NewEngBoy011

Surf Fishing Commuter

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Get something with side bars and cross bars so you can at least put your rods up top and the options are endless...as long as you don't plan on driving on sand.

Edited by C.Robin

2015 VW golf TDI.  Coming in pretty cheap with the rebates from the diesel fiasco a few years back.  50-60 MPG depending on how you drive.  When my truck is out of the question, I put my 9'2" one piece in, fits with about a half inch to spare.  Trunk is surprisingly big and if you make good use of big plastic bins you can protect the car and your gear

2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Get a minivan 

You can pile stuff in those bitches.  And chick's dig em

bachelor party central

surprisingly fast

dont get pulled over

captains chairs

modular back seats

TV screens

check your ego and enjoy the ride

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

2015 VW golf TDI.  Coming in pretty cheap with the rebates from the diesel fiasco a few years back.  50-60 MPG depending on how you drive.  When my truck is out of the question, I put my 9'2" one piece in, fits with about a half inch to spare.  Trunk is surprisingly big and if you make good use of big plastic bins you can protect the car and your gear

Did you buy the tdi before or after the buy back ?

and is that 50 to 60 mpg on one that they did the recall work to ?

55 mins ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

bachelor party central

surprisingly fast

dont get pulled over

captains chairs

modular back seats

TV screens

check your ego and enjoy the ride

I drive a minivan and even have the cargo top on the roof. I slid 4” PVC pipes under the seat to keep my rods in there safe for the ride. I don’t know if it’ll ever get 30 mpg though

I had a 2006 Honda Accord that was awesome.  Plenty of room in the trunk, able to fit a 1-piece 11’ through the “hole” in the rear seat (had to lay the passenger seat flat and put it in on an angle but it worked), and a comfortable and fairly economic car.  I can’t speak to newt models but maybe worth a look.

53 mins ago, riggler said:

Did you buy the tdi before or after the buy back ?

and is that 50 to 60 mpg on one that they did the recall work to ?

I bought a loaner for a VW dealership while they were all locked down by the government - no sales were allowed by dealers for a while there.  The fact that it was a loaner was a workaround that rule.  Paid $12k, and got about $5.5-6k back in the rebate deal.  So about $6-7k for a mint car with 20k miles. 

The 50-60 is after the modification to fix the cheat. I don’t know why the epa gives them lower marks, even when I drive less conservatively it gets a minimum 45 mpg.  Steady highway driving at 65 will net you 50+ mpg easily. 

“A 2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI just set a new record for "lowest fuel consumption—48 U.S. contiguous States for a non-hybrid car" as documented by Guinness World Records. The diesel hatchback averaged 81.18 mpg over the course of 8,233.5 miles, while visiting each of the continental 48 U.S. states. The entire trip was done on 101.43 gallons of fuel at a cost of $294.98, according to VW.” 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

I had to get a Hyundai Elantra for my 80 mile commute to work.  I can fit my  

10-6 Airwave in it, big plastic container for waders, some tackle, Surf bag.  

I've been through a similar dilema and found that a used high mileage Jeep Renegade pretty much fits all your needs and is cooler than alot of the other vehicles mentioned.  Gets low to mid 30's highway mpg, 4x4, roof, rack, rugged interior.  Utilitarian and looks good.

Edited by jcc39
Sp

12 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Get a minivan 

You can pile stuff in those bitches.  And chick's dig em

Lolll....I already have one, that’s a whole nuther story.....

I have a 2006 Prius that gets 51 mpg on cruise and 46 without.  Very happy with that on a 14 year old car.

Right now I have the following inside it with just one side of the back seat down.

8' rod

10' rod

waders

small plug bag and surf belt

10 tube plug bag

backpack clothes and gear

milk crate with every day items

I would prefer something larger as I am over 6' tall but you can't argue with $11 to fill up the tank.