Suave

A little bit of Snake Fly, Angus Fly and Beastmaster General

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, NavyFlies said:

Awesome! I love the color scheme

So do I thanks to Bait Tailer who came up with this color scheme.

12 hours ago, NavyFlies said:

Awesome! I love the color scheme

Oups... welcome to SOL where you will find a lot of generosity in sharing knowledge and, for quite a few, expertise. I hope you'll enjoy.

1 hour ago, Suave said:

Oups... welcome to SOL where you will find a lot of generosity in sharing knowledge and, for quite a few, expertise. I hope you'll enjoy.

This i have noticed and it is much appreciated. I had an old account but lost the password and didnt sign up again for a while. Wrong move. I forgot how much i learn on here!

I'm in the process of tying a few striper flies for a friend including the olive/white hybrid pictured in the opening post of this thread and thought it would be fun, and useful, to tie one imitating a tinker mackerel as Atlantic mackerels are present in good number in the Baie-des-Chaleurs where this friend and I fish for stripers.

And I used  Bill Catherwood's Tinker Mackerel as a "model" for this. On a Mustad S71S #2/0 hook, about 5" long.20210413_155104.jpg.21dad1ecb3a998509f0300bb95321558.jpg

The instructions for tying Eric Leiser's original Black Angus streamer are given in his The Book of Fly Patterns, pages 203-5, along with the story of how he developed it.  It's a book every fly tyer needs to have.  Misiura's video shows an adaptation of the original.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Fly-Patterns-Construction-Artificial/dp/1628736739

On 2021-04-14 at 6:42 AM, moucheur2003 said:

The instructions for tying Eric Leiser's original Black Angus streamer are given in his The Book of Fly Patterns, pages 203-5, along with the story of how he developed it.  It's a book every fly tyer needs to have.  Misiura's video shows an adaptation of the original.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Fly-Patterns-Construction-Artificial/dp/1628736739

I have Eric Leiser's "The Complete  Book of Fly Tying" which gives the dressings for a few saltwater fly patterns but unfortunately not for not the Black Angus. And I can't find it on Internet. So, if you do have it, I'd appreciate if you could post it.

11 hours ago, Suave said:

I have Eric Leiser's "The Complete  Book of Fly Tying" which gives the dressings for a few saltwater fly patterns but unfortunately not for not the Black Angus. And I can't find it on Internet. So, if you do have it, I'd appreciate if you could post it.

I am away from home for a few days but will find it when I get back.

1 hour ago, moucheur2003 said:

IMG_20210419_074554506.jpg

Mercirf, it's much appreciated. No doubt Gartside's Beastmaster General has roots in this one. 

And I'm curio us about that "French" moniker of yours,  Moucheur2003.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Suave said:

And I'm curio us about that "French" moniker of yours,  Moucheur2003.

It's just coincidental. I had just returned from a salmon fishing trip in Quebec when I started poking around on social media websites.

Edited by moucheur2003

1 hour ago, moucheur2003 said:

It's just coincidental. I had just returned from a salmon fishing trip in Quebec when I started poking around on social media websites.

I'm a Québécois and was heavily into Atlantic salmon fishing for 25 years, mostly in the Gaspé. So what salmon rivers have you fished up here?