JohnW93

Question about fishing fog/overcast days

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Would you use traditionally nighttime lures and colors for days like this (purple darter for example)? 

And vice versa for nights where the moonlight is very bright — would you throw tins and topwater? 

33 mins ago, JohnW93 said:

Would you use traditionally nighttime lures and colors for days like this (purple darter for example)? 

And vice versa for nights where the moonlight is very bright — would you throw tins and topwater? 

One thing I’ve learned in my years is anything might work at any time if it happens to be the right time. Guys follow the basic rules to the t sometimes they are missing out on opportunities. Thinking out of the box sometimes will get you the bite. Night time lures in the day and day time lures at night.  

34 mins ago, hydraman said:

One thing I’ve learned in my years is anything might work at any time if it happens to be the right time. Guys follow the basic rules to the t sometimes they are missing out on opportunities. Thinking out of the box sometimes will get you the bite. Night time lures in the day and day time lures at night.  

Calm foggy days are my favorite springtime backwater days. Throwing the popper out into the fog, and hearing the slurrrp/slap is one of my favorite moments in striper fishing. 

1 hour ago, Blank Disc said:

It doesn't matter, unless it does matter 

This! Lol

but really yeah worth trying a few variations of colors and depths to see what the fish are looking for at that time

Appreciate all the comments! I’m still stuck in that noobie mindset of surfcasting — bucktails and tins. I added some minnows, darters and poppers to my surf bag, but haven’t the confidence to pull them out yet. 

13 mins ago, JohnW93 said:

Appreciate all the comments! I’m still stuck in that noobie mindset of surfcasting — bucktails and tins. I added some minnows, darters and poppers to my surf bag, but haven’t the confidence to pull them out yet. 

Here’s a bit of advice to get you plugging:

Start with a floating spook or pencil.

They are very versatile and you can pop them, make them walk the dog and burn them in or make them crawl.

Floating lures will stay on top allowing you to see what every little twitch of your rod does to the line and the lure.

Its all about muscle memory.

Many hundreds of casts later, you’ll have a good “feel” for what the lure is doing and how to make it do more of that or make it do something else.

Its all about muscle memory.

Some of my best close in shallow water fishing has been on overcast or foggy days.  The lack of direct sun makes the fish stay closer and feed more.  At least it seems that way to me.

6 hours ago, Blank Disc said:

It doesn't matter, unless it does matter 

5 hours ago, valentine said:

That’s saying a lot; without saying anything at all.

Give it or take, very important factor that sometimes is not.

10 hours ago, JohnW93 said:

it is very rare for me to fish in the day unless it is from dark into light but,i use any plug at all and don't follow the old ways of dark/light.

HH

7 hours ago, JohnW93 said:

Throw em, get to know em. Don’t worry so much about colors and try to focus on your presentation. 

18 hours ago, JohnW93 said:

Learn to use the bucktail well, in all of its variations, and it will treat you well in most--but not all--of the situations you run into.

But plugs can be more fun to use.

To me, fog and heavy overcast just make fish more responsive and willing to stay shallow later in the day.  And as folks have already noted, that can lead to some great action in the back bays and around the sod banks, particularly with smaller pencil poppers and light surface swimmers that carve a quiet wake on what is often a glassy surface.