CLFish5

4x4 Noob

65 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone!

I really want a used 4x4 to take on the beach - specifically South Shore Long Island.

Never owned one or driven on the beach before.

Any advice for a new guy like me?

I could spend up to 15k.  

What kind of truck should I be looking at? Mileage? Make?

Any other equipment I should be looking at or general advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Find an older Grand Cherokee with solid-transfer case. I loved it for everything from snow to sand and everything in between. 

I lifted my grand cherokee two inches by using heavier springs and shocks.

I was able to put 33" tires on with the extra clearance.

Good ground clearance is a must when you are driving soft sand beaches

c-town.jpg

I see numerous Jeep cherokees on the beaches and they don't necessarily need a lift.*

Edited by TimS
Please keep the buying/selling in the BST Forum - thanks.

On 11/23/2020 at 3:36 PM, Geo67 said:

I see numerous Jeep cherokees on the beaches and they don't necessarily need a lift. *

I'm only speaking from my personal experience driving RI beaches.  

The sand is soft and the ruts can get pretty deep. 

Edited by TimS
quote edited

On 11/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, gill said:

I'm only speaking from my personal experience driving RI beaches.  

The sand is soft and the ruts can get pretty deep. 

:agree:There are places notorious with soft sand and places that get deep rutts, Island Beach State Park, Breezy Point , even Gilgo has some really soft sand areas,so having a truck that has some good ground clearance will boost your confidence in the beginning.

I have a Stock Jeep that I didn't lift but some jeeps out of the box will have better than normal clearance( I have a Sahara which comes stocks with the largest wheels outside of a rubicon and the really high end Jeep models). I previously had a Ford Explorer and plowed sand at Breezy often. Explorers are Great trucks too but my point is some have better clearance and that will help with you beach driving depending where on the South Shore you are.

And of course always air down, if you do it correctly its very unlikely you will get stuck. Try and stay in the tracks as well Good Luck 

Edited by fishinthedark

On 11/23/2020 at 5:52 AM, CLFish5 said:

What do you mean by lift ?

Suspension lift, to clear bigger tires and give more ground clearance.A good lift is springs and shocks VS the cheap way of using blocks and spacers,they don't give the articulation of a good spring/shock lift.

I’m looking into a 4 runner boys. Found a decent one to the eye. 2006 with 130k miles for $7k. 

First used car purchase. Going to see it today. I’m assuming check it out myself, test drive, and then get it checked out by a mechanic if I like it?

36 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

I’m looking into a 4 runner boys. Found a decent one to the eye. 2006 with 130k miles for $7k. 

First used car purchase. Going to see it today. I’m assuming check it out myself, test drive, and then get it checked out by a mechanic if I like it?

Absolutely 

Get a car fax on it as well