t_man7

Casting distance or action?

Rate this topic

Casting distance or action?   29 members have voted

1. 1. Casting distance or action?

• Cast ability is more important
    • Action is more important

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

All depends- some very specific areas don’t require much distance.  Atom made some special order versions of their Juniors “unweighted”.   I remember taking a special trip to Murats tackle in Woonsocket RI just to buy them.  Most builders probably don’t have the luxury of offering different weights but it would be a unique option to say the least.

3 hours ago, numbskull said:

Good luck catching fish you can’t reach.

There is a reason guys loaded redfins. 

This can go either way. A plug that moves like an abandoned marital aid isn't catching a lot of fish irrespective of how far it can be thrown. A plug with hypnotic action that casts like a lawn chair could at least be trolled from a boat, or maybe drifted over fish by a shorebound angler.

If distance was most important, everyone would be throwing tins first. Instead, we spend a lot of time manipulating lures to allow better distance without killing action. 

I submit that profile is more important than action or distance. 

Consider also that Atom made a very heavily weighted junior that sank like a stone and had no action whatsoever at any normal retrieve speed.  Daignault writes (Striper Surf page 177-178) of trying one one cold RI am after an unproductive night and getting # 52 out of nowhere. He considered it a freak and didn’t try it again until 3 years later when he again threw it on a whim and it got him a second 52# fish.

Depth, profile, necessary retrieve speed, castability are all as or more crucial than action.  Bucktails catch a lot of fish and they don’t wiggle very much.

I love metal lips and fish them all the time but if conditions require something else to reach the target zone I’m definitely changing plugs.

1 hour ago, numbskull said:

Consider also that Atom made a very heavily weighted junior that sank like a stone and had no action whatsoever at any normal retrieve speed.  Daignault writes (Striper Surf page 177-178) of trying one one cold RI am after an unproductive night and getting # 52 out of nowhere. He considered it a freak and didn’t try it again until 3 years later when he again threw it on a whim and it got him a second 52# fish.

Depth, profile, necessary retrieve speed, castability are all as or more crucial than action.  Bucktails catch a lot of fish and they don’t wiggle very much.

I love metal lips and fish them all the time but if conditions require something else to reach the target zone I’m definitely changing plugs.

A bass will feel the vibes from the action first, then seek it prey.

1 hour ago, numbskull said:

Prolly went right in front of the bass' nose, lol:howdy: That would be the only way a bass would hit a dead plug

1 hour ago, jimmy z said:

Prolly went right in front of the bass' nose, lol:howdy: That would be the only way a bass would hit a dead plug

You would be surprised by how little some prey species actually move.  More often than not they are just gliding by saving energy.