Callmefish

Visser no.5 60+ hours of surf i think igot a problem

Rate this topic

640 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, Callmefish said:

All of this could have been avoided if he just bought a van staal

I see what you did there 

1 hour ago, Stay Home said:

I just got my No. 7 and think there's a problem. While the bail being open, it touches the handle. Is this reel defective? I'm left handed, so I switched the handle.

PXL_20201223_185550612.jpg

PXL_20201223_185619723.jpg

Woah cool... Does it trip the bail? Some would pay extra for that 

4 hours ago, LB said:

l though this ended, now another problem simple handle change and bail hitting handle these are manual reels but still the handle should clear, more reading material.

Lets see how this ends up.

Was there any thing to be added when you put the handle on the right side of the reel?  

Double thick washer could be a temporary fix.

I uploaded a video. There was nothing to be added for switching in the box. No problem with left side handle.

PXL_20201223_210025344.mp4

Edited by Stay Home
Inserted video file

17 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Do I service my own reels? No.

What's the drag knob nut in my torques made of? I'm gonna guess Awesome.

I sent my primary(Trq5 Bail less) in for service last Jan. after two seasons hard use, it came back perfect. I used it hard this season and it still feels perfect, but I'll send it in for service anyway and I'll probably buy a spare spool for it. Never had an issue with the 7 or the 9, once I got the line lay issues solved on the other T5 I haven't had an issue with that reel either. 

Re: the drag on Penn Torques - Smooth as butter. I believe the TorqueII has the Duradrag which is a step up from the HT-100, which makes them a no-brainer in my book if you're fishing off the rocks, or a boat, but I have no complaints about these reels.

I ask because both the drag knobs on my torques stripped within two weeks of my acquiring them. I didn't over tighten or do anything that wouldn't be expected of a reel like that. They were both made of soft brass, and were shredded by the hardened stainless main shaft. I had other issues too but that was obviously the most debilitating. I wasn't sure if Penn changed their design to fix this or if the issue went unreported. Any level of drag wore down the brass threads so I can't see myself being the only one having this problem. 

4 hours ago, Callmefish said:

All of this could have been avoided if he just bought a van staal

Or a VR next best reel to a VS if your a VS guy.

Edited by LB

47 mins ago, LB said:

l was almost tempted to make a offer on the one on Dbay and pick it up but l said to my self don't do it and l passed on it. 

I made a offer on that he wouldn’t budge. 

47 mins ago, matt boyer said:

I made a offer on that he wouldn’t budge. 

l was going to do 4 and pick up have to crank the handle l don't buy blind on something used or not for that kind of cash.

11 hours ago, Callmefish said:

Do you happen to surf fish those torques in 5-10 foot swells with sandfilled waves slamming into your chest every so often?

You must be 8-13 foot tall to have them slam into your chest, lol.