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

I was trying to stop the slipping problem...take the mono leader and thread four feet of it thru the hollow core and thread 4 feet of the main line ....you have a mono leader attached to power pro with out a knot.   The two ends will touch in the middle of the hollow core...with the mono hanging out of the hollow core to make as long or as short as you like

Ok. Got it now. 

That's pretty interesting.  

Hold up to big fish?

29 mins ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

Thanks for the reply I have to respectfully disagree. I’ve used the FG knot for years in 15 lb mono and sometimes lighter. The issue I’m having isn’t that it doesn’t dig into the mono, it’s the locking half hitches unravel and don’t stay locked. This happens after several hours of use with the Fireline but probably minutes of use with Power Pro. The failure with the Fireline is slow enough to be caught and fixed between trips and thus acceptable. The failure with the Power Pro is rapid and costly and unacceptable. The difference in performance is the main line itself.

As to the other replies, yes the FG knot is a pain but it’s ridiculously strong and smooth so it’s hard to go back to clunky noisey knots. Granted I don’t usually tie FG knots during bad weather or oceans. I’m sure there’s a solution to my dilemma. Even if it’s going back to Fireline 

if your fg knots are coming undone even after a few hours you need to be tying it differently. Ive used FG knots for an entire day of fishing and I have had 0 issues. When I first learned the knot a few years ago, I occasionally had the issues you described. Now I use excessive amounts of wraps, cinch it down as tight as possible, and use alternating half hitches as well as some that have as many as four loops. and make sure the line is wet when you tie, it helps the half hitches lock down 

Here’s a photo of what I like mine to look like. In this it’s 50 pound j braid to 130 pound mono, and I like this combination to have a knot at least 3 inches long

2F0350DE-A9B5-4443-ACA7-2B8FC3F02683.jpeg

The half hitches are probably the problem . There really are none in a rizzuto finish except the last knot. Look at brigsbys video . The rizzuto does all the locking no half hitches

Edited by Jim McFeeley