Seakarp

Another bait maker to watch

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I've watched a few vids from Zimmtex. He has a small, fairly new channel, but me makes some nice baits and is more technical than say Marling.

Watching him work his way though some of these builds always leaves me with some new way to go about doing one thing or another. He needs

to edit them down a bit and learn to be a bit more entertaining, but if you like watching builds you'll probably like it. I just watch him speeded up a little.

What do you guys think about him?

Very interesting. Shows what can be done with minimal tool by taking your time, paying attention, and figuring out how do deal with problems you hadn’t thought of. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, moocks said:

I just looked at one of his videos. Just don't use his method of drilling eyes..... at 10:33

In his video  "Carving Fishing Lures on a Drill Press"

Looks like he is still learning and is taking you on his journey. That said, he can draw, measure and figure out how to do something with a wide variety of skills, that can be quite informative to watch.

I watch a bunch of them from time to time. Solar builds incredibly pretty stuff, and some unusual lures on occasion. The Eng Angler explains a lot of stuff and does tests, which I like. Marling does those one day builds, which I imagine is intriguing to new builders (and to me, I like how he 'wings' it or tries whatever comes to mind). In my fantasy world, I could spend all day on a lure without going to work, mowing the lawn, or repairing an appliance. I'll check out Zimmtex at some point.

Who's the British guy who talks calm, always uses brass rod cut to length for weights, and always cuts his lures in half (cross section) to route out (with a dremmle) wire and weight holes? I like his fresh water lures. He pretty good at making the most out of limited space and few power tools.

22 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

I watch a bunch of them from time to time. Solar builds incredibly pretty stuff, and some unusual lures on occasion. The Eng Angler explains a lot of stuff and does tests, which I like. Marling does those one day builds, which I imagine is intriguing to new builders (and to me, I like how he 'wings' it or tries whatever comes to mind). In my fantasy world, I could spend all day on a lure without going to work, mowing the lawn, or repairing an appliance. I'll check out Zimmtex at some point.

Who's the British guy who talks calm, always uses brass rod cut to length for weights, and always cuts his lures in half (cross section) to route out (with a dremmle) wire and weight holes? I like his fresh water lures. He pretty good at making the most out of limited space and few power tools.

The Handmade Fisherman?

Engineered Angler has a great video on the old screw eye vs. throughwire debate. He provides objective data which is nice since the discussions on this site have historically been speculative.

14 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

Engineered Angler has a great video on the old screw eye vs. throughwire debate. He provides objective data which is nice since the discussions on this site have historically been speculative.

He is good to watch and knows his chit. His explanations are very good and he's pretty likeable. He often tends

to over complicate even simple things though. He's trying hard to build his channel and likes to go in that direction, but I think

he would be better served by doing a lot more videos that explain some concept, but also show you an easy way to make a particular bait, by say following a pattern he could provide or something like that. You know, a this is how this works and here's an easy way to replicate this bait. I think the majority of his audience would find that compelling and be more drawn in.

He's an engineer, its how he works, his approaches are from an engineer's perspective. I personally like his presentations but my background is in science and my father is an architect so I am used to it I guess. U are probably correct in that he would have broader appeal if he simplified some things but as far as I am concerned he's the most informative out there. He tests alot of different products and methods and he gives reliable information. And I agree, he is likeable. Take a look at the threadfin glidebait he made. Its very lifelike and he goes through all the research he did to produce it. Unfortunately it ultimately is chopped in half by a gator.

Last night I fell into a YouTube hole, and watched the 3 video the EA guy has on screw eyes and haywire twists, and 2 Marlin Baits videos, and 2 Solar videos.

I just wanted to know the pull strength of a haywire twist embedded in 5 minute epoxy, and an hour later I was scheming about carving lures out of cottonwood bark...thanks YouTube

I watched a recent Engineered Angler video and it was about making weedless trebles. Definitely giving that a try this winter. I've got a couple snakehead lure ideas and making the trebles weedless was an issue.