mightyrime

Anyone else barely fish this year?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

2020 a tough one for me fishy wise.   Had a new baby in May.  Cancelled spring tarpon trip, summer trout trip, fall everglades trip.  Fished locally maybe 4 times.  Our newborn is considered Covid high risk for the first year so planes are out for travel.  Long drives with a newborn and a 6 year old are a challenge so going cross country to find flats is not realistic unless we drop a ton of cash on a mini RV sprinter.

Luckily i go surfing 4 days a week which fills the hole in my heart and keeps me salty.

I know its first world problems and i am so lucky that no one in my family got sick.

Anyone else figure out a way to navigate this year with kids?  I dont have the LI sound in my backyard anymore..  And getting away for a full day is tough right now.

I don't recall a year I fished so little as this year.No SW trips.No staying at motels while travelling bcz I didn't travel bcz of the pandemic.And the one thing that killed my fishing buzz worst of all?The phone app ******* where you post a pic of the fish you just caught and it geo-locates  you and your fish so all the subscribers can know where you caught your fish.All the places I once frequented are packed out w/ newbs staggering around like drunken geriatrics on the broken cobble and keeping every respectable fish they catch.

Diagnosed with a serious illness a year ago.Scheduled for surgery early March.Possible exposure to Covid when we ran an introduction to flyfishing clinic on the Cape at the end of Feb..A co-instructor was hospitalized and in the ICU.Found out the day before surgery.Cancelled at the hospital on the day of surgery.Tested negative 3 days later.Total shut down of surgery.Finally, surgery in June.Infection in July hospitalized 4 days.House bound till Sept.Waders finally on mid. Sept and slowly uphill since and recovering.The only good thing was I was able to venture into my shop and tied 100s flies through most of the house bound period for a couple of shops and a bunch of other orders.It kept my sanity.Our friend had a very hard road to Covid recovery but he made it! Trout fishing now at the local ponds for exercise and setting up the shop for a lot of rod building,repairs,and tying flies for next year orders.I'll be hiding out as this winter rolls in. This is a year i'd like to forget about.

Didn't wet a line in NJ until Halloween, a spring trips to Cape Cod and MV and fall trips to Rhody and "M". Although surf fishing is off everywhere, I am disgusted by what NJ Politicians and the Army Corp of Idiots have done to our beaches and it sickens me to go places that were once gold mines that are now like visiting the moon for shoulder exercise.

Never thought it would end up this way, I hope the future is better than the present.  

I fished the salt less this year, but did more local freshwater stuff.  I bought an Orvis clearwater 5wt travel rod and started fishing on my lunch breaks...found some more local-ish (less than 45 min away) spots to fish for smallmouth.  I also rigged up my mountain bike with a rack and a rod holder and started using that to get between fishing spots and get some exercise too.

I had hoped to do a trip to North Carolina, Florida, or Louisiana but decided against it due not wanting to travel.  I did do a couple trips to Montauk (never fished there before this year).  That was a lot of fun and didn't require much travel for me.

I think I fished more this year than any other in my life, certainly since I was in middle school which was many moons ago.

My body is feeling every one of those days now.

I've got out once this year.  I'd been bothered by back and knee issues, and then covid set in.  That canceled our trip to Canada.  The knee's been replaced and that seems to have helped with the back.  The one trip was to Upper Saranac Lake for my great niece's Christening.  I went out with my niece's father-in-law in his boat for two hours and spent the rest of the time sitting in a chair fishing off the dock.  About a dozen sunfish, a small bass and a whitefish is all I caught this year.  I'll be ready to go in the spring. 

Our state I believe was the only one in the country that closed fishing due to Covid.

We were closed for nearly two months during prime spring time fishing.

It drove me crazy so I started going on a bunch of long walks just to get outside and out of the house to get some fresh air.

I’m trying to make up this fall for lost time.

SF

Fished in FL in February and that was pretty much it.  Came back to NY and the covid thing hit Long Island hard early so we redid the back yard and then I just didn't fish.  Started scouting for deer in Sept and have stuck with that.  Actually I think I needed a break from it.  The water is so crowded and pressured.  I haven't fished solitary in a spot in years.  We'll see if the fire rekindles over the winter.  Florida is out in the Spring unless the vaccine is readily available to all.

I barely fished at all, and I live near the beach. I can hear the surf in my bedroom on a big day. Cancelled our annual coho trip to Alaska. Right now I'm on the couch in Phoenix with a case of Covid. My dad (90) got a bad case and I had to rush out here to help. He's hospitalized and I'm fighting this all alone. Be safe out there, friends. This thing is no joke and it's far from being over. 

3 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

I barely fished at all, and I live near the beach. I can hear the surf in my bedroom on a big day. Cancelled our annual coho trip to Alaska. Right now I'm on the couch in Phoenix with a case of Covid. My dad (90) got a bad case and I had to rush out here to help. He's hospitalized and I'm fighting this all alone. Be safe out there, friends. This thing is no joke and it's far from being over. 

I was going to write about my knee and hip replacement in May and how I was limited to a very few late summer and fall trips on a friend's boat. But I want to wish you and your dad the best with your situation. My wife and I will say a prayer for the two of you.