coastalfreak

8’ Surf Rods

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi folks. Hope y’all had a great Turkey Day. 

I recently found an old Ocean City “Topsail” reel in the guts of my house. I said “ah, what the hell” and spooled some 20 Ib Big Game mono on it and test casted 2 oz of lead. This thing is a lot of fun. Right now I have it on a cheap H2O Express bait rod that I really enjoy, but the handle it too short for effective cast. I’d like to buy a surf rod for those eels s well as other reels I may buy (like a small squidder or a large ambasseduer, etc.) 8’ seems like an ideal length. Two piece if possible, preferably throws up to 2 oz comfortably. Just chunking cut bait for redfish, small sharks, drum and the like. Any info is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

........... Two piece if possible, preferably throws up to 2 oz comfortably.

Just chunking cut bait for redfish, small sharks, drum and the like. Any info is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Something doesn't add up here.

You are chunking for small sharks, drums, etc with 2 oz rated rod?

You may need "little" more than 2 oz for this.

I have an 8' Tica UGSA 1/2 - 2 oz that is serving me well in that role.  It not as nice a St Croix but it handles 1/2 oz to just over 2 oz with no problem.  I have it paired with a BG3000 with 15lb braid that has served well for slot reds trout and lots of flounder.  If you want a little more high end use they offer an 8' in 3/4 - 3 oz as well. Both are 2 piece 50/50 split.

13 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I recently found an old Ocean City “Topsail” reel in the guts of my house. I said “ah, what the hell” and spooled some 20 Ib Big Game mono on it and test casted 2 oz of lead. This thing is a lot of fun. Right now I have it on a cheap H2O Express bait rod that I really enjoy, but the handle it too short for effective cast. I’d like to buy a surf rod for those eels s well as other reels I may buy (like a small squidder or a large ambasseduer, etc.) 8’ seems like an ideal length. Two piece if possible, preferably throws up to 2 oz comfortably. Just chunking cut bait for redfish, small sharks, drum and the like. Any info is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

I would actually recommend a 9ft rod over an 8ft rod. Will be easier to find a 2-piece 9ft rod as well.

Look at the Penn Battalions.

You could also go with a 2-piece 9ft musky rod. Tackle Industries makes a good MH 9ft 2-piece.

10 hours ago, Inshore said:

My bad, just checked, most of these are 1pc....

Mojo Cat, 8' 2pc 1/2 - 3oz

I have several of those 8ft 2-piece Mojo Cats.

They are a really good rod. Only down side is the butt length being only 14in.

They will cast 2oz and bait 75yds easy.

I have two of the 8ft XH Mojo Cats too, I would fish for sharks with these things

Edited by Beastly Backlash

13 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Thanks! 

fiblink on ebay,they are nice rods for the money also american spirit rods are nice too.

low cost and greatly built.

HH

I have been totally impressed with the ODN DNA rods for out front. I have the 8’ and 9’ and not even one bad thing to say about either but lots of good things to say. Price, quality, action, all 2pc rods, will stand toe to toe with any rod out there IMO at any price and I own some top of the line rods that are 3-4 times a DNA rods retail cost. They stay home and I am fishing the DNA’s... 

if you Google these rods I noticed a company I know nothing about and never heard of them before a couple days ago selling 3 of the DNA lengths at near $100 under retail while everyone else seems to sell them at retail. Don’t know if I would trust this other company enough to buy from them without researching them far more but I thought I would put that out there. Buyer beware is always in order when buying online from a unknown source....

Edited by Jim DE

I would check yard sales and flea markets for  an old glass rod with wooden handle. They were two piece. I did that several years ago with an old Penn. It was great for clamming for Stripers. 

On 11/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, coastalfreak said:

Thanks! 

Put it on the 10’ penn battalion rod you just bought as discussed in another thread.  It will be a good match for what you are fishing for.  

First thing I would need to know is your budget.  Having said this, the Tsunami  Elite rods are very nice.  Not sure if they come in two piece, but the Star rods are really nice as well.