Large SP & Mag-Darter: Any good?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Was going to be a Hand-carve Redfin with a metal lip, but turned into a mag darter because the plug cracked.  At least it was a clean crack and in the right spot. :) I make my own large versions of the originals.  That way I can make them just how I want them.

36E4AD91-20CB-4B81-A0B5-3CBCE1D532D7.jpeg

Edited by t_man7

Why aren’t you fishing?

10 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Was going to be a Hand-carve Redfin with a metal lip, but turned into a mag darter because the plug cracked.  At least it was a clean crack and in the right spot. :) I make my own large versions of the originals.  That way I can make them just how I want them.

36E4AD91-20CB-4B81-A0B5-3CBCE1D532D7.jpeg

Have you tested this creation yet??? I'm rooting for it. This just seems like a sign from above. keep us posted.

Lead shot up under the nose could do the trick.

I fish the smaller mag darter 80% of the time. I have heard it from a lot of guys that they do not prefer the larger mag darters. Depends on the bait around though, I know early spring with bunker, the larger mag darters kill. I mainly throw the smaller SPs unless I know bigger baits are around or a mixed school of blues. Had my biggest fish of the year on the larger SP floating, early spring. 

10 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Have you tested this creation yet??? I'm rooting for it. This just seems like a sign from above. keep us posted.

Lead shot up under the nose could do the trick.

Haven’t tested yet, I generally weight them slightly ahead of center.  I’m thinking this might be a good needlefish design as well (weighted different of course).  

D3487E44-886D-4C74-9742-76111EC07CA4.jpeg

Why aren’t you fishing?

Love the smallest SP and MD. Fits exactly how I fish. The larger plugs don’t cast them same. Or like you’d think. Ya need some tail weight to punch thru the wind but in my experience they tumble just a bit 

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 7:31 AM, Gully said:

Love the smallest SP and MD. Fits exactly how I fish. The larger plugs don’t cast them same. Or like you’d think. Ya need some tail weight to punch thru the wind but in my experience they tumble just a bit 

The larger models sling well with 10’6” & 11’ rods :th:

Used last fall for the first time.  It casts long so it comes out if I need the distance.  Caught a few short bass on it to date but not one of my go to plugs....not currently anyway. 

Salt air provides the levity needed for survival.