RiverCommando215

Tips for mentoring a young man in the ways of Rockfish

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Greetings guys and gals.  I fell into helping a young man out with striper pursuit.  His folks and I are on the level, and he loves the whole sport.  It’s his plan to get into marine biology, and he has one year left in high school.  We dive together sometimes, and fish lightly in the easy to navigate spots.  His gear is sub par, and his knowledge is limited. He makes up for that with his passion and ethics.  He really helps ground me and show me to enjoy it as I can get too deep sometimes.  
My question is this: How do you mentor him without turning him into a full blown addict?  Is there a better way to mentor without putting him at risk physically or mentally?  He could get hurt just like I could, but there are levels to this game.  I don’t want to affect his studies, nor do I want to get him fully addicted.  At his age it’s too early to be pushing the limits, and his folks trust me with his life so I am trying to respect that.  As it stands I told him we won’t go full throttle but keep it at 50-60 percent.  If he chooses to take it to the next level on his own that’s his choice.  I am hoping to help him along the way and then let him fly on his own.  
   His experience is solid with Musky, snakehead, flathead, smallies, lmb, trout, and schoolies.  Thanks in advance for the help on this matter.  
RC

Don't show spots. If you do, they will become competition and bring others. I am done with trying to help. ****ing ungrateful folks and the ego starts.  Big fish change people. 

5 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Don't show spots. If you do, they will become competition and bring others. I am done with trying to help. ****ing ungrateful folks and the ego starts.  Big fish change people. 

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THISTHIS THIS THIS THIS

DO NOT EVER...EVER Take a newbie to your hide aways.

Newbies don't understand....Even if you explain it to them.....and they agree....They don't understand.

That’s one of the issues.  He knows of a spot or two.  So that cats outta the bag.  One positive is I already gave him the talk.  No social media, no YouTube vídeos, or taking a buddy to show off.  He has a good heart and takes instruction well.  If I stop helping him he will do it anyway.  There’s no stopping the young guy.  The issue is how do you help him manage the bug, and keep him from becoming another googan?  All the while keeping a professional relationship because we don’t need to be hanging out on Friday night or having him ask me to get him beer... lol

He has the conservation mindset.  We release em all.  I am teaching him about misdirection and how to navigate fishing around googans.  If you pull a 10 lber every guy shows up and thinks it’s the blitz of the century.  I was once a googan.  Now I am just a zombie.  
Big fish changed me for sure.  Had two chances in two years at a large but my gear and lack of experience led me to fail.  Those two fish changed my life.  

Slippery slope and tough question.

As far as making an “addict” that’s out of anybodies hands. You can show the ropes but from there who knows. Just the fact the kid likes the outdoors is great but he is young and there are many other things in life for him to discover yet.

As stated above I have helped others (as others helped me) and it has bit me in the ass. Will not stop me again it’s just In my nature.

There are many YouTube videos and books that would help him along his journey. This way you don’t have to mentor so much and he will find his own way.

2 mins ago, RiverCommando215 said:

He has the conservation mindset.  We release em all.  I am teaching him about misdirection and how to navigate fishing around googans.  If you pull a 10 lber every guy shows up and thinks it’s the blitz of the century.  I was once a googan.  Now I am just a zombie.  
Big fish changed me for sure.  Had two chances in two years at a large but my gear and lack of experience led me to fail.  Those two fish changed my life.  

Some of the new generation suck. You spend your valuable time showing them a thing or two and then they do not take the advice or they go to someone else and find something they like to hear better or read online and have to tell you about it. For the way fishing is happening now, I think it's best to network with other experienced anglers and then hopefully new folks get experience and have some info to exchange down the road.  You feel people out better this way and quite possibly some further information can be shared. Personally I think that part works better because everybody gets something out of it and respect is earned.  Nothing given away and you weed the white bucket heads out. 

First thing 

Ask them if they have ins tagram.....

If they do...

Don't take em fishing :)

13 mins ago, The Riddler said:Personally I think that part works better because everybody gets something out of it and respect is earned.  Nothing given away and you weed the white bucket heads out. 

This has been our SOP.  I am not taking him to spots, because it’s in my nature to be tight lipped.  Too many guys fishing nowadays, and most of em don’t understand.  I help the youngin out and put him and his dad on schoolies when I can.  The large are left to those who wish to put in the time.  Maybe we will keep diving and doing the light tackle thing. 
I believe any young man off the web and in the water is a good thing.  Just not when he is my competition... haha

then I’m a cut his line. 
RC

thanks for the help boys. 
The funny thing is his info is prime.  He just doesn’t realize it.  There is a win win between us.  

2 mins ago, RiverCommando215 said:

This has been our SOP.  I am not taking him to spots, because it’s in my nature to be tight lipped.  Too many guys fishing nowadays, and most of em don’t understand.  I help the youngin out and put him and his dad on schoolies when I can.  The large are left to those who wish to put in the time.  Maybe we will keep diving and doing the light tackle thing. 
I believe any young man off the web and in the water is a good thing.  Just not when he is my competition... haha

then I’m a cut his line. 
RC

thanks for the help boys. 
The funny thing is his info is prime.  He just doesn’t realize it.  There is a win win between us.  

Agree.  If you can get some continued info out of him?  It works. 

Understood Riddler.  The kid caught his first good fish last summer.  His face was just like Ric Flair!  Whooooooo!!!

Showing spots is like giving away months of recon and logs.  It’s just a poor choice.  Helping a father and son bend a rod on some 2 footers is no issue in my book.  The bond between them is the true value to me.  

Edited by RiverCommando215

I always get a chuckle from all the guys who say 'teach a boy to fish!!' when they would be horrified if he showed up at "their" beach.  Kids need success to get passionate about something. My son, while he likes fishing, isn't passionate about it because his dad wasn't a good enough fishing guide to really put him on fish all the time. He turned to rock climbing, since he never gets to the mountain and finds the rocks aren't there. But he'll fish if he can't climb for some reason so I can claim some success.