Visser no.5 60+ hours of surf i think igot a problem

Rate this topic

Callmefish

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

I see some local shops keep pushing them.  I think b/c they have inventory and RK will not take them back as the shops have already paid for them for their inventory already.  SO they are stuck with them I guess and just want to move them and be done with them.  

I mean honestly, aside from here and a few youtube videos there isn’t that much out there on them. I still firmly believe that the reel will be great once all the kinks are worked out too. 

but he seriously needs those kinks worked and quickly. I know of two youtubers that have them. one had problems out of the box with it, the other said they were going to fish it and review it but hasn’t said anything publicly about it since. If the problems persist he can make the thing 100% flawless and solid gold. But if he doesn’t beat any more negative reviews people won’t buy them.

1 min ago, Callmefish said:

I mean honestly, aside from here and a few youtube videos there isn’t that much out there on them. I still firmly believe that the reel will be great once all the kinks are worked out too. 

but he seriously needs those kinks worked and quickly. I know of two youtubers that have them. one had problems out of the box with it, the other said they were going to fish it and review it but hasn’t said anything publicly about it since. If the problems persist he can make the thing 100% flawless and solid gold. But if he doesn’t beat any more negative reviews people won’t buy them.

In life you have five seconds to make a first impression.  He failed

1 hour ago, Mark L said:

Unfortunately those that bought the reels are the testers. 

What a shame.  This is a really bad business practice introduced by someone who could care less evidently.  

he is using the bad experiences of others to test his product.  He probably will make the needed improvement but at the expense of his reputation and brand.  

maybe years down the road no one will remember and Visser will be on par with Van Staal.  I don’t know but I won’t buy one.  That’s for sure.

And yes I know he made the original VS.  

• 1 month later...

I must check and see what Visser's current pricing is.

Many years ago, Ditch Jigger joked that RK was known, in Cape Cod circles, as the Mad Tinkerer, because he was never happy with the design of his reels. He was constantly tweaking his designs.  I wonder if that isn't part of the problem. 

The reels were supposed to be assembled here, until they weren't. I've had the sad thought that maybe he needs to fire some Americans and import a few trustworthy Chinese.

Edited by BrianBM

25 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I must check and see what Visser's current pricing is.

Many years ago, Ditch Jigger joked that RK was known, in Cape Cod circles, as the Mad Tinkerer, because he was never happy with the design of his reels. He was constantly tweaking his designs.  I wonder if that isn't part of the problem. 

The reels were supposed to be assembled here, until they weren't. I've had the sad thought that maybe he needs to fire some Americans and import a few trustworthy Chinese.

I think I paid a little less then $700 before tax.  I think it right inline with VR pricing and i really hope he tinkered out the seal issue

I've been fishing my No. 4 exclusively all spring. Have a couple dozen fish on it, nothing big but a few slots in heavy current. Functionally it has been perfect. Not a single click, squeak, creak or malfunction. The drag is very smooth and consistent. The bail is the best I've ever used. The reel works so well I don't think about it which is my litmus test for anything. It just works. I love my VR50 but it's got a lot of quirks (clicks under load, geary, flexes, wobbles, etc). The Visser is stout, silent and smooth. 

I haven't opened it since I started using it but had it completely apart when I first bought it. Tolerances were extremely tight and parts appear to be of high quality and design well thought out. I'll continue to use it as I would any other reel so it will get dunked and generally abused from shore, surf and paddleboard. Will report back later in the season but so far very happy I bought it.

Edited by beerdoh
update