Fishy4335

Metal Lips with best action and castability?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Your always going to have a trade off, In my opinion I would rather have metal lips with better action than cast ability (Mainly because the fish are at your feet or you can put on a wetsuit).  My favorites are Lordship, GooGooMan, BM, CCW, and Mikes.  Edit: I just posted a poll about cast ability or action.  

Edited by t_man7

Mike Fixter Pikie. What more do you need? Maybe one that gets down a bit and another that wags on top and throw in a smaller Fixter cigar round nose or whatever he calls it. Oh, have to always have my Tattoo. The old ones have a ridiculous swim. Just don't tell Mike.

Edited by weatherguy777

"Best action" is a thing we create, a subjective assessment for what looks good to a human.  With that said ccw bm an hickey imo are some of the best examples of metal lips around for a few reasons.  Bill at ccw, may he rest in peace, built a swimmer with active responsive action that was highly tunable for a more subtle wiggle and a spread of swimmers that will do what ever you want.  He probably has the best finish in the business. Beachmaster carried on the classic style and shapes synonymous of surf fishing's golden years and improved them.  Their proven an durable.  Hickey plugs are harder to get but if you come across one, grab it.  Alot of newer builders have hit their stride in recent years and are doing things with an attention to detail that's hard to appreciate if you dont build your self.  Ryan's plugs draw on old proven style with his own top level paint an finish with actions true to original design.   

Edited by DeepBlue85

Love a Mike fixter pikie and also mikes little peanuts sub surface metal lip swimmer that thing cast like a bullet or winch58 soft tail pikie these seem to cast best for me . Also I was amazed at how much further I could cast these metal lips with the right rod it’s like night and day . If I use otg cast on these metal lips I get even more distance . 

The large Musso surface swimmer design, which uses a mid-sized lip and aerodynamic body shape, is easily the best casting metal lip with which I am familiar.  It fishes great as well.

The Beachmaster Junior is the first great casting metal lip that comes to mind (and that works great too) as well as the Musso Torpedo. The Pichney juniors and Conrads cast pretty well too but are tough to find these days. Other contemporary metal lips that I have used that cast well include CCW jetty swimmers and Big Fish dannies and surfsters. Winch metal lips cast well also. All of the these listed MLs have taken lots of fish for me over the years.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

39 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

The Beachmaster Junior is the first great casting metal lip that comes to mind (and that works great too) as well as the Musso Torpedo. The Pichney juniors and Conrads cast pretty well too but are tough to find these days. Other contemporary metal lips that I have used that cast well include CCW jetty swimmers and Big Fish dannies and surfsters. Winch metal lips cast well also. All of the these listed MLs have taken lots of fish for me over the years.

BM Jr. would be my pick too.   I’ve never cast a Pichney, Atom, or Ccw mentioned here.  I’m most interested in trying the Atom.

The best casting ML I have used would be the atom 40 and still the best 40 imo is the plastic original. I have bought a ton of wood 40’s too. The atom plastic would still be my pick for big water, jetties, open ocean beach. As far as action goes, they never seemed to disappoint me and they are tunable. 

37 mins ago, redfin said:

The best casting ML I have used would be the atom 40 and still the best 40 imo is the plastic original. I have bought a ton of wood 40’s too. The atom plastic would still be my pick for big water, jetties, open ocean beach. As far as action goes, they never seemed to disappoint me and they are tunable. 

What is their length and weight?