eelbasher

8wt floating line recommendation

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Pretty new to the fly scene and getting a new setup over the winter. Going with an 8wt since I have a 9 already. Mainly going to use it for the bay/river for schoolie sized stripers. In in NJ. I’ll be throwing poppers, deceivers, clousers, etc

The line world has my brain in a knot. So many kinda, brands, etc. After reading and reading I’m just lost. I’ll be fishing from April/May until the fall time mostly. 

Any recommendations on a line? Thanks in advance

What are the water and land conditions in the areas you primarily fish? ie;open beaches,rocky areas,rivers and current,etc.Do you travel to tropical destinations?etc.

AND with the marketing of lines at $100 a pop I feel your pain:banghd:

Edited by theshadow

4 mins ago, theshadow said:

What are the water and land conditions in the areas you primarily fish? ie;open beaches,rocky areas,rivers and current,etc.Do you travel to tropical destinations?etc.

AND with the marketing of lines at $100 a pop I feel your pain:banghd:

Sedge, marshy areas, sand, Mud bottoms. This set up most likely won’t be for the front sand beach but possibly. I have a small boat too that I got this year and I’m going to use it in the back waters of the bay. 

No tropical areas.

Edited by eelbasher

My favorite floater is the Wulff Bermuda Triangle SHORT.

But line weight will depend on the rod you choose.

You may need a #8, #9 or even a #10.

And, don't worry because it's called a Bermuda - it works well in 50 degree water

Herb

Edited by HL

1 min ago, HL said:

My favorite floater is the Wulff Bermuda Triangle SHORT.

But line weight will depend on the rod you choose.

You may need a #8, #9 or even a #10.

Herb

I’ll have to read up on over lining. I wasn’t aware of doing that. I’ve looked at some of the TFO rods and Echo. I think I need to get a few more in my hand and decide. Thank you for the info 

4 hours ago, eelbasher said:

Pretty new to the fly scene and getting a new setup over the winter. Going with an 8wt since I have a 9 already. Mainly going to use it for the bay/river for schoolie sized stripers. In in NJ. I’ll be throwing poppers, deceivers, clousers, etc

The line world has my brain in a knot. So many kinda, brands, etc. After reading and reading I’m just lost. I’ll be fishing from April/May until the fall time mostly. 

Any recommendations on a line? Thanks in advance

What HL / Herb said. Wulff Triangular Taper ... I really like their Bass Floating line ... one size up per most rods.

2 hours ago, eelbasher said:

I’ll have to read up on over lining. I wasn’t aware of doing that. I’ve looked at some of the TFO rods and Echo. I think I need to get a few more in my hand and decide. Thank you for the info 

Eel

Overlining. We could write several books on this.

One huge problem today is that too many rods have been underrated . So you buy an 8 wt rod according to the rating inscribed onto the rod but in reality it’s a 10 wt. So if you want an 8 wt rod you have at the very least to have a rod in your hands to be able to asses it’s power. Failing that asking pointed questions on here about a specific rod.

If a rod is an 8 wt you have choices. You can if you want overline it by one if this suits you and the line you are casting. Lines are often not to AAFTM standards. Some are 1.5 and others 2.0 sizes up to what is marked on the box. So be careful that you know what you are getting in a line.

You can add more weight by putting more fly line into the air if you are casting a longer head line which will typically be around 42 feet long.  Some of the 2 sizes up lines have just a 30 foot long head and you can’t add even it was desirable any more weight by extending beyond 30 feet as you are just into thin running line.
You have choices to make. If you can try two or three different lines on the rod of your choice you will be in a better position to do that.

It is a pity it is like this and it need not have been. But it seems like Line  makers and rod makers got out of sync.

Cheers

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Eel

Overlining. We could write several books on this.

One huge problem today is that too many rods have been underrated . So you buy an 8 wt rod according to the rating inscribed onto the rod but in reality it’s a 10 wt. So if you want an 8 wt rod you have at the very least to have a rod in your hands to be able to asses it’s power. Failing that asking pointed questions on here about a specific rod.

If a rod is an 8 wt you have choices. You can if you want overline it by one if this suits you and the line you are casting. Lines are often not to AAFTM standards. Some are 1.5 and others 2.0 sizes up to what is marked on the box. So be careful that you know what you are getting in a line.

You can add more weight by putting more fly line into the air if you are casting a longer head line which will typically be around 42 feet long.  Some of the 2 sizes up lines have just a 30 foot long head and you can’t add even it was desirable any more weight by extending beyond 30 feet as you are just into thin running line.
You have choices to make. If you can try two or three different lines on the rod of your choice you will be in a better position to do that.

It is a pity it is like this and it need not have been. But it seems like Line  makers and rod makers got out of sync.

Cheers

Mike

Great info! Thank you. Yeah the whole fly world is a learning experience for sure. I’ve been reading a lot and trying to understand a few things first. Thanks again 

Eel

No probs. It does get clearer as you get further into the sport. Bears Den fly shop is a good place to get a balanced outfit. Scott is a very good guy to work with. Of course there are others but this is a place I have had great experiences with. They have an indoor casting court and you can cast various outfits.

Mike

14 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Eel

No probs. It does get clearer as you get further into the sport. Bears Den fly shop is a good place to get a balanced outfit. Scott is a very good guy to work with. Of course there are others but this is a place I have had great experiences with. They have an indoor casting court and you can cast various outfits.

Mike

I’m only up in MA usually 1 or 2 times a year for a trip to the canal, but if I go up I’ll be sure to check it out 

you have a 9 weight, why an 8 weight?  not much difference.   I would go with a 7 weight with an intermediate line, which will do everything you need.  fish up to 15lbs, not a big issue.

15 mins ago, srm413 said:

you have a 9 weight, why an 8 weight?  not much difference.   I would go with a 7 weight with an intermediate line, which will do everything you need.  fish up to 15lbs, not a big issue.

That’s also an option. Like I said, I’m very new to the fly side of fishing. Would that be better suited to schoolie fishing? I’m going to grab a spare spool also and get an intermediate line also so I can fish a little deeper when need be