NewEngBoy011

Surf Fishing Commuter

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I may be commuting for work a rather long distances and may force me into downsizing to a lot smaller vehicle. I’ll need something with mid 30 mpgs on highway and a price tag under $10K. I have a couple ideas but figured someone here may of faced this same dilemma before.

Anyone have any suggestions of whips they have been able to make work, and continue to wetsuit, store tackle, store gear and make work for continue fishing rather hard, and not destroy their gear?...Thanks in advance 

When my 4-Runner was out of service, I made due with my 2003 Toyota Camry - back seat folds down, so I could fit 1 pc 8ft rod up the center - tip did not quite reach the dash. mine has 70K miles and still going strong.

An old Carolla or Camry can be had for $2k...my '90 Carolla got 36mpg.

My current Echo gets 40mpg. ($800 many years ago and now at 408k miles) Rear seat folds, and if they are removed altogether, the small trunk is much expanded. 7'6" rod just clears the dash. 

A car under $10k that still gets mpg that good to begin with will be tough regardless of size. As long as back seats fold down any small car should still fit even a 70/30 full size surf rod.

I did it with a civic. Waders, etc in a tub in the trunk and 2 piece rods up to 10’ 6”. I’m not sure a 70/30 split rod would fit though as i’ve moved on.

I've been driving a Honda Fit since 12.  

Seats fold.  Pretty spacious for how small it is.  

I've carried full size couches on the roof. 

All my rods are 2piece plus so that's never an issue. 

This has been the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned.  Tires brakes & oil changes and 1 battery.  It's been in the shop more times for airbag recalls (3x)than anything else mechanical. 

I used to drive 65-100miles a day and put 120k when I left that job in 18.    Now I work 4miles from home so I think I've put 8k on it since. 

My complaints.  

Needs to be a few inches higher.  Minor snow build up and the front end plastic acts like a plow.   

The AC unit sits low & exposed to the road. Either corrosion or debris has put a hole in something.  I don't really use AC so I don't have it fixed. 

Wish it had a roof rack & a hitch for a small trailer. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

My commute is 27 miles each way, 4 days a week. And living beach side is hard on a vehicle. I have an 08' VW Rabbit, it has 135k on it, and gets about 27mpg on average. I can fit a 10' 1pc rod in it if I fold the seats down. A set of weathertech floor mats and yakima roof bars are the only aftermarket parts on it. It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I don't miss the tahoe.

Thanks for all the replies.... will look at the Subaru’s and others a little closer, best value thus far seems to be a 2009-2012 Corolla coming in between $7K-$10K 

My wife's 2014 Subaru Forester gets 30-32 mpg and has lots pep for a 4 cylinder. Know a few folks with the Outback and have taken rides in it, but like the Forester better. If I was car topping a yak, might feel differently. 

Make sure to measure out the dashboard setup.

I can fit a 9'6" one piece in my 2014 civic pretty comfortably (passenger seat down, trunk partition opened). 
But even with the seat laying all the way down my brother's 2016 corolla is a no go because of the taller dashboard setup - rodtip squeaks against the windshield every second of the drive.