jpiercy13

Using AVA at night

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Not me.  I think you’d have to slow the retrieve down as much as you can to drag through the bottom.   

I did once use a midnight black t-hex peanut with a teaser through the rips at the Hook and caught a 25#-er on the teaser and as well as a half dozen solid keepers with a hard NW on my back which allowed me reach the school of fish way out.  The other casters were using conventional plastic and rubber baits and didn’t catch a thing.  But it was just one of those lucky moments it worked.  

Edited by GeoffT

Yes and have had luck with it.  Can't remember tail color but never owned black one....def want one though.  I always start with black needles at night but I will cycle through the bag if no action.  I've been in enough situations where ava produced then action stopped at dusk only to start again with a blk needle or swimmer.  That said I try to keep in mind rules must be broken....and rewards can come in doing so.  I'd bet money there was, is, or will betimes when ONLY ava will produce at night. 

Not avas but T hex. Crushed it several yrs ago at night in a NE’r. All fish took the metal. There was artificial light that is no longer there at the time. 

avas painted white with a yellow tube have worked for me in the middle of the night when they were on sandeels and needed a far cast to get over the bar. needles are more effective for me. 

heavier avas painted white have worked for me ok in spots with deep water and fast currents with some decent ambient light like inlets and bridges. 

I think there's something in the dark thats just not quite right to a bass in the presentation of the bent ava tail.  I've used avas as a delivery method for teasers(large black flatwings) at night when I want it on the bottom. I've tried with and without a tail, regardless of color, bare hooked even.  Occasionally I'll feel bass take the hookless ava, but never when there is a tail.  Sometimes it even throws them off the flatwing...

5 mins ago, Kneel said:

I think there's something in the dark thats just not quite right to a bass in the presentation of the bent ava tail.  I've used avas as a delivery method for teasers(large black flatwings) at night when I want it on the bottom. I've tried with and without a tail, regardless of color, bare hooked even.  Occasionally I'll feel bass take the hookless ava, but never when there is a tail.  Sometimes it even throws them off the flatwing...

I'm in agreement here. Something "not quite right" is probably spot on way to put it.  Of course there are exceptions but I'd bet a sand eel acts very differently at night.  Could be the inconsistent "action" (or lack of) of the needle better mimics a sand eels movements at night.  

I have good luck with Pt. Jude Black Pojees in the dark, as in not dawn or dusk Same as their regular chromed Pojee, only black with a black or blurple tail. Seems like an AVA would be worth a try especially when nothing else is doing it and you know sand eels are present.

When sandeels are in and bass are rooting the bottom.  As delivery vehicle for the teaser when distance is needed. I'll get way more hits after switching to a needle or a long slender plastic on leadhead, slow, on the bottom.  Something about visibility, easily reachable meal.

6 mins ago, suntzu said:

Try a 100g colt sniper in sandeel when you need the distance-flashes nicely like a sandeel

my problem with them last week was i was catching squid on every cast 

That's a nice problem to have. I would leave the saltwater carp to catch bait. :drool:

Fish are some of the few animals that see color, but light is required. In total darkness, turbulence, vibration or smell may dictate the bite. Stripers have great noses, they are often compared to catfish and salmon. Presentation is probably more important than color in darkness. As said, anything can work, or not work, at any time.

On 11/25/2020 at 0:29 PM, JoeGBreezy said:

I have good luck with Pt. Jude Black Pojees in the dark, as in not dawn or dusk Same as their regular chromed Pojee, only black with a black or blurple tail. Seems like an AVA would be worth a try especially when nothing else is doing it and you know sand eels are present.

Hey Joe..........How do you fish those Pt. Jude Pojees?  I have several and a 1.5 oz. black one too...never had luck with them though.  Outside of a straight retrieve with an occasional jerk of the rod tip, Ava style, is all i do.............. Any helpful tips?