Night Moves

Tautog

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, EarningStripes207 said:

I saw one off the side of a jetty, about 10 feet of water tight to the rocks. In terms of catching, never heard of it.

They sleep at night so they're mainly caught during the day. 

Seen some big ones close to shore in NH, it’s funny not many people fish for them, they’re waaaay better table fare, getting green crabs to use for bait is super easy, and they fight great. Win win win

8 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

Seen some big ones close to shore in NH, it’s funny not many people fish for them, they’re waaaay better table fare, getting green crabs to use for bait is super easy, and they fight great. Win win win

Definitely fishing for them next year! 

I've been interested in trying for them as well up where I am.  I am curious do you think they would take other bait like mackerel or pogey strips?  Or are green crabs really way better?

10 mins ago, pogy chaser said:

I've been interested in trying for them as well up where I am.  I am curious do you think they would take other bait like mackerel or pogey strips?  Or are green crabs really way better?

I'm new to these fish. We'll have to do our research. ; ) 

4 hours ago, pogy chaser said:

Green crabs hands down, says the former Lawnguylander

I did not know this! Green crab bait it is! 

The green crab, Carcinas maenas, is an invasive species of crab that has wreaked ecological and economic havoc along the New England coast for decades. As ocean temperatures have increased, the populations of these crabs continue to explode.

13 hours ago, Night Moves said:

I did not know this! Green crab bait it is! 

The green crab, Carcinas maenas, is an invasive species of crab that has wreaked ecological and economic havoc along the New England coast for decades. As ocean temperatures have increased, the populations of these crabs continue to explode.

Green crab, Stone crab, asian crab all are favorite tog candies. Tog also caught on clams, squid, sea worms at times.

1 hour ago, pogy chaser said:

Thanks for the input, lots to think about over the winter :)

Don't sweat it too much, just think about going bare hook or tog jigs.  Since getting a bucket of green crabs is easy peasy, at least in my neck of the woods, I'd go with that. 

It isn't rocket science, BUT finding good spots is.  They are very finicky about where they like to hang out and moving your boat 3 yds can be all the difference between catching and not.  The other benefit for us in the North is that they'll be cunners there, and probably big ones, cousins of togs and they taste very similar, which is great, so you'll be bringing home dinner for sure.