Clowsher

Slow Sinking Needlefish Recommendation

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I've read a lot of threads on here about needlefish, resulting in the purchase of two: Gibbs floating and Super Strike 1.75oz sinking. After some experimentation, I have realized neither is "ideal" for my go-to spot. 

Here is my question: There is a spot I fish where the SS needle sinks too much and gets hung up, and the Gibbs doesn't sink at all unless the water is absolutely still (conditions I don't fish). I am trying to find a needlefish that has a sink rate that is in between these two. I have also come to realize that a lot of the favorite needlefish are hard to come by, so the solution here should also be accessible. I have found 247Lures needle available locally at my shop, but really don't know other options. Would this one be the ticket? I am kind of tempted by the one (247 7" needle) with the whip-it-tail rigged on the tail hook.

Any other suggestions of an "in-between sink-rate" needle?

Edit: I use a 9' rod rated to 2oz max.

Edited by Clowsher

41 mins ago, Clowsher said:

I've read a lot of threads on here about needlefish, resulting in the purchase of two: Gibbs floating and Super Strike 1.75oz sinking. After some experimentation, I have realized neither is "ideal" for my go-to spot. 

Here is my question: There is a spot I fish where the SS needle sinks too much and gets hung up, and the Gibbs doesn't sink at all unless the water is absolutely still (conditions I don't fish). I am trying to find a needlefish that has a sink rate that is in between these two. I have also come to realize that a lot of the favorite needlefish are hard to come by, so the solution here should also be accessible. I have found 247Lures needle available locally at my shop, but really don't know other options. Would this one be the ticket? I am kind of tempted by the one (247 7" needle) with the whip-it-tail rigged on the tail hook.

Any other suggestions of an "in-between sink-rate" needle?

How deep is where you’re fishing?

5 mins ago, DZ said:

How deep is where you’re fishing?

Thank you for chiming in, but I am unsure of the intent of your question. I am just looking for a needle that, all things being equal, would sink, but do so at a slower rate than the SS one I have.

Would knowing depth, without knowing current speed (as you requested) really help here? If so, perhaps it's for reasons that are over my head (which, if true, I will gladly admit).

To answer your question, I would estimate that the depth of where I am fishing is around 15' deep at max cast, but then becomes shallower -- ~3' deep at the end of the retrieve (I am fishing a drop-off). 

3 mins ago, RL Bucktails said:

Give surf asylum flat glide a try

Just looked this one up. Appears to be in the category I mentioned trying to avoid -- the "very difficult to find" category.

Anything more commercially available fit the bill?

If The SS 1.75 oz is hanging up in 3 feet maybe just speed up your retrieve a tad when you start touching bottom.  Another option might be an Afterhours needle.  

^^ The Super Strike needle is the most readily available, and easiest to control the depth, of any needle i’ve thrown.  The slow sink will be a good place to start. Think yellow.

Drill and add weight to the Gibbs? Right around each hanger, a few bits of shot, or pieces on nail weight, tape them on and test in a bucket until you get the sink you want.

Edited by ermghoti

Gaggs needles are a great moderate sink needle to have in your arsenal for the shallower boulder fields & you dont need to speed up your retrieve to keep it off the bottom, slow & slower is best right? Why would I want to speed it up when I can just go lighter? I still have several that I use  regularly.... Gaggs is gone but they're now made by 24 7 lures. 

I have some others made by ruru lures that are moderate sink, I dont think he's turning any more though...as mentioned, afterhours is another good one.

24 7 or after hours are good starting points, Theres plenty of really good plug builders out there that know the need for moderate sink needles, you will just need to find these guys  I'm honestly surprised they haven't flooded this thread yet....

I'm not sure where they stack up overall with sink rate all my needles are Afterhours. Don makes great plugs should really consider a line made of plastic so the masses can use them.

Edited by nfnDrum