Capt.Castafly

Tug Boat

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anyone been to Pt. Jude Lighthouse lately? In the news a few days ago, a tug sank there and the barge ran aground.

Three sailors were saved, jumped to the barge, rescued by the Coast Guard.

Any pictures?

Last time I was down that way there was no place to park anywhere near the lighthouse. Rose park and CG station parking was coned off, the closest I could get was at Camp Cronin.

Edited by MakoMike

Street parking is available just before the PJ Lighthouse and near the Rose Nulman Park. The overlook has been barricaded to vehicle’s since spring. Erosion has created a steep and dangerous drop-off to rocks below. I really wonder what the future holds for the Nulman Park.

But where's the tug sunken location? Nothing has been said in the news lately, no up-dates.

Is it in danger of leaking diesel, possible sifting, moving around, breaking up,  with the moon high tides and heavy surf?

Is it a danger to navigation where it's located? Any of the vessel above water?

Water there can be 25 feet or less.

I'll try in get down there, maybe fly the drone if the wind is down.    

15 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

But where's the tug sunken location? Nothing has been said in the news lately, no up-dates.

Is it in danger of leaking diesel, possible sifting, moving around, breaking up,  with the moon high tides and heavy surf?

Is it a danger to navigation where it's located? Any of the vessel above water?

Water there can be 25 feet or less.

I'll try in get down there, maybe fly the drone if the wind is down.    

the only thing I found was an article from CG "Watchstanders have issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast notice to mariners.

The Coast Guard is working with the Warthog's owner to salvage the tug and barge."

There is a similar barge wreck just outside the surf line off the SW corner of Block Island. Some of the superstructure sticks up out of the water at dead low tide.

Up-date. I was down at the lighthouse this morning with a brisk wind gusting at 25mph.

The barge is only about two hundred from shore.

The tide was up, but the barge is firmly aground not even moving when the waves smash against it. 

No visual signs above the water of the tug,  so it must have sunk in deeper water.

Not sure where it went down. There were no new buoy  I could see marking a location. 

It's going to be a huge job removing the barge now that's its cold and lots of rough water.

20201203_103758_01.jpg

20201203_103449.jpg

Edited by Capt.Castafly