Notable Catch

Light weight, breathable, waterproof cargo pants. Such thing exists?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So, I've been looking for this kind of pants for Spring, especially Summer and Fall to wear on Jetty.  Since when it gets cold enough, I wear waders and it has enough storage and the jacket has pockets too.

I've been looking for waterproof cargo pants that I can wear in hot weather for quite some time.  All that I found were ones they claim it's waterproof but reviews say otherwise or It's completely sealed and/or covered up to the chest that looks very hot.

What I'm looking for is:

* Cargo pants

* Waterproof

* Light color such as Kakhi

* Lightweight and breathable(Since it will be used mostly in hot weather)

Does such a thing exist?  Especially at a reasonable price?

Please tell me there is.

Posted (edited)

Breathable and waterproof don't go together. There are plenty that will shed small amounts of water and  dry quickly, but none that will be completely waterproof and not get too hot. Especially on a jetty when you're just dealing with occasional splashes, I would personally just deal with getting wet and buy pants that dry quickly. I use Marmot Transcends ($40 on moose jaw right now) which also convert into shorts. They are DWR coated so will shed drizzle and spray, but they're going to get wet if hit by a decent wave...they dry very quickly though.

Edited by C.Robin

I was on a jetty two weeks ago with several guys wearing traditional PVC bibs like Grundens. It was windy, ocean was rolling and it was about 85*. We were getting soaked as the swell crashed on the jetty putting up buckets of spray. Not breathable obviously but with open top and wearing sandal on feet, enough air circulation. 

If you want breathable, go to Bass Pro Shops site and see what they offer for the freshwater tournament angler. Prices are usually cheap relative to high-end brands like Simms or Arc'teryx and they should work unless they are salt-phyilic and the salt compromises their pores like the original Goretex where that ruined both breathability and waterproofness. 

Another alternative is to go to West Marine and see what they have for sailboat crews. That will be pricey however. 

9FC48402-90D8-4216-B1A9-B8F588A8E03D_1_105_c.jpeg.0736494c8ad4fb5df3f1f9420046c4f0.jpeg

Bumping this 2 year old thread (kind of pirating too).  Looking at Frogg Togg Pro Action pants which are like $30.  I want to stay cheap as possible, for "waterproof/breathable" pants for warm weather kayak fishing.  Anyone use these and are they comfortable?  Weird material on them, almost like a paper bag.  But cheap and light enough that I wouldn't feel bad about beating them up.

16 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Bumping this 2 year old thread (kind of pirating too).  Looking at Frogg Togg Pro Action pants which are like $30.  I want to stay cheap as possible, for "waterproof/breathable" pants for warm weather kayak fishing.  Anyone use these and are they comfortable?  Weird material on them, almost like a paper bag.  But cheap and light enough that I wouldn't feel bad about beating them up.

geez, a Flashback Friday post from two years ago? I did not even remember posting the photo of Pickle Ricky and his posse. 

and idea, check out hiking/skiing/snowboarding shell pants, not insulated. this pair on Amazon looks interesting and i might pick up a pair for winter fishing on the beach here in FL. These do have a fleece lining but it does not appear to be real thick 

6380de9bcd7d2_ScreenShot2022-11-25at10_25_57AM.png.cd60fab0b005ad6eecfbe5717957953a.png

Posted (edited)

I am interested in this thread as well.   I only use my kayak from May through September (back bay) and would like to get something that keeps my legs warm and somewhat dry in the early May timeframe.   Kayak equals wet so I have gotten by with Sealskinz socks under sandals and bathing suit shorts.  On top, one or two tank tops, sometimes a surfer's rash guard, under the pfd since my arms get wet up to my shoulders anyway.   (Come early June and I am down to just sandals, shorts and one tanktop.)  I was thinking of just rain suit bottoms with a rubber band at the ankles.   A little concerned about flipping dressed like that though.  I do have PVC waist-high boot waders that I use surfcasting but the boots are a little "cloddy" for the yak.

Edited by pequa11

5 mins ago, pequa11 said:

I am interested in this thread as well.   I only use my kayak from May through September (back bay) and would like to get something that keeps my legs warm and somewhat dry in the early May timeframe.   Kayak equals wet so I have gotten by with Sealskinz socks under sandals and bathing suit shorts.  On top, one or two tank tops, sometimes a surfer's rash guard, under the pfd since my arms get wet up to my shoulders anyway.   (Come early June and I am down to just sandals, shorts and one tanktop.)  I was thinking of just rain suit bottoms with a rubber band at the ankles.   A little concerned about flipping dressed like that though.  I do have PVC waist-high boot waders that I use surfcasting but the boots are a little "cloddy" for the yak.

el cheapo stocking foot waist waders for the yak, probably get away without boots sitting in the yak too.

2 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

el cheapo stocking foot waist waders for the yak, probably get away without boots sitting in the yak too.

oh, now you just reminded me that I have a pair of Cabala waist-high breathables that i bought years ago as backup on trips. yes, need boots but easier that some options. 

I have Cabela's stocking foot pants waders and neoprene boots, but they get hot in summer.  I used to wear shorts, but my legs turn into sun baked lobsters after a trip.  Thise Frogg Toggs seem super light, if I can find a pair that isn't black.  Just wondering how comfortable they are without wearing pant under them.

Posted (edited)

Well, not exactly "cargo" pants, but take a look at "Magellan Outdoors Men's Back Country Zipoff Nylon Pants". I think they also have non zipoff, but I find these to be great as you can use them in more conditions. Actually, didnt realize you wanted waterproof. These are basically a bathing suit material designed to get wet...

Edited by FallenKell

Well, I saw some of you respond to this.  As OP, I ended up getting below.  Little different than what I was looking for but I just couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I end up keep using Columbia Silver Ridge convertible for daily use and use this pants when I know it's going to be rough and will get wet or it's raining.

It's kept me dry and have enough pockets to store my phone, wallet keys ect dry.  Also, have a zipper on the side that you can open from the hip to close to the knees for ventilation.

Since I washed this in the washing machine a couple of times, it lost it's waterproofness so I end up getting a spray to waterproof it again and just wash it down with fresh water after I'm done.  Working out great so far, I'm completely dry with this pants and a rain jacket.

Pants.jpg

Posted (edited)

On 11/25/2022 at 10:37 AM, flyangler said:

6380de9bcd7d2_ScreenShot2022-11-25at10_25_57AM.png.cd60fab0b005ad6eecfbe5717957953a.png

So i ordered four different pairs from this BenBoy maker, they are NOT waterproof, no matter what they claim. I went with two different models and each in a large or XL. 

Observations: 

The length is like 36", I am a 30" and I am not about to have them "hemmed" for money. Might be better over ski or board boots, but now bare feet which was my intent. 

Also, one model's material is a knit, not even a light softshell, and even with a coating of water repelling spray, they would soak in no time. The other model is sort of a shortshell surface, might be better, but still not a Goretex laminate knockoff, not even close. 

All four are being returned to Amazon. Apologies if I offered false hope above. 

Edited by flyangler

Posted (edited)

With just doing a google search for wadding pants you will get results for things like what I posted and the person above you posted, which are pants essentially made from the same materials used to make bathing suits which are not waterproof, just designed to be in the water. I won't get Notable Catch results for waterproof/windproof pants that he is looking for.

Edited by FallenKell