Sporto10003

Charlie Graves and Snap Swivels

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Got a few nice Charlie Graves lures and want to use the but to thick to use tactical clip directly.  Looking at snap swivels, but don't trust them with a heavy fish.  Split rings won't work even the biggest sizes.  Any alternatives?

Split rings. I know you said they don’t work/can’t get on but after some practice I can get a split ring on any Charlie Graves without opening the ring or wrecking the lure. I’ll try and take some pics for you later today but that’s my suggestion screw a snap. 

If pictures help that would be great. Thanks. I got all size spro rings a the Charlie Graves are so thick and have a lip...what’s the trick to get them on?   Yeah no interest in snaps. 

I will say that you should test the same exact tin with and without an added split ring on the front and decide for yourself whether the changed action is a benefit or determent. I am not saying it won't work, I am saying the action will not be the same. I tried this almost 50 years ago and removed the added rings after testing. My personal findings were I'll take the increased chance of a distorted snap over reduced overall catch and confidence I felt were the result of the changed action.  

What I have been doing with tins and  metal lures where their bodies are very thick is attach a twelve inch piece of ninety pound test wire lead material using a crimp and swivel on the opposite end of the leader..  

Rosco duo lock snaps accounted for many big fish over the years before the newer clips became available.  I used to cut off the swivel and tie direct to the snaps. 

Edited by rbart

2 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

What I have been doing with tins and  metal lures where their bodies are very thick is attach a twelve inch piece of ninety pound test wire lead material using a crimp and swivel on the opposite end of the leader..  

That sounds like a good idea.  

Wouldn't even have to be that long.  

OP, what about brazing a solid ring on?

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

That sounds like a good idea.  

Wouldn't even have to be that long.  

OP, what about brazing a solid ring on?

That's exactly what I did, and undid, a long time ago

10 mins ago, SC said:

That's exactly what I did, and undid, a long time ago

The brazed ring or the prerigged wire or both?

Personally I'd just tie it to mono if I didn't want to use a duolock.   But some folks like to quick change, I'm not in a rush.