rwalter7

Insulated Recessed Lighting Covers in Attic

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Homies sells insulated recessed lighting covers for recessed lights that are recessed into attic areas. I was thinking of using these to cover 2 overhead recessed LED lights in a walk in shower because I feel cold air during the cold season being pulled in when the boiler fires up (tankless water heater).  I'd like to cover them to contain any long term heat loss and to keep moisture and subsequently mold and mildew out of the attic but concerned about moisture buildup in the covers and possible mold and mildew damage to the ceiling and surrounding attic insulation around the lights.  The shower area does have an exhaust fan and I'm thinking as long as that is used there shouldn't be a problem.  Any thoughts on this and anything I'm missing?

Edited by rwalter7

Doing some looking the ones Home Depot have, tenmat, are fire resistant.

then looking at owens Corning ones, smart cap, are fire rated. Class A, which looking again. They have the highest rating available. 

Do some more research before committing and make sure you are comfortable with their safeness. 

Dollar wise id assume the HD are cheaper but you only have two to contend with. 

Other option is replace the existing with IC rating units. 

I have a ranch with many recessed lights. Cold air would flow down from the attic, especially in the bedroom. I had looked into those insulation covers as I was planning to add more insulation to attic floor. Instead, we had open cell foam insulation blown onto the underside of the roof decking/sheathing. Closed off all vents. That space is almost a conditioned space now and the house is warmer and burns less oil. 

If I were going to add those covers though, It would only be if I had LED bulb or unit installed. Heat of regular bulb was an issue for me.

Night, just gave me a thought for you. If you did take the existing lamp out and trim. Replaced with a led retro kit. Add a little foam trim insulation like you find in the isle with other stick on foam trim. Normally it’s by the garage door/exterior door insulation area. 

Add the foam around the radius of the trim just an inch in off the edge. Keep in mind to measure the distance from the edge of the trim to the edge of the opening. You might have to shorten that distance i mentioned. 

Some of the led kits now come with an adjustment of light color, soft to cool white. Also see if the are dimible too. If they are on a different switch than the fan you can then dim them. Get a dimmer led capable.   

8 hours ago, rwalter7 said:

I like the LED retrokit idea.  I can get rid of the existing cans.

Yeah, they are pretty slick. Somehow the only room without the LEDs or an LED retrokit is my office/quarantine bedroom....  January, after the bills have come in.

To be clear, you are keeping the cans. Just losing the bulb and the trim kit, including the one inside the can. Just have to be certain of your size, be it 4,5, or 6 inch hole when you order. Different light colors available. Also need an LED compatible dimmer.

Edited by nightfighter

Aren't your lights in the shower closed trims? If so the trim should have a gasket that shouldn't really let air in. The tenmat covers are really for fire rated ceilings. If your cans are ic rated you can insulate around them no clearance required only non ic cans need clearance they are typically white 

On 11/30/2020 at 5:26 PM, nightfighter said:

Yeah, they are pretty slick. Somehow the only room without the LEDs or an LED retrokit is my office/quarantine bedroom....  January, after the bills have come in.

To be clear, you are keeping the cans. Just losing the bulb and the trim kit, including the one inside the can. Just have to be certain of your size, be it 4,5, or 6 inch hole when you order. Different light colors available. Also need an LED compatible dimmer.

I  sell them.   they all today should be color selectable between 2700 and 5000k.   here is south jersey it seems most like the brighter color but over the bridge they seen to like the warmer color.    halo has them and they fit pretty much every can out there  either 4  or 5-6 combo.for new construction using the wafer led fixtures are so easy and cheap to use.they are so thin now they can be used for old construction also and are good for in the shower and outside under the eves.

i dont advertise on here so i cant put out any info but you could message me and i could maybe help you out.

but yes , i work for a family owned chain of 9 stores .

On 12/2/2020 at 0:40 PM, Kapfish said:

Aren't your lights in the shower closed trims? If so the trim should have a gasket that shouldn't really let air in. The tenmat covers are really for fire rated ceilings. If your cans are ic rated you can insulate around them no clearance required only non ic cans need clearance they are typically white 

Sorry for the late reply. 

I don't know.  I don't know if air is coming passed them or through them.  I haven't been in the attic to check them out.