Light rod recommendations. ODM 7’6 DNA Back Bay?

Rate this topic

Duck

Looking for a fun light rod, something on the faster side, 7’ to 8’, that really shines casting 1/2oz - 1oz; will mainly be throwing epoxies, bucktails, and rubber. I want it to be my go to rod during summer here in NJ on surf/bay to target weakies, fluke, smacks, and albies/bones when they show up. 

Right now I’m nearly sold on the ODM DNA 7’6 Back Bay (I also own a 9’ ODM Genesis), but wanted some feedback and recommendation from others before pulling the trigger. I appreciate any insights! 

Edited by Duck

Picked up the 7’6” ODM Back Bay earlier this summer for the exact same applications you’re looking for. Matched it with a Stradic C500XG. Absolutely love the set up.

Great for casting epoxies, tsunami split tails, albie Snax, small metals & soft plastics.

Didn’t have the opportunity to fish it from the sand but did have it out on my boat. caught a bunch of albies. 

I also just picked up the ODM 9’ but in the D.N.A. Series.

Edited by Skolmann

I picked the 7’6 up as an albie rod and am really impressed with it after some really good days in mtk this fall. Handled bass up to 28inches too.  You can’t beat it for the money. I like it for throwing half ounce up to an ounce. Has a soft enough tip throw  throw 3/8oz. I have it paired with a Stradic 5000 and 10lb braid. 

1 hour ago, Skolmann said:

Picked up the 7’6” ODM Back Bay earlier this summer for the exact same applications you’re looking for. Matched it with a Stradic C500XG. Absolutely love the set up.

Great for casting epoxies, tsunami split tails, albie Snax, small metals & soft plastics.

Didn’t have the opportunity to fish it from the sand but did have it out on my boat. caught a bunch of albies. 

Yup thinking it’s going to fit the bill and was looking to pair it with a Stradic so good to know they work nicely together.

1 hour ago, Lord Helmet said:

I picked the 7’6 up as an albie rod and am really impressed with it after some really good days in mtk this fall. Handled bass up to 28inches too.  You can’t beat it for the money. I like it for throwing half ounce up to an ounce. Has a soft enough tip throw  throw 3/8oz. I have it paired with a Stradic 5000 and 10lb braid. 

Awesome, thanks for the input man. 

35 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

Have you considered Japanese Suzuki rods? or do you want something good for fishing off a boat.

Many of the ones I’ve seen are in that 9’ - 10’ range which is a slightly too long for my application. Some of the most productive spots I fish out back would be a pain with anything over 8’ which is why I’m looking for something on the shorter side. 

6 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

What he said (Lord Helmut) :agree:

10 hours ago, Duck said:

Looking for a fun light rod, something on the faster side, 7’ to 8’, that really shines casting 1/2oz - 1oz; will mainly be throwing epoxies, bucktails, and rubber. I want it to be my go to rod during summer here in NJ on surf/bay to target weakies, fluke, smacks, and albies/bones when they show up. 

Right now I’m nearly sold on the ODM DNA 7’6 Back Bay (I also own a 9’ ODM Genesis), but wanted some feedback and recommendation from others before pulling the trigger. I appreciate any insights! 

What you're after I have ... the 9' ODM Genesis and the ODM DNA 7615 Back Bay ... for the exact same reasons (reasoning seems to be a lost art these days).

I had a choice between the 82 ODM DNA and the Back Bay. Both are great rods but the Back Bay has a lighter tip and I felt like it would handle lighter lures better (and it does). The 82 DNA will get more distance with 1 to 1.5oz lures. But if I'm after some distance off the beach ... that's what the Genesis is for (1.5 to 2 ounce lures).

My ultimate Albie set up ... is the Back Bay with a black Van Staal VR50. But a Shimano Stradic 5K FL is a close second.

Go Nuts ... Have some fun!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

As an alternative, you may want to take a look at the St. Croix Avid Inshore 7’6” MHF.  Extremely light weight, it comes in at a mere 5.8oz.  The rod butt is shorter than the Back Bay which I find more comfortable when casting.  I have mine paired with a Stradic 5000 and absolutely love the combo.  Bought it as my go to Albie  rod, for which it excels, but it also performed quite admirably jigging for tog this fall as well.  Really can’t beat the St, Croix warranty for peace of mind either.

Edited by Water Dog

Hobie Power Skiff Fisherman

Hobie Revolution 13

For less than 1/2 the price you can get the 1 piece 7’6” Star Stellar lite surf rod.  Best rod for the money I have ever come across.  Great for bucktails, soft plastics and smaller swimmers. This rod paired with a VR50 has caught everything for me over the last couple of seasons-bass, bluefish, fluke, sea bass, blackfish, weakfish and even a couple big cow nosed rays. It’s a gem of a stick. 

16 hours ago, Duck said:

Century 7'6" Demon.  Incredibly light and sensitive. I'm in NJ if you'd like to test cast one

I have the BackBay rod and I love it.   I have used it for light plugging and jigging for fluke off the surf.   I have mine paired with a Daiwa Saltist 3000 and it's feather lite which makes it a blast to use.   It's by far one of the best rod purchases in a long time.  I also love that it's one piece.  I wish ODM made more one piece rods.  

5 hours ago, jesgord said:

For less than 1/2 the price you can get the 1 piece 7’6” Star Stellar lite surf rod.  Best rod for the money I have ever come across.  Great for bucktails, soft plastics and smaller swimmers. This rod paired with a VR50 has caught everything for me over the last couple of seasons-bass, bluefish, fluke, sea bass, blackfish, weakfish and even a couple big cow nosed rays. It’s a gem of a stick. 

Do you have the medium or medium heavy? Big difference in lure weight rating. Been thinking of getting a 7’ 6” for kayak back bay fishing and the Star Stellar is definitely on my short list. Shorter handle on Avid sounds like it might be a better fit for kayak. But more than 2x the cost .... 

CF3B362B-37AE-4F5A-9C16-9F3AA0955E5C.jpeg

DB886931-A290-422E-BB33-AAD8ECF7B7BD.jpeg

Edited by MontclairDave

13 mins ago, jesgord said:

SG761S--Rated 3/8-2oz

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 11.11.50 AM.png

I think that’s the TD SKU and not the Star Stellar model number? And it says action is light, which I don’t think is right? Definitely Medium Heavy on Star’s page, at least for the SG 1220 model, which has same lure range and is same rod as the one you posted above, I think. 

14 hours ago, Skolmann said:

Do you know what the butt length is? Not listed on the ODM website, which is weird. (I have the ODM Next1 9’ custom build, sweet rod.)