nedakjohn

Help flush mount ceiling fan Ikea

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Wife wants https:  //www.ikea.com/us/en/p/molnighet-3-blade-ceiling-fan-plastic-white-90424274/

Ikea Molnighet ceiling fan flush mounted.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to accomplish this.

I can mount the black bracket (pic 3) to the ceiling junction box.  

The screws in the bottom bracket line up with the canopy to seat it when I get it hung.

I cannot figure out how to mount the whitel collar coming off the top of the fan (picture 1) to the black bracket.  While the screw holes line up, there is no way for me to attach them together.

I took out the down rod and ball that would seat in the black bracket does not fit over the white collar (picture 5) plus this would give me an exposed area between ceiling and canopy collar.  I thought about cutting the down and drilling new holes but same prob-there will be a gap between ceiling and canopy.

All you smart people, can you help a befuddled DIYer.

Thanks.

PXL_20201126_142443026.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201126_142345888.jpg

PXL_20201126_142455472.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201126_142317320.jpg

PXL_20201126_142327623.jpg

PXL_20201126_142254227.jpg

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

You need to remove the ball socket hanger as well as the drop tube in order to mount it flush. 

I removed them.  I can't figure out how to mount to ceiling if I remove "ball socket hanger"   

Have you removed the blades and brackets? And the shroud? 

Generally the motor gets mounted, then the shroud goes on. Then the brackets and blades.

Can't quite tell what you got to work with from your pictures.

My personal experience with IKEA is I hate their cabinets and furniture. Didn't even know they made fans, but I can only imagine the problems you face. Certainly no help from them I'd guess. 

But, Happy Thanksgiving :) 

1 min ago, Ben Lippen said:

Have you removed the blades and brackets? And the shroud? 

Generally the motor gets mounted, then the shroud goes on. Then the brackets and blades.

Can't quite tell what you got to work with from your pictures.

My personal experience with IKEA is I hate their cabinets and furniture. Didn't even know they made fans, but I can only imagine the problems you face. Certainly no help from them I'd guess. 

But, Happy Thanksgiving :) 

Thanks for the run at it.  I hate ikea too but the wife likes it.

If you eliminate the drop tube, but keep the ball socket mount, you can do it. Might be a PIA to get it wired/need a helper, but it could be done. It just wont be flush. Just a couple inches off the ceiling.

It appears that fan probably can't be flush mounted. Does it say it can?  In my experience when the canopy is attached with screws from the bottom this is the case, there would be no way to get them in. Short rod is your option.

In pic 5, looks like your all set! Is there a cross hole in the ball to pin it to the shorter mount its leaning against? Normally once you route the wires through the shaft and ball to one side of the cross pin it’s time to hang it.

Edited by cheech

50 mins ago, cheech said:

In pic 5, looks like your all set! Is there a cross hole in the ball to pin it to the shorter mount its leaning against? Normally once you route the wires through the shaft and ball to one side of the cross pin it’s time to hang it.

The ball doesn't fit over the shorter mount.  I cant attach the ball to the mount.  

That just stinks! Is there a short 3/4” steel nipple that marries the two pieces? Have you considered nixing the light kit and using the blank.

Closing this out.  I ended up cutting the down rod to about 3in and drilled new holes.  It was easier than expected.  Outcome pretty, pretty pretty good.

PXL_20201201_150611442.jpg