RWP

832 vs maxcuatro vs sw stealth

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I've used 832 and spiderwire stealth with great success, but I am curious about maxcuatro.

I would be using 50lb. I think I need 500 yards to fill a tranx 500, maybe more of the maxcuatro.

Stealth is $45 for 600yds

832 is $56 for 600yds

Mc is $99 for 500yds

What's the best bang for the buck?

18 mins ago, RWP said:

I've used 832 and spiderwire stealth with great success, but I am curious about maxcuatro.

I would be using 50lb. I think I need 500 yards to fill a tranx 500, maybe more of the maxcuatro.

832 is $56 for 600yds

Mc is $99 for 500yds

IMO Stealth is the better bang for the buck but that being said - I use strictly max cuatro and have 0 complaints. 

I haven't used stealth but 832 is a solid dependable braid that is just a bit thicker and heavier than other braids of the same ABS. That said, it handles beautifully and has given me zero functional issues.

Maxcuatro is a 4 strand braid that is stupid thin. Slightly wiry. I got 350 yards of 65# Berkley X9 on a 10K makaira, and almost 500 of 65# maxcuatro. So you get a lot more line. It is weaker for it's rating than other braids. See aquaholiks database for braided lines for details. It is a bit pricier though. It would be my choice for absolute distance/depth in fast water if you're ok with the noise from a 4 strand braid.

3 hours ago, RWP said:

832 is $56 for 600yds

Mc is $99 for 500yds

The 832 is the best bang for the buck as it is more reliable and will last longer then the other brands.

I will throw this out there.

Get Berkley Pro Spec braided line. It has one of the best strength to diameter ratios out there plus the dependability of 832.

Right now you can get a spool of 500yds of 65lb pro spec of 50lb pro spec for around $60 off Amazon, normal retail is $100.

Based off aquaholik's charts the 65lb is simular in diameter to most 50lb braids, but it has an abs over 100lbs.

I have use Stealth Blue Camo and it is ok, I have had a few unexplainable break-offs, but not to the same extent as Power Pro.

I have never tried Max Curato, but as bad as random break offs were for Power Pro original and Super Slick, I would not spool up with any PP line ever again, even if you gave me the line for free. My view is why risk losing the fish of a life time on a brand of line that has failed me over and over. Actually, in one case PP original actually lost me a possible fish of a life time when brand new line fresh out of the package parted like sewing thread at the moment of hook-up.

4 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I will throw this out there.

Based off aquaholik's charts the 65lb is simular in diameter to most 50lb braids, but it has an abs over 100lbs.

Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but according to it

Maxcuatro 65lb is .0153 dia.

and Berkeley Pro Braid is .0180 dia.

where most 50lb braids are coming in around .0153 or larger. 

I've been using the MC but I'm open to trying new things. I need to spool a new Saltiga 14K and I was going to use 65# MC(ABS 75lbs) and try to get 500yds on it. What are my alternatives?

10 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but according to it

Maxcuatro 65lb is .0153 dia.

and Berkeley Pro Braid is .0180 dia.

where most 50lb braids are coming in around .0153 or larger. 

I've been using the MC but I'm open to trying new things. I need to spool a new Saltiga 14K and I was going to use 65# MC(ABS 75lbs) and try to get 500yds on it. What are my alternatives?

Maxcurato is thinner, but look at the difference in strength. 

Berkeley Pro Spec 50lb has a diameter of .0156, yet has nearly the same abs as MC 65lb test.

Pro Spec 50lb is effectively a 65lb braid by MC standards.

Like I said, with PP's history and me, I will never touch that brand ever again.

45 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Berkeley Pro Spec 50lb has a diameter of .0156, yet has nearly the same abs as MC 65lb test.

Like I said, with PP's history and me, I will never touch that brand ever again.

I was looking at it as an alternative to the MC, it's close, do they have a deal on the 50? Post a link. Also thought I'd mention that while I've heard horror stories about PP...and every other line probably, I've never had any problems with it. Never got a bad spool.

Edited by RockRonin

7 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I was looking at it as an alternative to the MC, it's close, do they have a deal on the 50? Post a link. Also thought I'd mention that while I've heard horror stories about PP...and every other line probably, I've never had any problems with it. Never got a bad spool.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M50P1S4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_YqSVFb7HH51YQ

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Cmon,

Thats not an argument for Berkely Pro Braid being better, it's that they perform, empirically at least, similarly.

They both have very similar weight/foot measurements

They have similar dia's (Pro Braid at 0.396mm and Max Cuattro at 0.39mm, MaxC wins....

They both have actual BS of 70lb + (71 for Pro and 75 for MaxC, so higher ABS with lower dia... win goes to MaxC)

How they handle on a reel is what matters. Warm and fuzzies I think is the definition?

And for me at least Pro wins there....

Edited by ZAFisher