Callmefish

Visser no.5 60+ hours of surf i think igot a problem

Rate this topic

666 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 hours ago, LB said:

So your saying it was installed like the black seal in CallMeFish picture gen 1 reel was your new seal green and installed like the black seal seal lip facing in? not like CallMeFish gen 2 green with lip facing out.

Green seal was installed correctly lip out, the main seals on either side of the body protecting the bearings were installed wrong facing in 2x. I did flip and grease them today. 

 

I can see how CallMeFish has stuck it out though. His faults are alot worse than mine, (I just caught the water intrusion early). For some reason even with its issues I find myself grabbing the Visser alot. In a weird way its enjoyable to fish...maybe it's just me wanting to see if it will fail again or not worrying about babying it at this point, but it also just feels light and tough to steal from Daiwa lol. If the sealing would hold up (aka underwater/clearing sand in the wash) I would honestly be happy with it. 

Edited by jk20a3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Green seal was installed correctly lip out, the main seals on either side of the body protecting the bearings were installed wrong facing in 2x. 

lf l was my reel l would the lip those two on the body protecting bearing, but that's me. Are they also green seals the two on the body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, LB said:

lf l was my reel l would the lip those two on the body protecting bearing, but that's me. Are they also green seals the two on the body?

I actually edited my post just now to elaborate a little more. But yup I flipped them can't hurt, and no these are black like in the previous pictures. Resemble the seal on my Zeebaas drive side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

I actually edited my post just now to elaborate a little more. But yup I flipped them can't hurt, and no these are black like in the previous pictures. Resemble the seal on my Zeebaas drive side. 

Mine are also flipped in the gen 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive talked to a bunch of people that own visser reels and not one has had any issues at all ! So it makes me wonder if Rob K is just ****ing with you !

kidding of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite all these issues there's still a draw for me. Especially in the number 8. Lighter than a Penn torque with more capacity and probably smoother operation too. Supposed to be just as sealed. It would be an amazing beach reel for tarpon, assuming the spool shaft and whole reel can handle 25lbs of drag. That might be the kicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Despite all these issues there's still a draw for me. Especially in the number 8. Lighter than a Penn torque with more capacity and probably smoother operation too. Supposed to be just as sealed. It would be an amazing beach reel for tarpon, assuming the spool shaft and whole reel can handle 25lbs of drag. That might be the kicker.

The gen 2 is about as smooth as a van staal. Gen one was a smooth reel. But it has been completely reworked inside. More bearings better seals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Callmefish said:

The gen 2 is about as smooth as a van staal. Gen one was a smooth reel. But it has been completely reworked inside. More bearings better seals

I don't care about the tightness just fluidity. Every torque I have handled has been geary to a degree but not obtrusively so. If the visser is smooth in the sense of fluid gear mesh and no gear noise, not smooth as in free spinning, which is ONLY called free spinning.. I may be interested in checking one out to replace/supplement my bailess torque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RK advised me to have all seals with lips pointing out. No clue why they weren’t shipped that way. He also advised they do the seal install but I went ahead and did it anyway. The reel is a bit tighter as in harder to turn with the seals flipped. 
He also said even the smaller  Gen2 reels will get the the 3 bolt side plate and that there is no upgrade path from Gen1 to Gen2. 
He did say there is a seal and bearing upgrade available for Gen1 reels. Still waiting on when and how to get it. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beerdoh said:

RK advised me to have all seals with lips pointing out. No clue why they weren’t shipped that way. He also advised they do the seal install but I went ahead and did it anyway. The reel is a bit tighter as in harder to turn with the seals flipped. 
He also said even the smaller  Gen2 reels will get the the 3 bolt side plate and that there is no upgrade path from Gen1 to Gen2. 
He did say there is a seal and bearing upgrade available for Gen1 reels. Still waiting on when and how to get it. 
 

You send it in to get the seals done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Callmefish said:

You send it in to get the seals done

I want to use the reel this season. Turnaround being what it is, If they won’t send me the parts I’ll wait until the season is over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, Callmefish said:

Left side and top is gen 2.

 

BF92B466-F23F-404F-8D07-56672FB7265D.jpeg

1266CEDD-1C03-4B33-A8B6-F525D8B3945C.jpeg

The same orientation as the ZB seals. Not sure how they got those wrong to begin with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ged said:

The same orientation as the ZB seals. Not sure how they got those wrong to begin with. 

Probably the same way they got the interference from  the drag clicker wrong as well. Got to love CAD/CAM happens all the time at my work , looks great on screen, doesn’t function in real life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finally got to fish my visser in the surf, open beach, rough water but not too rough.

 

it took several splashes and taken over by a few waves.

 

hooked a 5 lb blue and a rat striper about the same size as my Superstrike darter I was throwing.

 

with the old spool from the gen 1 visser then gen 2 feels rock solid. Reel felt the same wet as it did dry, my gen 1 visser did not.

 

i only fished it like 5-6 hours yesterday, so far so good. Taking it back out again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.