RWP

Tranx 400 vs 500

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Long story short, 2020 blows.

I have a tranx 401hg and 500pg. Neither have been used and the end of the year is getting a little tight. (No this is not a for sale post).

I've always reeled lefty, but was going to switch to right, so that's not a huge concern.

I've owned other 300s and 400s and they have always treated me well.

I fish for striper and drum mostly, with the occasional musky trip, though hopefully I will be making it south for some bigger fish, possibly moving to Florida next year.

Would you stick with the 401 or move to the 500? Obviously the 500 is a better reel and I have a nice rod that it could go on, but it's looking like I'm only keeping one.

The 500 is a big reel.

And really the only one of it's kind in it's class.

Both very capable.

The decision of which you want to keep should be based on lb test and capacity needs.

I use my 500 for heavy chunking in snaggy bottoms...The speed clears sticky bottoms and has paid for itelf in saving lead and rigs.

The smaller ones are great all around reels.  Just like pretty much ever large low pro..

Thanks!

Is your 500 the PG or HG? The PG sounded like a good option while I had a second rod set up with the 400HG.

With only 1 reel, the HG probably would have been a better option.

3 hours ago, RWP said:

Thanks!

Is your 500 the PG or HG? The PG sounded like a good option while I had a second rod set up with the 400HG.

With only 1 reel, the HG probably would have been a better option.

Mine's the HG

19 hours ago, RWP said:

Long story short, 2020 blows.

I have a tranx 401hg and 500pg. Neither have been used and the end of the year is getting a little tight. (No this is not a for sale post).

I've always reeled lefty, but was going to switch to right, so that's not a huge concern.

I've owned other 300s and 400s and they have always treated me well.

I fish for striper and drum mostly, with the occasional musky trip, though hopefully I will be making it south for some bigger fish, possibly moving to Florida next year.

Would you stick with the 401 or move to the 500? Obviously the 500 is a better reel and I have a nice rod that it could go on, but it's looking like I'm only keeping one.

The 500 is only a better reel first and formost if you need the extra line capacity.

The 400 with the long power handle cranks as hard as you will need for musky and will still hold more line then you will ever need for anything short of a pelagic.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Mine's the HG

Hey Scooby, on your 500, do you have the star nut and the spring like in the picture? In mine there is no nut and no spring.. A different design. My 400 has both,

The schematic does not match the actual reel.

How is yours?

70AF2564-BA4F-4611-A094-700FF17FA3F2.png

Edited by levari

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The 500 is only a better reel first and formost if you need the extra line capacity.

The 400 with the long power handle cranks as hard as you will need for musky and will still hold more line then you will ever need for anything short of a pelagic.

I agree on the musky. I was thinking more for tarpon and such in Florida.

11 hours ago, RWP said:

I agree on the musky. I was thinking more for tarpon and such in Florida.

I see.

Never landed a Tarpon, but I think I would rather have a 500 for that myself.

Just about everything else in Florida can be handled with a 300 or 400 sized lp. My Komodo 473's are my go to when we travel down there.

21 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I see.

Never landed a Tarpon, but I think I would rather have a 500 for that myself.

Just about everything else in Florida can be handled with a 300 or 400 sized lp. My Komodo 473's are my go to when we travel down there.

Thanks. I think I'll keep the 500.

16 hours ago, levari said:

Hey Scooby, on your 500, do you have the star nut and the spring like in the picture? In mine there is no nut and no spring.. A different design. My 400 has both,

The schematic does not match the actual reel.

How is yours?

70AF2564-BA4F-4611-A094-700FF17FA3F2.png

Please post a photo of your Tranx 500' set up, Im am intrigued

2 hours ago, levari said:

I am all packed for my move to FL next week.

Good move!

But, I would never ever pack all my gear.

The essential gear goes in hand ready for use at a moments notice.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

9 hours ago, RWP said:

Thanks. I think I'll keep the 500.

Might as well just keep them both.

Nothing beats the shear versatility of a 400 sized low pro. That is a back pocket type reel, in other words you always want it with you because you can always put it to use.

Just now, Beastly Backlash said:

Might as well just keep them both.

Nothing beats the shear versatility of a 400 sized low pro. That is a back pocket type reel, in other words you always want it with you because you can always put it to use.

I'm sure down the road I'll get another one, right now I'm going to liquidate some stuff.