Sporto10003

Charlie Graves and Snap Swivels

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I saw Ralph from Charlie Graves at an event this summer and asked him about using split rings. He said he wouldn’t do it.  Too much negative effect on action of tin. He recommended using American made snaps. Off hand , I don’t know which ones are made in the USA. He said the Graves molds pre-date TA clips and such and that he couldn’t change them in order to accommodate the clips. 

1 hour ago, Al Ris said:

I saw Ralph from Charlie Graves at an event this summer a

Did you notice the size of his fingers when he point out some things about his (Charlie's) tins and metal?

LOL

I hope to see him again on winter shows.

3 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Can't get any easier than this.  Good ones are reliable.

shopping.png.f180def19f6f6bcab817c91c05239949.png

They’re the best clips to fish big soft plastics like riggged sluggos and unweighted 10” finesse fish, too IMO. 

have been using CG tins for a very long time,always with duolock snap,no swivel.As was mentioned make sure they are rosco ,tried some Tsnuami this year as i ran out of Rosco's,the bend wouldn't go thru most of my jig heads and tins,when i tried to lessen the bend most snapped, a very brittle SS

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Did you notice the size of his fingers when he point out some things about his (Charlie's) tins and metal?

LOL

I hope to see him again on winter shows.

Didn’t notice but I have some big old hands too so I probably wouldn’t have.  LOL. He’s a really nice guy. Hopefully we’ll have winter shows this year

Rosco okay I’m going to order some and give them a try. Thanks UNless.....Rayanj-88 can show us how to get split ring on??  Then I’ll compare action of split ring vs clip. I did try a tactical clip to another tactical and killed the action. 

I couldn't figure out how to put a split ring on a CG either, but if Ralph says not to bother, I won't try. I'll treat that as gospel unless and until I have a reason not to do so.

My own habit, over the years, is to fish both CG tins and bucktails on a loop knot.

As far as Rosco snaps go, I think most reports of failure are user error. It's not hard to mistake an open snap for a well-closed snap when you're fumbling around at night, especially with cold fingers. Umpteen years ago, TimS mentioned using pliers to make the snaps a little harder to close, by bending down the tag end of the snap that goes over the other side; this makes it harder to do it wrong.  @TimS  ??

On 11/25/2020 at 4:04 PM, Sporto10003 said:

Rosco okay I’m going to order some and give them a try. Thanks UNless.....Rayanj-88 can show us how to get split ring on??  Then I’ll compare action of split ring vs clip. I did try a tactical clip to another tactical and killed the action. 

Whoops sorry totally slipped my mind— these are just a few I had in my bag. The 1oz pure tin J-8 (I think) and the larger is a 2oz. Def easier to get the smaller ones on, Wolverine on the smaller and a SPRO on the larger. These have been my absolute favorite bluefish lures this summer from jetties. This specific 1oz has prob had a siwash replaced 3 different times. I had always been told either welded solid ring or a split ring so that’s what I always did. After hearing so many people in support of a rosco snap it def makes me question my methods. But I’ve had a ton of success with these so prob gna stuck to what I’m doing. Good luck everyone!!

71D3EBC6-A29D-4567-99BE-3B62711854FC.jpeg

483EB443-3FA4-479B-9BE0-14AD2B7669B0.jpeg

Also to note— not all split rings work for each size CG. There is def a middle ground between size of the ring and action to keep it fluttering like that keeled tin we all enjoy. 

Another option is an egg snap. I’ve had some mishaps with duo locks, but never with an egg (cross lock)... 

44605BD2-0E0B-41E2-8EF7-09422E09C720.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

3 hours ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Whoops sorry totally slipped my mind— these are just a few I had in my bag. The 1oz pure tin J-8 (I think) and the larger is a 2oz. Def easier to get the smaller ones on, Wolverine on the smaller and a SPRO on the larger. These have been my absolute favorite bluefish lures this summer from jetties. This specific 1oz has prob had a siwash replaced 3 different times. I had always been told either welded solid ring or a split ring so that’s what I always did. After hearing so many people in support of a rosco snap it def makes me question my methods. But I’ve had a ton of success with these so prob gna stuck to what I’m doing. Good luck everyone!!

71D3EBC6-A29D-4567-99BE-3B62711854FC.jpeg

483EB443-3FA4-479B-9BE0-14AD2B7669B0.jpeg

Yep.......I do the same thing.  Actually, after I get that splitting inside the tin, the ring might be slightly stretched open.....so I reverse the actual ring with a pair of pliers and let it sit for awhile.  That ends up tightening the split ring back into place.

:th:

Anyone tried these snaps? Look like a nice wide spot for some good action. 

Top is Gamakatsu tournament.  Comes in 2 sizes. Med (60lb) & large (80lb)  

Bottom is a Owner Hyper wire welded snap. Biggest it comes is size 2 (60lb)

download.jpeg

5121.jpg

On 11/25/2020 at 3:20 AM, Sporto10003 said:

Got a few nice Charlie Graves lures and want to use the but to thick to use tactical clip directly.  Looking at snap swivels, but don't trust them with a heavy fish.  Split rings won't work even the biggest sizes.  Any alternatives?

20201127_114808.jpg