Jim A.

Need help on ~ northeast crab fly large pattern

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Many thanks to all who support the site.    So I would like to purchase a couple large 2/0 hook size crab patterns for the north east.   I see plenty for permit. Redfish etc.    but it’s difficult to tell on line what they really look like ...and. Most shops here do not carry them.    In my younger days.  When I would take a fish I would find more crabs in their stomach than anything else.       Anyone have a suggestion of where to look and what to purchase.  Or.  If you had any luck with them. Many thx. Jim 

My question is, are you looking for a crab of that size to match a specific crab? I tie and fish tons of crabs, but usually prefer a little smaller than that just for casting sake. 

Crabs are something I’ll be tying thirty-fifty for the upcoming season...Since I ended up not getting that reel off ya, I’d mail you a few before the season begins just because. 

Edited by Ftyer

I’ll look around, as the patterns I had/have were for mole crabs. But Bob Popovics had a pattern that used silly legs and some kind of craft fur, highlighted with marker, to imitate surf calico’s.

Frank Daignault used to get his up at the Kittery fly shop in Maine, and swore by them for fishing NE outflows (at night of course). Had many discussions with him on that topic, but he didn’t tie his own patterns. He had posted some photos on his site, but that is long gone now.

If you look at the warm water patterns, keep in mind that the most effective are often impressionistic, rather than realistic, flies. As such, you could just try adapting some of those if you think about what color crabs you see around here (hint) and how you’re going to fish them... ie where would fish ambush those small crabs.

Many thanks. Ktp didn’t have anything much. In the way of crab ...my attempts are ..let’s say ... need improvement..  just easier to purchase some than to keep at it 

1 hour ago, robtf said:

I’ll look around, as the patterns I had/have were for mole crabs. But Bob Popovics had a pattern that used silly legs and some kind of craft fur, highlighted with marker, to imitate surf calico’s.

Frank Daignault used to get his up at the Kittery fly shop in Maine, and swore by them for fishing NE outflows (at night of course). Had many discussions with him on that topic, but he didn’t tie his own patterns. He had posted some photos on his site, but that is long gone now.

If you look at the warm water patterns, keep in mind that the most effective are often impressionistic, rather than realistic, flies. As such, you could just try adapting some of those if you think about what color crabs you see around here (hint) and how you’re going to fish them... ie where would fish ambush those small crabs.

This one may have originated in Maine.  Tie it any size.

51 mins ago, HillTop said:

Speaking of Crab Flies,  anyone ever tie a crab fly using pieces of wool or acrylic yarn like this ?

HT

CrabYarn1.jpg.4f6f6b84eb019e0abc4088eb698b7988.jpg

CrabYarn2.jpg.ef1422eb652dd4f99db4ae61491547b5.jpg

Yes. That is a traditional Merkin. 

To be honest if you are doing toads with EP fibers or the like you can do a good crab. Brushes are good too. 

How big is big?

My favorite (pretty much only) crab fly is Caolo's Diablo crab which shares some common ancestor with the Wooly Bugger as such the practical limit on its size is with the schlappen feather.  To super-size them I palmer the schlappen with an x-tra select marabou to give it a bulkier appearance.