gray gables

Junk pt

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

This thread is going to be about how crappy today’s pt is. I rebuilt my MILs deck about 11years ago, 16x24. Total rebuild, tore out the old one and rebuilt a new one. It faces direct south, sun from 8-6 during the summer, brutal. Had to go up this year and replace about 5 pieces of decking. Stuff was totally rotted, no shrinkage at all in between the decking. Is the new normal for pt? I mean she wants all new decking installed this coming spring. 

It lasted much longer when it was full of arsenic and whatever else.  It wasn't great, but I walk on decks to this day that I built thirty years ago and are in good shape. Could use an upgrade yeah, but not for wear so much. 

Check out Gilbeys new post about his eleven year old stairs.

Orientation matters, yeah, but....

11 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

It lasted much longer when it was full of arsenic and whatever else.  It wasn't great, but I walk on decks to this day that I built thirty years ago and are in good shape. Could use an upgrade yeah, but not for wear so much. 

Check out Gilbeys new post about his eleven year old stairs.

Orientation matters, yeah, but....

What threw me is that it didn’t shrink at all. With the amount of sun it gets it should have shrunk a little but it didn’t. 

Eleven years is about when they were changing the cocktail for the preservative after they took out the arsenic from the equation. I remember seeing one of those concoctions that totally rotted away the aluminum hangers....!  I think it took three seasons for them to get to the cocktail we have today for pressure treated.

Yep, I just stripped a 10 year old deck, and while the PT joists were fine, all the stringers were substantially rotted and need to be replaced. 

Yeah. Stringers are cut exposing a lot of open grain area, exactly where it is most likely to get water contact... You can put felt paper or flashing tape down first before installing treads and risers...

2 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Yeah. Stringers are cut exposing a lot of open grain area, exactly where it is most likely to get water contact... You can put felt paper or flashing tape down first before installing treads and risers...

Great idea adding the flashing tape to the exposed grain on the stringers. Problem is it adds more cost to the job which in turn most people won’t want to pay for it unless you explain it to them. 

The old cocktail was the best. 
my deck is 30 years old and still in great shape 

I used 50 lbs of Hot dip galvanized nails ( the ones that had the ridges ) and last year  they still look as good as the day I banged them in. 
Electro plated stink. The first time you hit it , the plate comes off.