osprey47

Fishing influencers????

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Is this a new thing or something??? I make lures and I do guide services in my free time when not dealing with my major obligations , and I have had more than a few "fishing influencers" as they call themselves  offering to showcase my lures or services in their youtube videos...AKA give me for free and ill video myself using them to advertise for you....only these people have like, 50 followers on youtube channels.   What the hell is this nonsense??? I am not a youtube person by any means so maybe I am behind the times on this but it sure seems like a new trend to me, more I should say a new scam to get stuff for free.    If john skinner wrote me to try out my stuff, thats one thing, but spanish pete from providence who uses a dick's sporting goods rod/reel combo, come on now!!!

Sounds like they are hunting for free gear....it's normally the other way around - successful "influencers" get inundated with requests to try out gear and are often provided it for free as a means to get free publicity - $100 in free gear could result in a ton of sales....

3 hours ago, NoFlukenName said:

Sounds like they are hunting for free gear....it's normally the other way around - successful "influencers" get inundated with requests to try out gear and are often provided it for free as a means to get free publicity - $100 in free gear could result in a ton of sales....

agreed, its one thing to have someone that actually has followers   but these people have like 50 people following them, most of which I am sure are family, I would rather wipe my ass with a treble hook than give in to that nonsense    why have we relied on people on youtube and social media to tell us what to do or how to do it? There is no real credentials that these people can show to back up their status as a  "influencer" . 

There aren’t many people I pay attention to in the fishing world these days. Pedestrian achievements abound on social media. Dudes bragging about hitting a thousand followers when they’re following 2000, others showing off 10 different pictures of schoolies, etc. It can be a silly place. Lots of great stuff, but lots not so much. 

On 11/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, pemidog said:

i don't have any You Tube followers...if you want, send me some free lures.  i'll fish with them but i won't tell anybody.

ill send you one just the fact you were honest   and didn't try to tell me your something your not!!!  lol!!!

I’ll tell ya I wish i was an influencer even low level one. I’m just not big into social media and posting photos. I see a lot of Instagram guys with low followers who somehow have sponsors from line companies, garmin, okuma and etc. 

Has been going on forever. Many would be shocked at the "big names" that were doing this decades ago. I have had many friends in the tackle making business and the same "famous" guys, you know the type, the ones that catch on bunker and pose with a fly rod with their long dead, cloudy eyed, stiff bodied fish that is dragged around from shop to shop and take pics with different clothes to "suggest" different fish caught on different days. Yup, some pretty well known names trying to glom and grub tackle from small time tackle maker friends of mine. What a joke, has to be way worse now with social media providing instant gratification. People with egos so large they can't stop telling you how great they are. Everyone knows people like that.

Edited by SC

It's really unbelievable to me that some people are so desperate to be recognized, its fishing, ****ing enjoy it! Don't make a job out of it!. 

Nothing bothers me more when these nitwits that take a picture of a small slot fish they caught and put it on facebook. 

7 hours ago, bassing said:

It's really unbelievable to me that some people are so desperate to be recognized, its fishing, ****ing enjoy it! Don't make a job out of it!. 

Nothing bothers me more when these nitwits that take a picture of a small slot fish they caught and put it on facebook. 

agreed, but when you can get garmin sponsor and all of a sudden those $1,000+ mdfs are free of at factory cost or you can get those 50ws for cost or free or even better have them pay your entry fees into tourneys, its well worth it. I don't think its for me, but I definitely see the appeal of it.

I'm fortunate being a professional fly fishing guide just ending my 22 year. I have many a top line manufacture's and material suppliers behind me. I credit those for trusting me in in the beginning during my infancy way back when, who have allowed me to be their field rep. 

It's something I DO NOT TAKE LIGHTLY.  I know I'm in an advisory role and important positon being on the water day after day during the fishing season using their gear and materials. I know what works for me being in New England with over 60 years on the water fishing for species.

My aim is not to get discounted gear to help me out financially run my chartering business or my fishing habit. I get by nicely.  It's rather an advisory roll helping clients chose the correct and best gear and materials possible for their fishing needs and adventures. Sometimes it's an upgrade on rods or reels, sometimes it's an adjustment finding the right line for better casting distance or locating the fish. Sometimes its the right fly pattern and why. Client get to see first hand how and why equipment works in the field, on the water, during actual fishing conditions. As I said before, I don't take it lightly because many of my clients take my advice and buy the gear I recommend to them.

Therefore I pick and chose who sponsors me by the quality of gear and that it works well under the adverse, tuff, and rugged conditions I fish under. It's a like a good marriage that works both ways. They help me provide the best gear possible to my liking, in return that my word really means something behind every time I recommend their gear to clients. My signature is on it. My word better be worth something. Clients know I have many years of experience on the water and don't blow smoke.    

11 hours ago, SC said:

Has been going on forever. Many would be shocked at the "big names" that were doing this decades ago. I have had many friends in the tackle making business and the same "famous" guys, you know the type, the ones that catch on bunker and pose with a fly rod with their long dead, cloudy eyed, stiff bodied fish that is dragged around from shop to shop and take pics with different clothes to "suggest" different fish caught on different days. Yup, some pretty well known names trying to glom and grub tackle from small time tackle maker friends of mine. What a joke, has to be way worse now with social media providing instant gratification. People with egos so large they can't stop telling you how great they are. Everyone knows people like that.

I've seen more facebook heroes that think they are champs of the fishing world for catching a slot bass...its sad

1 hour ago, canalsharpie said:

agreed, but when you can get garmin sponsor and all of a sudden those $1,000+ mdfs are free of at factory cost or you can get those 50ws for cost or free or even better have them pay your entry fees into tourneys, its well worth it. I don't think its for me, but I definitely see the appeal of it.

as a kid i raced dirt bikes   it was the same thing there, bottom tier kids that finished back of the pack had free gear and fancy bikes because they were myspace whores and plugged every company under the sun, meanwhile I roll into the track in a beat up camper van with the wheels falling off and still whoop these kids, it was satisfying,  it just proved to me that the guys can suck in real life but look like winners online. It made me wonder what was more important in the end to make money at it, winning or acting like you won. seems fishing is going this way too