senor_denito

Hybrid half n halfs

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Just sharing some hybrid half n halfs I tied up.  I like the translucency of the synthetic material as opposed to the hackle that is most commonly used.  Feel that these can imitate sandeels and spearing (atlantic silversides).

IMG_4307.JPG

They look great.  The only problem I've had using synthetics on a Clouser like that is that they tend to foul, especially with aggressive casting.  Stick a small plastic comb in your bag for that.  

On 11/21/2020 at 4:42 PM, senor_denito said:

Just sharing some hybrid half n halfs I tied up.  I like the translucency of the synthetic material as opposed to the hackle that is most commonly used.  Feel that these can imitate sandeels and spearing (atlantic silversides).

IMG_4307.JPG

The Half & Half = a Lefty's Deceiver + Clouser Minnow ... we all know this. What is easy to forget is that those patterns were very original & innovative within the world of fly tying at the time. So a Half & Half would have feathers built into the Clouser design. 

I like the "hybrid" design ... and I like / agree that the translucent material is a great choice. Your batch of flies ... would / will work very well on my Spring time Stripers. Nice work.

They look good.  I tie a similar half and half/clouser, whatever you want to call it with craft fur and polar flash in place of the hackle (usually pink and white craft fur).

Fish seem to love them and the craft fur is super durable.  I like clousers with the flash blend too.  They tend to foul a bit more, but the durability is nice when it gets eaten by a bluefish.

Thanks for the feedback!  I definitely have to invest in one of those small combs as it'll help me untangle the synthetic tailing fibers.  

In regards to fouling, I've considered adding a hard mono loop tied in before the bend, but have been curious as to how that may affect the fly's action...

1 hour ago, senor_denito said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I definitely have to invest in one of those small combs as it'll help me untangle the synthetic tailing fibers.  

In regards to fouling, I've considered adding a hard mono loop tied in before the bend, but have been curious as to how that may affect the fly's action...

I have a small mustache comb attached to my leader nipper lanyard, works well.

20201123_101355.png.db0a6099e4fd618db6623a413c173592.png

On 2020-11-21 at 4:42 PM, senor_denito said:

I like the translucency of the synthetic material as opposed to the hackle that is most commonly used.  .

/4

44/4

Just curious: what synthetic material did you use to replace the hackles? And did you use it strictly for that or to replace as well some of the bucktail which, besides the eyes and the flash, is the only other material used in a Half and Half (as designed by Clouser)? 

Edited by Suave
Typo

14 mins ago, Suave said:

Just curious: what synthetic material did you use to replace the hackles? And did you use it strictly for that or to replace as well some of the bucktail which, besides the eyes and the flash, is the only other material used in a Half and Half (as designed by Clouser)? 

I used Steve Farrar's SF blend.  It is the slinky fiber blended with some flash.  In this pattern, I only used it to replace what would've been hackles in a traditional half and half. 

I tie in the synthetic stuff first, right after the eyes, near the hookbend before tying in bucktail.  

17 hours ago, senor_denito said:

I used Steve Farrar's SF blend.  It is the slinky fiber blended with some flash.  In this pattern, I only used it to replace what would've been hackles in a traditional half and half. 

I tie in the synthetic stuff first, right after the eyes, near the hookbend before tying in bucktail.  

Thank you. I should have guessed about SF Flash Blend as I've used this material extensively in my recent tying.  And I should have begun my previous post with "Nice flies, they should catch a lot of fish". Love the two color schemes, more so the olive/white one.

Now, if I may, I'd like to address the "issue" of what kind of fly it is. And one thing it is not is a hybrid Half and Half. The Half and Half is per se a hybrid of two flies and if you remove the hackles and bucktail collar which tie it to one of the two flies, I think it can't be a Half and Half anymore, so calling it a Half and Half or even a hybrid Half and Half is a misnomer.

That being said, what is it? To me it is very close, profile-wise but albeit more heavily dressed, to a Clouser Deep Minnow,  the "original" Clouser which made Bob Clouser famous among fly anglers and fly tiers (thanks in large part to Lefty Kreh who "introduced" this fly to a wide audience by vaunting it's merits in an article published in Fly Fisherman Magazine in the late 1989).

In his book "Clouser's Flies" (page 26), Clouser writes " For instance, a slim-profile "Clouser Minnow of the appropriate lenght and color imitates small, slender baits such as spearing in saltwater..." He could have mentioned  sand eel as well. He continues "For broad, chunky baitfish, such as peanut bunker (saltwater) ....., the broader Half and Half is the better choice". Actually the Half and Half was originally designed by Clouser to imitate the fall fish, a big baitfish (it grows up to 18"!) found in the Susquehanna River. 

And in his book, Clouser shows Deep Minnows tied with synthetics, including  Kinky Fibers, the former name of SF Flash Blend.  

So I suggest you call your  flies  "Clouser Minnow variations".

And I don't think you will have any issues with fouling because you tied a bunch of synthetics fibers in them as they are tied above the barb. Enjoy!

One last note ... I have probably caught over 90% of all my stripers & blues in the salt on clouser & clouser variations.  Not sure why I even bother with any other flies.