Callmefish

Visser no.5 60+ hours of surf i think igot a problem

Rate this topic

621 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The reels were supposed to be assembled here, until they weren't. I've had the sad thought that maybe he needs to fire some Americans and import a few trustworthy Chinese.

I heard through the grapevine that a very skilled ct metal fabrication shop was approached to fix the issues.  Not sure if that happened or not, but that could explain the lengthy delay.

5 mins ago, MikeK said:

I heard through the grapevine that a very skilled ct metal fabrication shop was approached to fix the issues.  Not sure if that happened or not, but that could explain the lengthy delay.

I’m not getting the same generation, which was the reason for the delay and then shiping has been al around screw ball…. So I’m actually surprised it only took 7 months.

1 hour ago, FlukeOff said:

He should send you 2 new reels as a thank you for your patience. Hopefully the new one works out.

He actually gave me the option of replacing it right away with the same reel or to wait for the updated version. His estimated delivery date was off by about a month or two. Buy hey my lefty vr201 was projected to be shipped to me march 30th and I still haven’t got that. If that one takes any longer I’ll probably wind up ordering a zee baas too.

1 hour ago, Callmefish said:

I’m not getting the same generation, which was the reason for the delay and then shiping has been al around screw ball…. So I’m actually surprised it only took 7 months.

I did hear about a G2 reel from Visser. I am waiting to see some new pictures. 

If they can finally fix the BS assembly issues (screws cross-threaded) and other little bits here and there I will be very interested. I wish they would use some other metal for the main shaft besides aluminum... For 7 bills titanium at best and steel at the least. 

4 mins ago, hydraman said:

He must of had a plan and covid changed everything. Timing is very important for success and talk about bad timing. 

I doubt that he had plan. That would require some business sense. 

2 hours ago, MikeK said:

The majority of the complaints in this and other Visser threads seem to pertain to mis-assembly, rather than badly made components. RK hasn't been here for awhile, but sooner or later he'll comment.

It might be that he has too much fun playing with the design to spend enough time training the people on the assembly line. Different skill sets are required. In the end, he might need to approach a manufacturer of medical devices, a firm used to fine tolerances in metal and no tolerance for screwed - up assembly, to get a good product.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

The majority of the complaints in this and other Visser threads seem to pertain to mis-assembly, rather than badly made components. RK hasn't been here for awhile, but sooner or later he'll comment.

It might be that he has too much fun playing with the design to spend enough time training the people on the assembly line. Different skill sets are required. In the end, he might need to approach a manufacturer of medical devices, a firm used to fine tolerances in metal and no tolerance for screwed - up assembly, to get a good product.

I’n pretty sure he’s been stuck outside of the country

25 mins ago, Callmefish said:

I’n pretty sure he’s been stuck outside of the country

Where final assembly is currently done. You have been an ideal customer, always looking at the bright side. 

28 mins ago, ged said:

Where final assembly is currently done. You have been an ideal customer, always looking at the bright side. 

I’m just taking it for what it is, he’s been responsive the entire time, sure it’s been seven months . Shipping has been a nightmare for everyone globally, this happened smakdab in the middle of a pandemic, and I’m almost positive he got stuck out of the country.

I honestly don’t think there has been a bright side for basically anyone for a year. It’s just been one long COVID dumpster fire.

I mean I could be an A-hole and make a bunch of impossible demands that can’t be met and make the situation worse then what it is. But I decided to accept reality for what it is and deal with the fact that the world does not revolve around me and my $700 reel. Sometimes all you can do is wait, maybe I could have gotten my money back. I’d still be out a reel, I’d still be waiting for a VR pre order and I still would have bought a salt-x. Ultimately I just wish the visser would have worked out for me out of the box but it didn’t. Thats the only thing that would have changed my actions up to this point, if the visser worked out of the box, I would not have spent $1,200 on other reels (maybe)

The end result that I expect is a functional reel does what is says it is going to do. I never asked for my money back because thats not what I wanted. This time around I’m making sure everything is correct straight outta the box.

The bottom line: I like the reel, I did not like the service done on the reel once it failed. 

Last I saw they will be at ICast, probably anything new will be revealed there. I hope if there are any more major changes they can be upgraded from the original. I had a bad AR out of the box...sent it in, then after maybe a handful of fishing trips bad water intrusion. Sent it in again and asked for the "upgraded parts". Took around 3 months that time, reel did come back clean and with different seals but I definitely didn't see any other changes. I agree they do respond to emails within an hour however (they being Rob or the other guy he always includes in the emails). 

Edited by jk20a3

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

You’re giving him waayyy too much credit….

Perhaps.  I don't know him, spoke with him only once many years ago (swapped permission to use a photo I'd taken for a VS plier) and otherwise only know him from gossip on SOL. I did NOT know that he's stuck outside the US, which would be a hair-pulling complication for anyone trying to set up assembly here.