FishFinder.

Shimano Stella sw 6000 or Van Staal x vs150

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

43 mins ago, FishFinder. said:

It seem like everyone needs to have a van staal and a stella in their reel collection. You got the van staal first or Stella?

Saltiga first, then the Stella, and finally a Van Staal.

I didn't want to have to worry about my equipment at all and just fish. The VS allows me to do that. It doesn't have a bail to bend or break, if I drop it in the water it's not a big deal at all, if a wave comes in while I'm reeling away it can go under without any worry, if I need to use my rod as a support, if I need to go for a swim to get to the spot I want to fish, etc.

It's the right tool for the job.

Does the rate of retrieve matter for what you will be throwing? Vsx 150 has a retrieve of 30 in per crank whereas the stella is 41. If you have any areas where you have heavy structure and current the vsx 150 can be work. Now if you're in the surf most of the time I would consider there are more things to fail with a bail on a stella and the finish won't last as long as a staal. It is hard to beat the feel of a stella or tiga unless you have used a reel dennysnook has used for his profession. Lol. The last thing I'll mention comparing the two is resale value if you don't like either reel. They will both sell for around $600 +/- used so the money lost testing the options varies greatly. If money isn't an option then buy both, you will find a use for them. 

3 hours ago, Nick88 said:

Does the rate of retrieve matter for what you will be throwing? Vsx 150 has a retrieve of 30 in per crank whereas the stella is 41. If you have any areas where you have heavy structure and current the vsx 150 can be work. Now if you're in the surf most of the time I would consider there are more things to fail with a bail on a stella and the finish won't last as long as a staal. It is hard to beat the feel of a stella or tiga unless you have used a reel dennysnook has used for his profession. Lol. The last thing I'll mention comparing the two is resale value if you don't like either reel. They will both sell for around $600 +/- used so the money lost testing the options varies greatly. If money isn't an option then buy both, you will find a use for them. 

No, the rate of retrieve doesn’t matter.  With vs150 how often do you have to send it in for service? If you don’t dunk it and careful with it every 2 year? My friend is getting his sometime this week hopefully I can test it out this weekend. Never try bailess before

lf l had two pick one reel out of the two your thinking about buying it would be VS150 if you plan to have it for a long time VS is the way to go, l bought my first VS100 23 years ago and like a Timex watch, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

l service my reels myself so in that time one line roller some line roller bearing a couple of seal kits and l upgraded the traverse arm.

l now have a second VS reel VS150 it's on its 5th year and still great and this one is Shimano smooth.

l have Shimano reels there over 10 years old parts are not available for them anymore.

19 hours ago, TheReelLuke said:

a saltiga bay jigger may be the reel you're looking for

ur using saltiga BJ spinner? what size is that? how was it? i think many overlooked this particular model due to it limited sizes...

4 hours ago, Tourstage said:

ur using saltiga BJ spinner? what size is that? how was it? i think many overlooked this particular model due to it limited sizes...

I don't personally have one, but its sealed like a saltiga just in the 3500 and 4000 size (shimano 5 and 6k sizes) I ran into a buddy of mine about a month ago who had one and he loves it

6 hours ago, TheReelLuke said:

I don't personally have one, but its sealed like a saltiga just in the 3500 and 4000 size (shimano 5 and 6k sizes) I ran into a buddy of mine about a month ago who had one and he loves it

Yeah - basically the two sizes are the same reel with two spool sizes (I believe they are interchangeable, although don't quote me on that). I have the 4000 size Diawa Bay JIgger and like it a lot. I also have the other two reels discussed in this thread. The VSX 150 was the only one I felt compelled enough to go back and buy a second...but I think that had more to do with wanting a silver one than it was to fill a need (lol)...But that's not said with any intent to discredit the other two reels. I would trust the VSX over the other two only if 1) you're going to do all the stuff van staals were built for (dunking, swimming with, etc) or 2, you're clumsy/sloppy with your gear. I'm the latter and treat my Stella and Saltiga like fine dinner wear during the holidays, where I break them out for a spin several times a year for special occasions (usually for bonito/false albacore)...The Saltiga is a new addition for me this past season, but the stella was purchased back when that generation came out in 2013....My VSX 150's are probably closer to what I'd classify as in my 'usual rotation of use'...but at the end of the day, I have a pair of Stradic (FK) 5000 spinners, a pair Sustain (prior 'FG' version) spinners and a 'Gosa 6000...and these get the bulk of the work load for me...

18 hours ago, albacized said:

Yeah - basically the two sizes are the same reel with two spool sizes (I believe they are interchangeable, although don't quote me on that). I have the 4000 size Diawa Bay JIgger and like it a lot. I also have the other two reels discussed in this thread. The VSX 150 was the only one I felt compelled enough to go back and buy a second...but I think that had more to do with wanting a silver one than it was to fill a need (lol)...But that's not said with any intent to discredit the other two reels. I would trust the VSX over the other two only if 1) you're going to do all the stuff van staals were built for (dunking, swimming with, etc) or 2, you're clumsy/sloppy with your gear. I'm the latter and treat my Stella and Saltiga like fine dinner wear during the holidays, where I break them out for a spin several times a year for special occasions (usually for bonito/false albacore)...The Saltiga is a new addition for me this past season, but the stella was purchased back when that generation came out in 2013....My VSX 150's are probably closer to what I'd classify as in my 'usual rotation of use'...but at the end of the day, I have a pair of Stradic (FK) 5000 spinners, a pair Sustain (prior 'FG' version) spinners and a 'Gosa 6000...and these get the bulk of the work load for me...

good to hear! ive had the pre LT Certate 4000's that ive heard were essentially a BJ with a aluminum main gear (I think the BJ has bronze) and though I loved the reels they did not remain as buttery smooth as I expected which I think was due to the 6.2 gear ratio with the softer gear. I let my friend borrow one for a light tarpon session in an inlet which was loaded with fish under 50  pounds, and not sure what happened but the main gear was destroyed after that one session and had 4 different spots where the reel grinded like a tooth was completely broken. 

I got a stella as a gift this year. Was kind of pissed at the 8000 size and the stella as I'd liked saltigas a lot. I put a lot of time into this reel and can say it isn't too big and it is freaking amazing. I've beat the living daylights out of it and it feels like day one minus a lot of scratches.

1 hour ago, FishFinder. said:

Stella 8000 is about the same size as my saltiga 14000. I wanted the Stella 6000 but couldn’t find one and saw this saltiga bj for $100 off and bought it

sweet congrats on the saltiga I used to have the 4000 in the 2015 model it was a beast.

6 mins ago, Reed422 said:

sweet congrats on the saltiga I used to have the 4000 in the 2015 model it was a beast.

Thanks can’t wait to try it. What century rod is that? Thinking about getting 8’ the weapon

I had both at the same time. Found that I only had the VS in the truck as a backup and never used it. Comparing the two is really apples and oranges. 17lb drag vs 29. Huge difference in retrieve as well depending on the model Stella you get.