Stopsign32v

Should I abandon ship/hope on baitcaster?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Well here's the thing... I've always had baitcasters when I was younger and getting back into fishing lately I wanted to "go back to my roots" and get a baitcaster. I got a 13 Fishing Concept C, amazing looking reel. It's light and 8:1 ratio so fast to get the lure in if I want. I put 6lb mono backing on it TIGHT and put 20lb braid on it TIGHT. I sprung for the nicest rod I have yet, and got a St Croix Legend Tournament Inshore. Rod is stupid nice... 

So I go fishing with it for the first time. I don't catch anything but what I did manage to do is backlash it twice. The first time it got so tangled that it was out of service until I got back to camp and cut out the knot. The second time I'm on the beach pulling out knots just to get the backlash gone. So here's my question...Why? Why should I not give up all hope and have nothing but spinning reels? I was thinking of calling St Croix and maybe changing out this Legend for the same thing but in a spinning rod and getting a nice spinning reel in maybe a 3000-5000 series for inlet fishing. I don't know...I feel like I made a mistake trying to go with this. And before you guys say I don't know how to set it up, that isn't true. I started the brakes on setting 5 and the tension to where the lure would fall freely but not backlash when it hit the ground. I backed off to 3 on the brakes and was throwing a 4" Mag Darter far...But really, I feel it was doing nothing a spinning reel couldn't do as good/better. 

I just don't want to make a mistake either way I go. 

Because on spinning reels you will get wind knots and be more frustrated.  Suck it up, take your lumps and fish a baitcaster like a man!!!

lol, I really like baitcasters but you should relearn how to set it up.  Whether it’s with mag or centrifugal adjustment or if it’s thumb control.  Whatever it is, put the time back in and master it!  

Life is more fun with a baitcaster!

Just now, Birdsnester said:

Because on spinning reels you will get wind knots and be more frustrated.  Suck it up, take your lumps and fish a baitcaster like a man!!!

lol, I really like baitcasters but you should relearn how to set it up.  Whether it’s with mag or centrifugal adjustment or if it’s thumb control.  Whatever it is, put the time back in and master it!  

I throw it far with my thumb off and as it starts to slow down I thumb on lightly until it ends. I mean I like it...LOVE how it looks. The knots were just amazingly frustrating. I think maybe I was just trying to throw it too hard/bad release angle? 

It's a tough call. I like throwing bait casters and feel I can work certain lures better with them and wouldn't want to give them up for those applications. That being said, I rarely throw them in the salt anymore. I find bait casters a pain in the ass to maintain when I use them in the salt. 

I think, with a little more time your backlash issue will be greatly reduced.

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

Are you new in baitcasting? if yes, then keep practicing.  It's a skill. Like riding a bike.  

Fished baitcasters for...8 years, then my dad (who I went fishing with all the time) died suddenly and I gave up all things that reminded me of him. Wife and I had our first child, my son, and now he wants to fish so I wanted to get myself another baitcaster. So I've fished 8 years with a baitcaster, then took 10 years off, and now I'm back. 

11 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

Fished baitcasters for...8 years, then my dad (who I went fishing with all the time) died suddenly and I gave up all things that reminded me of him. Wife and I had our first child, my son, and now he wants to fish so I wanted to get myself another baitcaster. So I've fished 8 years with a baitcaster, then took 10 years off, and now I'm back. 

Surf? Boat? 

You just need your groove back. Forget about what instruction is on the box. Keep at it till you find what works for you. 

2 mins ago, hobobob said:

Surf? Boat? 

You just need your groove back. Forget about what instruction is on the box. Keep at it till you find what works for you. 

Off the shore. 

45 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

Well here's the thing... I've always had baitcasters when I was younger and getting back into fishing lately I wanted to "go back to my roots" and get a baitcaster. I got a 13 Fishing Concept C, amazing looking reel. It's light and 8:1 ratio so fast to get the lure in if I want. I put 6lb mono backing on it TIGHT and put 20lb braid on it TIGHT. I sprung for the nicest rod I have yet, and got a St Croix Legend Tournament Inshore. Rod is stupid nice... 

So I go fishing with it for the first time. I don't catch anything but what I did manage to do is backlash it twice. The first time it got so tangled that it was out of service until I got back to camp and cut out the knot. The second time I'm on the beach pulling out knots just to get the backlash gone. So here's my question...Why? Why should I not give up all hope and have nothing but spinning reels? I was thinking of calling St Croix and maybe changing out this Legend for the same thing but in a spinning rod and getting a nice spinning reel in maybe a 3000-5000 series for inlet fishing. I don't know...I feel like I made a mistake trying to go with this. And before you guys say I don't know how to set it up, that isn't true. I started the brakes on setting 5 and the tension to where the lure would fall freely but not backlash when it hit the ground. I backed off to 3 on the brakes and was throwing a 4" Mag Darter far...But really, I feel it was doing nothing a spinning reel couldn't do as good/better. 

I just don't want to make a mistake either way I go. 

I think I told you not to keep the Concept 13. There are baitcasters with much better casting brake systems, among other feature, then the concept 13. 

That said, when you use baitcasters backlashes are a fact of life just as line twist is with spinners.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

38 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

:agree:

1 min ago, Stopsign32v said:

Off the shore. 

Forget about using baitcasting off the beach.  You were having trouble because you were trying to reach the moon.  Go with spinning.  Return the inshore rod, get a surf rod instead. 

Put on some 20lb Berkeley Big Game. And start enjoying. Remember you’re not casting a spinning rod. 

Edited by XBMX

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

Forget about using baitcasting off the beach.  You were having trouble because you were trying to reach the moon.  Go with spinning.  Return the inshore rod, get a surf rod instead. 

Looking back I think that was the problem too. 

Just now, XBMX said:

Put on some 20lb Berkeley Big Game. And start enjoying 

Since I only fish a hand full of times a year, I'm really worried about line memory if I go with anything but braid. Opinions?