tand331

Quest about guides for building a GSB1081L with VS150, 20lb Suffix 832

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hello my dear SOL friends, 

I'm trying to build a light 9' rod for light swimmers and small tins (1/2oz to 1.5oz spoons). The rod will be matched with a VS150 and 20lb suffix 832 (nothing heavier than 20lb for sure).

I have the blank in hand and I'm trying to figure out a good guide layout. I have done some researches here in the forum and I figured that I will use the Fuji KW series, and following the NGC layout. I have NOT purchased the guides yet, but I'd ask here if they are going to work out for my purpose: 30 Stripper, then 25, 20, 12, and 6 or 7mm running guides, tip with a 6/7mm. Or a 30 stripper, 25, 20, 16, 10, and then 6/7 running guides?

I have seen that others have started with a 25 stripper, but I feel it is too small for a VS150 reel. 

Also, will the 6mm running guides too small for this rod? I use FG knots to tie a 6 to 10 ft 20lb flouro leader, so that the knot will go through the running guides for sure. Will 8mm running guides be more sufficient in terms of casting distance? 

Please help me with some advices and I greatly appreciate them!

1. KW 30 25 20 12 to 7/8 running guides will work perfectly

2. Drop the 16, not required.

3. #25 will work great if you thow a bit of cash at it and use a high frame RV25, dia is not the issue, height is.

4. Why run 20' of 20lb flouro FG or not? its the difference in stretch that causes more headaches than the knot

5. 8's wont cast further.

6. Consider a KR layout (all single foot or 1 or 2 double foot to singles) they will not wimp out on you

2 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Consider a KR layout (all single foot or 1 or 2 double foot to singles) they will not wimp out on you

This!

I rebuilt the same blank last winter. Replaced someone's clunky KW 30, 25, 16 12 and kw10 runners with KLH 25, 12, 8m, 7l and kt7 runners, and it's an entirely different beast - much lighter faster recovery and feels more crisp for such a moderate whippy blank.  

1 hour ago, Bait Tailer said:

This!

I rebuilt the same blank last winter. Replaced someone's clunky KW 30, 25, 16 12 and kw10 runners with KLH 25, 12, 8m, 7l and kt7 runners, and it's an entirely different beast - much lighter faster recovery and feels more crisp for such a moderate whippy blank.  

This or rv. 

- kw25 wont work well, as stated

- a standard ngc with kw will work as described above by ZA

also as stated a lighter setup (single foot) will go a long way on the particular blank, i have built many of them.

- you could simply use the kw single foot guides in a ngc layout or a hybrid using the 30 double foot the 20, 12, 8's in single foot if you are worried about about smacking around the stipper guide.

- a KR setup using the KL-H is also a great option for that setup. you can keep the rod super light and responsive. it may look a little odd if you havent done it before but it is a very good setup for the blank. 

If you havent been on anglers resource site to get some info, do so. Great info there

9 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

6. Consider a KR layout (all single foot or 1 or 2 double foot to singles) they will not wimp out on you

ZA, can you recomend the guide specs for this please. I am looking to rebuild my old loomis 9' one piece 1-3 and will be using 20 lb braid. Thinking 8 runners off of the choke. Thanks. 

Thank you all for the great advices! I have studied a little bit more about the KR concept and referenced the angler's resource. I used the KR GPS and generated the following: 5fbc7ea2ce330_KRGPS-1.png.e6e338b501ed19bef0dee28a31b66ff1.png

I think the suggested sizes are probably not suited for a surf rod, so I want to beef them up a scale. So I looked at the RV guides, and I saw this:

5fbc867720e4d_RVGPS-1.png.487128a01bc6bd2aaef6c2c7f7afb883.pngPlease let me know if this layout will work: start with a RV25H as the stripper, then a RV16H followed by a KW10M? or a KT10? The running guides of I'll use KL7L (According the KR GPS, I should have at least 30" of running guides, which will match the action of this GSB rod).  I'll try to space them as referenced in the picture and see how it casts before I wrap the guides. 

Please let me your advices, thank you very much!!!

BTW, I tie a 10 feet lead with a FG knot is because of the structures I fish. Here in the central Alabama, i fish stripers primarily by the river dams. when water turbines are running, I have maybe 3 to 6 feet of water over the rocky beds, and many more bigger rocks remain out of water. Stripers of various sizes will come across those areas to prey on shads. Like their cousins in the saltwater, once these stripers got hooked, they will quickly dive between the rocks and cut the braid in seconds. I have lost a whole bunch of lures before I realized that I need to increase the leader length.

A 10' mono or flouro leader will significantly reduce the chance of having my lines get cut by the rocks. Although the increased leader length reduces the casting distance, it still worth the trouble when fighting a fish, especially in heavy currents. 

the single foot on that rod will be fine in the surf. i have done that. but the RV setup is killer do the rv25,16 and kw10m. they only come in ti torzite of sic so they are a little expensive but I have built 9' to 11' rods with thme and they are very good

6 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

the single foot on that rod will be fine in the surf. i have done that. but the RV setup is killer do the rv25,16 and kw10m. they only come in ti torzite of sic so they are a little expensive but I have built 9' to 11' rods with thme and they are very good

Thank you! I'll start putting in my orders. I was planning to use the Ti torzite initially, so I'm kinda prepared for the cost. Hopefully this rod will worth my input!

just take your time tape the guides on and test cast it unitl you are happy. that is one my favorite blanks, and the Fuji guides and layout info is second to none i am sure you will be happy with the rod.

2 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

ZA, can you recomend the guide specs for this please. I am looking to rebuild my old loomis 9' one piece 1-3 and will be using 20 lb braid. Thinking 8 runners off of the choke. Thanks. 

Surffishermike's post #10: RV25 RV16 KW10M KT8 to KT7's (or continue with KW's)

or

RV25 RV16 KL12 KT8 KT7

or

RV25 KL12H KL7M KT7

or

KL25H KL12H KL7M KT7

59 mins ago, tand331 said:

BTW, I tie a 10 feet lead with a FG knot is because of the structures I fish

I get what you mean.

For fun try this out:

FG about 12' of 50lb braid to your braid main line and then a short length of mono/flouro

50lb braid is about as thick as your 20lb flouro at 0.42mm/0.0.165", but MUCH nicer to cast

Video shows 10lb main to 30lb leader

8 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Surffishermike's post #10: RV25 RV16 KW10M KT8 to KT7's (or continue with KW's)

or

RV25 RV16 KL12 KT8 KT7

or

RV25 KL12H KL7M KT7

or

KL25H KL12H KL7M KT7

Thank you. :howdy: