Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MartyK

You've Heard This Before

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was just reading (something actually believable) in the news that small businesses are hurting, and I presume this includes baitshops.    Admittedly, I am fortunate enough to have 3 great shops within 45 minutes and support them regularly.   I want them all to survive.   This holiday season I'm going to try to help them out by purchasing t-shirts  I can give as gifts and even gift cards that I can use myself next season.   I realize many of us are hurting right now and this may not be feasible for everyone, but if it is possible I urge anyone who can afford gifts to think about the local baitshops.    

Happy Holidays to you all.   

31 mins ago, MartyK said:

I was just reading (something actually believable) in the news that small businesses are hurting, and I presume this includes baitshops.    Admittedly, I am fortunate enough to have 3 great shops within 45 minutes and support them regularly.   I want them all to survive.   This holiday season I'm going to try to help them out by purchasing t-shirts  I can give as gifts and even gift cards that I can use myself next season.   I realize many of us are hurting right now and this may not be feasible for everyone, but if it is possible I urge anyone who can afford gifts to think about the local baitshops.    

Happy Holidays to you all.   

Thanks for posting and I agree with you.

I appreciate the new focus on supporting small and local businesses, as they employ us, our neighbors and contribute to our community in many ways, including making them more vibrant.

That being said, I am happy to say that the two B&T shops I frequent are saying they've had a very successful year.  I do and will continue to support them.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

I was thinking the same thing, fishing gear has been selling like toilet paper. The big tackle shop by me didn't have much of a black Friday sale which reinforced that suspicion. That being said I agree support your local shop.

Great suggestions Marty.

From a marketing/advertising standpoint, the fact that they can make a buck on a shirt, hat, or hoodie, and then get their name out traveling around, is more money they can make without any further cash layout. 

I remember earlier this year, at the start of "The big Covid shutdown", that many fishermen were complaining that the shelves at their local tackle stores were pretty much wiped clean of high profile fishing gear and fishing supplies.  At the local WalMart store the rod/reel combos were decimated.  I encountered 2x+ fishing pressure at many freshwater places I fish during April & May.  And heavier than normal pressure continued throughout most of the summer.  So I'm guessing that tackle shops did pretty well.

I think they did well also, with lots of lean years prior to that. What remains to be determined is whether the new rekindling of fishing will be good for the sport. Saw a lot of trash in spots that were somewhat respected in the past. 

Just came across this, business must be able to document a 35% business reduction.

Fishing Industry Gets $11.2 Million Lifeline Through CARES Act Funds