FishFinder.

Shimano Stella sw 6000 or Van Staal x vs150

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Hi All

I've been looking to purchase a Stella sw 6000 but have no luck in finding one. A buddy of mine suggested vs150 that’s what he’s planning to buy because it’s fully sealed and look cool. Should I wait for the Stella 6000? I’m in no rush. 

6 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have both. I don't know how to answer this. 

Will you be submerging the reel?

I like both reels a lot, stella the silver and gold older one

No but maybe a lil splash here and there. I mostly do surf fishing on the beach so it’s more ideal to get a sealed reel. I’ve been using the stradic for a year now and every time after fishing I rinse it off and alway find some sands on it but it’s still working fine. Would it be a problem with the Stella? Do you use your Stella surf fishing on the beach or only grab your van staal when you know you’re getting water and sand on it

1 min ago, FishFinder. said:

No but maybe a lil splash here and there. I mostly do surf fishing on the beach so it’s more ideal to get a sealed reel. I’ve been using the stradic for a year now and every time after fishing I rinse it off and alway find some sands on it but it’s still working fine. Would it be a problem with the Stella? Do you use your Stella surf fishing on the beach or only grab your van staal when you know you’re getting water and sand on it

I use both on the beach,never an issue 

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I use both on the beach,never an issue 

You think I should wait for the Stella or just get the vs150 now and start fishing with it? And won’t be disappointed that I didn’t get the Stella? LoL

1 min ago, FishFinder. said:

You think I should wait for the Stella or just get the vs150 now and start fishing with it? And won’t be disappointed that I didn’t get the Stella? LoL

I will not make your decision bud

List your pro and cons 

12 mins ago, FishFinder. said:

Thanks. I’ll wait and test it when my friend get his next week

I can recommend the Stella for that use, and getting it serviced i. cheap and fast unlike staal servicing. like bridge fisher said its up to you though

44 mins ago, Tourstage said:

u will end up buying both, trust me.. it always happen to me when im comparing 2 reel.

You’re right. I think it’s an addiction keep buying new fishing gear when the ones you already have is just fine. lol 

If you are used to Shimano type feel and performance, you will be disappointed going with a 150. Each has it's pros and cons, but if not fishing in very wet conditions, I personally want nothing to do with fully submersible reels if a buttery smooth option fits the bill. 

29 mins ago, dennysnook said:

If you are used to Shimano type feel and performance, you will be disappointed going with a 150. Each has it's pros and cons, but if not fishing in very wet conditions, I personally want nothing to do with fully submersible reels if a buttery smooth option fits the bill. 

I have a 2020 daiwa saltiga 14000 that I use for my 10’6 legend which is awesome but too heavy for my 9’ if they have a lighter saltiga I would’ve gotten that. going to test my friend vs150 next week when he gets it. I know vs is not smooth gotta try it out and see

2 hours ago, FishFinder. said:

I have a 2020 daiwa saltiga 14000 that I use for my 10’6 legend which is awesome but too heavy for my 9’ if they have a lighter saltiga I would’ve gotten that. going to test my friend vs150 next week when he gets it. I know vs is not smooth gotta try it out and see

a saltiga bay jigger may be the reel you're looking for

Size wise, a Stella 6000 and a VSX 150 are sort of worlds apart.

Even a Stella 4000 is larger than a VSX 150. I have both and love both, but I'd prefer the Van Staal in pretty much any situation where getting wet and sandy could be on the table.

I'm primarily a surf/wading fisherman so that's always a possibility in my world.

I will say the VSX 150 is very light and it's much smoother than I expected based on the reviews. It's not Stella or Saltiga smooth, but not nearly as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be.

2 hours ago, Dave the fisherman said:

Size wise, a Stella 6000 and a VSX 150 are sort of worlds apart.

Even a Stella 4000 is larger than a VSX 150. I have both and love both, but I'd prefer the Van Staal in pretty much any situation where getting wet and sandy could be on the table.

I'm primarily a surf/wading fisherman so that's always a possibility in my world.

I will say the VSX 150 is very light and it's much smoother than I expected based on the reviews. It's not Stella or Saltiga smooth, but not nearly as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be.

It seem like everyone needs to have a van staal and a stella in their reel collection. You got the van staal first or Stella?