derekh

Ordering a lathe

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Was looking at woodcraft or Rockler  neither seemed to have very good ratings. trying to take advantage of this black friday sales. jets got free shipping  going also. Any opinions on better places to order. thanks

If you can swing the 1221 Jet, I hear its a good lathe. 

You can add a bed extension and leg set to it later if to want to turn 40"s at some point. 

Jet 1 HP 12 in. x 21 in. Wood Lathe, Variable Speed, 115-Volt,  JWL-1221VS-719200 - The Home Depot

Amazon.com: Jet JWL-1221VS BE Bed Extension: Home Improvement

If you are just getting started. Try harbour freight. Less expensive and will get you going to start.  Can always upgrade later on once you get more experience turning.   

7 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

If you are just getting started. Try harbour freight. Less expensive and will get you going to start.  Can always upgrade later on once you get more experience turning.   

thanks for the response, i was very close to going that route. But any time i have bought from harbour frieght  it didnt work out well either broken, wrong or cheap.

1 min ago, derekh said:

thanks for the response, i was very close to going that route. But any time i have bought from harbour frieght  it didnt work out well either broken, wrong or cheap.

I still have the one I started with and have turned a ton of plugs with it. 

2 mins ago, derekh said:

I still have mine and have turned a ton of plugs with it.  Can always return it for a brand new one if something happens to it. 

9 mins ago, extreme fisherman said:

My turn crafter has out lasted my jet , both bought at the same time . Can’t go wrong for the money 

started to look into those. didnt find as much info as the jet., and  all brands  seem over priced compared to a few years ago. there was/is a turncrafter  on craiglist i tried to contact. But it went thru to some g-mail account i didnt even know i had and locked up computer for 3 days. i am really challenged when it comes to computers. so no more craig list

I've had good luck with buying from Woodcraft, then again that was pre covid.   I ordered a Laguna 1836 with bed extension last year on Black Friday and had it in 2 weeks.   Saved a good chunk of money so the 2 week wait was well worth it.

Harbor Freight can be hit or miss with their power tools, I use a Rikon, and just saw one on sale on the web for $300 with free ship. A great price for that lathe

Edited by Punch63
spelling