PSegnatelli

Soft plastic sand eel lures.

Rate this topic

110 posts in this topic

I'm looking at soft plastic sand eel lures.  Something to use with a jighead.  

Bill Hurley, Al Gags, Gulp, sluggo  etc. 

Any preference in tail style? Paddle vs rat tail?

Colors.  I tend to stick with the 3 basics. White, chartruese & pink.

When would you use pink? I know it works but when & why?  I probably should take notes but I don't, and tend to throw colors on what I "feel" vibes with that moment. 

Right now I'm leanin towards Bill Hurley for a few simple reasons.  Sorta local & he does his videos in his dining room. Thats a guy I can dig.  

I put a post up last year on only using Gulp,   I'll still use it but I feel it's an error to pigeonhole myself for "ethical" reasons. When a big name Corp vs a little guy comes up.  I will almost always go to the little guy. 

Also as you may or may not know my fishing partner is my 12yr old daughter. She always wants to throw what Dad is throwing. 

Any difference in tail style for someone with less experience?  The BH vids with the rat tail eel had a really nice action in his tank.  My girl may not get the twitches down. Probably just cast and retrieve. 

I'm thinking paddle tail but would love other opinions.  

I have a bunch of Storm Swim Shads too. I don't mind using what she would use.  Anything to boost her confidence

Edited by PSegnatelli

My partner (till she discovered guys)was also my Daughter. Best tip she learned was the stop an go retrieve. Works with any lure on every fish. 

Honestly the tsunami sand eels are pretty decent if you want a full package deal. No surprise that they cast like a limp noodle should, but they catch.

If you really want to use a jig head go with a zoom fluke or the equivalent zman streakz style jerk bait, on the lightest jig head you can cast. I like to let them settle and give it a quick jerk then reel the slack and wait for a strike before it touches down to the bottom and I give it another rip. Very effective for lots of fish species.

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

She's got that!  Hopefully we can get out and score some holdovers. 

I ordered a bunch of bill hurley stuff.   See how it goes. 

I caught a lot of fish on bill Hurley sand eels last fall.  This year not so much.  Only one so far.  Maybe I’m not throwing them enough or the fish aren’t around.  

Get a couple of molds. Some Pyrex measuring cups and an old microwave from thrift shop and start making your own with her. 

She can add color, glitter and scents. Easy to do and fun on rainy days or winter when you can't fish.

I remember fishing when if someone mentioned soft plastics for the salt they were referring to the Mann jellyworm usually fished as a BT trailer or just on a jighead for weakfish. There was really nothing else! Lol. 
Not sure what happened next but somewhere in the very early 90’s slugos hit the market in 1000 colors and I probably caught fish on 999 of them. Talk about a stocked plug bag! Didn’t know which one to toss first! With a good kit of different weight jigheads I think after all these years the grub tail still holds the top spot. I really don’t care what around as far as bait. I can’t remember a time stripers passed up a grub on a jighead. Specifically the long slender 6” mister twister. I never liked the grubs with fat bodies and short tails. The 6” MT is the profile that seems best to me for an all around lures and can be shortened by biting off a small amount of the body if need be. Its really more worm like in profile. I still think white is right. They do come in chartreuse as well if that is a confidence color for you. They did make a muted speckled “rootbeer ish”color some time ago. Not sure of the exact name but a dead ringer for a sandworm in clear water. I put sometime in with that and did well with it but better than white? Honestly not that I can remember. 

16 mins ago, reelfire said:

Get a couple of molds. Some Pyrex measuring cups and an old microwave from thrift shop and start making your own with her. 

She can add color, glitter and scents. Easy to do and fun on rainy days or winter when you can't fish.

That's a great idea and a bit safer than casting lead sinkers. 

4 mins ago, redfin said:

I remember fishing when if someone mentioned soft plastics for the salt they were referring to the Mann jellyworm usually fished as a BT trailer or just on a jighead for weakfish. There was really nothing else! Lol. 
Not sure what happened next but somewhere in the very early 90’s slugos hit the market in 1000 colors and I probably caught fish on 999 of them. Talk about a stocked plug bag! Didn’t know which one to toss first! With a good kit of different weight jigheads I think after all these years the grub tail still holds the top spot. I really don’t care what around as far as bait. I can’t remember a time stripers passed up a grub on a jighead. Specifically the long slender 6” mister twister. I never liked the grubs with fat bodies and short tails. The 6” MT is the profile that seems best to me for an all around lures and can be shortened by biting off a small amount of the body if need be. Its really more worm like in profile. I still think white is right. They do come in chartreuse as well if that is a confidence color for you. They did make a muted speckled “rootbeer ish”color some time ago. Not sure of the exact name but a dead ringer for a sandworm in clear water. I put sometime in with that and did well with it but better than white? Honestly not that I can remember. 

I use the 6in Gulp grub alot. I like em more than the swimming mullet.  I can't seem to find the MT grubs at all.   I'm stuck with online til the virus is straightened out a bit.  

If we do get nice days to fish this winter it'll be a local river that usually holds schoolies all year.   

8 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Honestly the tsunami sand eels are pretty decent if you want a full package deal. No surprise that they cast like a limp noodle should, but they catch.

If you really want to use a jig head go with a zoom fluke or the equivalent zman streakz style jerk bait, on the lightest jig head you can cast. I like to let them settle and give it a quick jerk then reel the slack and wait for a strike before it touches down to the bottom and I give it another rip. Very effective for lots of fish species.

I have some Zoom flukes to try.  I'll check out the Tsunami ones too

If ya want a smaller profile, the ZMan TroutTrick in Redbone has been good to me the past few years... I cut them down about 1/2” to “square off” the front, then run em on a 1/2oz or 3/4oz jig head.

Lights Out!

986E8C68-6C85-4B50-808B-59C4511BC812.jpeg