i_like_poppers

4 Runner TRD

10 posts in this topic

Used an explorer for the past few years on the Long Island SS beaches without issue, but we just decided to trade it in to get a 4Runner TRD. Any reviews on the new one or how well they handle on the beach? The videos I saw online looked like mostly dirt roads they claimed to be sand so wanted to see what others thought. 

Been using an FJ Cruiser on the beach for 7 years now. Not as good as my old Jeep TJ, but still great on the beach, none the less. I can't imagine the 4 Runner being anything less the FJ. If you air down properly, you'll never need the crawl control, low gear or the locking differential on the beach.

2016 4-Runner Trail - KDSS, Locking Rear Diff, Terrain Select and Crawl.  Air Down to 15PSi at IBSP (which gets really chewed up by the 4wd Campers) and select "Mud/Snow/Sand" on the Terrain Select - mostly feels like driving on the road.  I believe you have the same features on your TRD, but depending on the year (2016 or earlier), you may not have KDSS.  One of my favorite features is the true manual transfer case lever - never have to worry about an actuator failing when the dash says 4WD (seen it happen a bunch of times)

20 hours ago, FlatWing said:

2016 4-Runner Trail - KDSS, Locking Rear Diff, Terrain Select and Crawl.  Air Down to 15PSi at IBSP (which gets really chewed up by the 4wd Campers) and select "Mud/Snow/Sand" on the Terrain Select - mostly feels like driving on the road.  I believe you have the same features on your TRD, but depending on the year (2016 or earlier), you may not have KDSS.  One of my favorite features is the true manual transfer case lever - never have to worry about an actuator failing when the dash says 4WD (seen it happen a bunch of times)

That was the main reason i bought the trd off road instead of the sr5, the manual transfer case.

But if i were the buying a 4runner I would just buy a trd off road or trail edition to save money. The pro just have different wheels, roof rack, grill and suspension(bilsteins i think). If you plan on modding the suspension(lifts or anything) it would be a waste to buy the pro.

The 2016 Trail Edition was rebadged as the TRD Off Road sometime around 2018 - It ended up with higher ground clearance (my Trail has 9.6 inches) and a two side bar roof rack, but retained the KDSS.  The 2016 TRD Off Road, which had Bilsteins in lieu of the KDSS was rebadged the TRD Off Road Pro - not sure what else changed.  The 2020 Trail edition is joke - all they did was take the sliding rear deck that is in my 2016 Trail Edition and installed it in the SR5 - oh yeah, you get a color coordinated Cooler......

I do find the sliding rear deck to be an asset, given my bad back - I can slide out the deck, put the load on it (up to 400lbs) and slide the deck in.  I had thrown out my back a few times sliding a load inot the back of my 2004 Sport edition.

I’m not sure if the TRD off road pro has the bilsteins are not but I do have the kdss. Also not sure of the ground clearance is higher or not. The new 2020 TRD pro has a higher ground clearance though.  Other than that I don’t think that much has changed from the 2016 trail edition. Although I do have leather seats and heated seats in the front. Not sure if the trail edition has it or not. 

But the sliding rear deck was an option throughout from what I thought , I have a 2018, and did not decide to opt for the sliding rear deck add on . Does it help that much?  

My 2016 Trail Edition has the leather seats that are heated - great for the lower back after fishing a west wind this time of year.  For me, have an inoperable lower back that is herniated from L1 toL5/S1, the sliding rear deck is a life-saver.  I can lift vertically, but pushing of pulling any appreciable weight is asking for my back to go out. SO I pull out the deck, lift my cargo onto it, and slide it in.  Of course, this means that I only utilize the back half of the deck for any heavy loads, but at this point in life, I never transport more than that anyway, and can always make two trips to the local hardware store (preferred) or the box store, which is only 15 minutes from my house.