Angler #1

Thank you to Barnstable Natural Resource Deptarment

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

for doing such a great job in raising and distributing the Oysters this year . We decided to go down this morning and do a little scratching for Oysters. Was I shocked when we came of the main road 6A to see that the whole right side of the road was filled with cars, trucks and whole families walking the road down to the beach area. Since I had my disability ticket I drove down to the beach, simply amazed with all of the people that had already arrived before we did. As luck would have it we were able to find a place to park close to the entrance . I took off my three wheeler loaded it up and headed on down to where every one was scratching. It was amazing to see so many folks just in ankle boots and no waders and some did not even have any rakes. I walked to where I normally have gone in past years and waded into the water and what i see right away is Oysters every where , so the walk was short . It took me about 20 minutes to get my half basket and after a short check by the Natural Resource Officers on duty I was headed home to Sandwich. To think that serving my country allowed me to purchase this permit is outstanding along with the local representative who helped get this passed. Mr. Hunt is leaving this year and it will be taken over by Mr, Steve Xiarhos another concerned member for those of us whom fish. Once again to the Barnstable Natural Resource Department keep up the good work and as a veteran Thank you for sharing this resource . Peace and Prayers   

18 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

,,,,,,,,,,.To think that serving my country allowed me to purchase this permit is outstanding along with the local representative who helped get this passed. Mr. Hunt is leaving this year and it will be taken over by Mr, Steve Xiarhos another concerned member for those of us whom fish.    

The BRAVE Act?

3 hours ago, Joe G said:

The BRAVE Act?

Yes my friend Thanks to this act I am, along with other veterans now able to secure a shell fish permit in any town for the same cost that is charged for the citizens of that town . I was unable to afford such a permit until this act passed and I plan on making good use from this along with enjoying the hard work the Barnstable Natural Resource Department has accomplished, with there shell fish programs . I know it is only the beginning of the season , but when you can stand in one spot and place the amount of oysters needed to give you a half a peck in less than 20 minutes and all legal or better. That for me deserves a special thank you for all of their hard work all year long to help the recreation shell fisherman in the quest for some fresh shell fish to eat . Peace and Prayers 

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

.......... but when you can stand in one spot and place the amount of oysters needed to give you a half a peck in less than 20 minutes and all legal or better....

Sounds as though the place was unusually loaded with oysters and as Cape Dave and you point out, there were many large oysters as well.

Do you know if these were all from seed oysters planted by the Barnstable Natural Resource Department?

Edited by Joe G

23 mins ago, Joe G said:

Sounds as though the place was unusually loaded with oysters and as Cape Dave and you point out, there were many large oysters as well.

Do you know if these were all from seed oysters planted by the Barnstable Natural Resource Department?

they most likely were. was throwing back hundreds of large ones today  looking for smaller ones. a lot of the towns seed them.

This year seems exceptional with regards to size and condition.

One can find the littler ones for slurping or the medium sized ones for rockefeller pretty easily. 

Larger ones for frying are plentiful too.     

I spend more time throwing back large ones than it'd take to get a limit.  If you don't care about the size, you could be out of there in one, maybe two scratches!  

I often find more meat in the smaller ones than the larger ones. the larger ones are more shell. went to one of my wild patches where they are all on the smaller side and I fit 152 in my bucket. went to a seeded crowded area today and could only fit 82 of the seeded ones in my bucket. I'll stick with the smaller wild ones. 

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

I wager that all the large oysters folks have been seeing at the Scudder site were not from seed planted by Barnstable Natural Resources Department.

Rather, my bet is that BNRD bought overgrown oysters for cheap money from, or were donated said oysters by area growers who must unload these oysters because of the decline in oyster sales this year.  The value of overgrown oysters plummets as retail markets prefer the smaller sized shell. 

March--October sales are off 50% compared to the same period in 2019 according to the DMF.  There are reports of shellfish growers up and down the east coast sending truckloads of oysters to dumps, or restoring oyster reefs  or giving them away.  Barnstable and Bourne growers are not immune from this and have been affected as well. 

On 11/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, Angler #1 said:

for doing such a great job in raising and distributing the Oysters this year . We decided to go down this morning and do a little scratching for Oysters. Was I shocked when we came of the main road 6A to see that the whole right side of the road was filled with cars, trucks and whole families walking the road down to the beach area. Since I had my disability ticket I drove down to the beach, simply amazed with all of the people that had already arrived before we did. As luck would have it we were able to find a place to park close to the entrance . I took off my three wheeler loaded it up and headed on down to where every one was scratching. It was amazing to see so many folks just in ankle boots and no waders and some did not even have any rakes. I walked to where I normally have gone in past years and waded into the water and what i see right away is Oysters every where , so the walk was short . It took me about 20 minutes to get my half basket and after a short check by the Natural Resource Officers on duty I was headed home to Sandwich. To think that serving my country allowed me to purchase this permit is outstanding along with the local representative who helped get this passed. Mr. Hunt is leaving this year and it will be taken over by Mr, Steve Xiarhos another concerned member for those of us whom fish. Once again to the Barnstable Natural Resource Department keep up the good work and as a veteran Thank you for sharing this resource . Peace and Prayers   

Last time I fished Ma I ran across a "seeding" program in action.The state employee at the Popponessett ramp told me that they were being planted to help clean up the water as there was so much runoff from septic fields and oysters were such efficient filter feeders.Ever notice a funny taste in them? Not sure I'd eat 'em...

Most of the private farmers are hurting because restaurants are unable to serve. You can do very well buying them direct , if you like the cocktail size.

Edited by bazel

16 mins ago, bazel said:

Most of the private farmers are hurting because restaurants are unable to serve. You can do very well buying them direct , if you like the cocktail size.

Hope your doing well, Barry.     :wave:

6 hours ago, Joe G said:

I wager that all the large oysters folks have been seeing at the Scudder site were not from seed planted by Barnstable Natural Resources Department.

Rather, my bet is that BNRD bought overgrown oysters for cheap money from, or were donated said oysters by area growers who must unload these oysters because of the decline in oyster sales this year.  The value of overgrown oysters plummets as retail markets prefer the smaller sized shell. 

March--October sales are off 50% compared to the same period in 2019 according to the DMF.  There are reports of shellfish growers up and down the east coast sending truckloads of oysters to dumps, or restoring oyster reefs  or giving them away.  Barnstable and Bourne growers are not immune from this and have been affected as well. 

what self respecting waterman sends oysters to the dump? If they can't be sold, toss them back off the grant and they will support a wild fishery.