Shag

Alden ocean shell for fishing

5 posts in this topic

I just picked up an Alden 16 Ocean Shell. It’s vintage 1973, after getting her cleaned up, I’m thinking of some mods for fishing. Anyone use a shell for fishing? In my younger days I probably could have a daisy chain skipping; but now it it will probably be the slow dance of a bomber or SP. Figure it will be nice watching the rod and grabbing it on the catch( sweeps that is). Anyone see one fishing, or have any experience?

With all the local rowing clubs I see them and other shells early mornings in western LIS coves, marinas, and in a rowing lagoon. Never seen anyone fishing out of one, but probably a great, fast rowing vessel. The limited capacity, poor lateral stability, and it’s design for straight line speed could be tough with a nice fish, or in any non flat conditions. The sliding seat and loooong oars won’t help either. A fixed seat, a rod holder. a long kayak paddle, and possibly some flotation could ‘possibly’ tame that speedster for fishing. Great luck with that lightweight classic!

I think Cheech is right on a most points, but looking at it, I wonder if you could lower the seat and oarlock frame? The seat of a sit-inside kayak is just a couple of inches from the hull. Lowering would add a tremendous amount of stability to the boat, enabling you to confidently let go the sweeps and tend to a large hard fighting fish. The lost performance would never be missed, we don't troll that fast!

fAlden_Ocean_Shell_Single_Scull__750_Fay

Edited by gellfex

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

I think Cheech is right on a most points, but looking at it, I wonder if you could lower the seat and oarlock frame? The seat of a sit-inside kayak is just a couple of inches from the hull. Lowering would add a tremendous amount of stability to the boat, enabling you to confidently let go the sweeps and tend to a large hard fighting fish. The lost performance would never be missed, we don't troll that fast!

fAlden_Ocean_Shell_Single_Scull__750_Fay

That’s definitely a newer model than my 73’. It has the drop in sliding seat and attached outriggers. My seat slides on a glassed in set I of stainless tracks on the floor. Outriggers go through pockets in the deck and are pinned to again glassed in brackets. First mod I’m doing is a bailer amidships, there is no drain otherwise. I’ll have to get some pictures before I really get started. Anyone have a good cleaner for bronze. My dad used to use Coca Cola, not sure if the carbonic acid is still as high as it  used to be. 

I rowed in HS and also for a private club. The shells that I rowed were sweep and I did a little with sculls. In any shell boat it is all about balance and the oars are your balancing tools either standing still or going forward. I remember the advertising for the Alden back in the early 70's in the Oarsman publication we would get for being a member of the National Amateur Oarsman Assn. Keep in the center of the shell ,keep your hands on the oars at a certain level and start to get a feeling for the swing of the boat from the catch to the finish and don't catch a Crab.