jjdbike

Anyone use TA clip to attach teaser?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Foureel said:

I use them all the time with no issues and it doesn't seem to effect the hook up ratio at all  I know fly guys that use the clips while fly fishing  Go for it

Thanks!

12 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I never have, always use a loop knot, I like the free movement. But I don't see why not, as long as the teaser has free movement.:howdy:

Thank you. I've done that & like it. Not great w/ that knot. I have 100% confidence in a well tied uni.

12 hours ago, Goldy said:

Dropper loop and you can swap teasers in seconds

Yes, I agree and I like ho they stand off. I just worry of a large or random gator jumps on. Prolly not much change of that these days.

12 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Someone posted a pic here not too long ago (Redgill thread maybe?) Of the teaser on a snood with a TA clip to the main line. 

I'm going to try that.  

12 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

Yes I do and I have not had I issue.  Use the small one 50#.  If big fish are around I will tie it on. Like the clip so I can find out what is working.

Yes I considered that. I'm using 50 flour and clip fro teaser. I figure, I'm not using even half that in drag pressure, probably closer to 17 ish on open sandy beaches. So in theory it should be good. 

10 hours ago, PaulS said:

I use a surgeon loop to attach the teaser line to the main leader clip

I have had surgeons loops fail.

11 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

If I think I'll fish a teaser, I'll tie a swivel between the braid and leader, then have the teasers pre-rigged with a TA clip to attach to bottom ring of the swivel. Nice thing is you can go from no teaser to using a teaser very quickly, without an empty dropper on the leader. Don't remember where I saw that, some video I watched. I always did droppers until I saw the video and now this is my preferred method. I'll see if I can find it with a quick search

Found it:

Great idea. My problem w/ that is I'd have to use a larger swivel that I like & teasers are easier to store together in a ziplock snack baggie when the don't have a leader on them. 

10 hours ago, Joe Mairo said:

I’ve tried lots of different ways and the one that’s worked best for me I learned from a John Skinner video.  It basically boils down to taking a section of your desired leader material / length and knotting the teaser on one end and tying a perfection loop on the other.  I do 8 inches of 40 pound flouro. 399B76E7-70F4-48DB-9361-D27317B89319.jpeg.d7eb2363a6cb3474ec7d8466312a88a6.jpegIt’s awesome because you can easily swap out teasers without having to tie a knot because you’re just looping it on the lowering ring of the barrel swivel. And the loop holds it off the main leader and I get less tangles than any other way.  And last but not least, I trust a  perfection loop a lot more than a dropper loop.  

Yes, I've done that and it works well. Again, my problem is I don't tie perfection loops enough to have confidance in them I need to look up how to tie them every time (i.e. once a year at best). Also the untied teasers are easier to store in baggie. I've had too many time on a dark windy beach trying to free up teasers with leaders inter tangled. I suppose I'd have to put them in individual bags, but that could get messy.

Thanks everyone!

JD

I think it sounds like an accident waiting to happen, not a matter of if but of when. There is no way to maintain a straight line of pull with a dropper caught fish when caught as part of a double-header. That system will work fine until it doesn't. I'd tie a knot instead and have one less thing to worry about. For me the most secure connection is more important than speed and convivence.

10 hours ago, SC said:

I think it sounds like an accident waiting to happen, not a matter of if but of when. There is no way to maintain a straight line of pull with a dropper caught fish when caught as part of a double-header. That system will work fine until it doesn't. I'd tie a knot instead and have one less thing to worry about. For me the most secure connection is more important than speed and convivence.

Please detail more the "accident" with the T/A solution.........I have not had one yet

18 mins ago, DennisJude said:

Where do you then hook the TA clip to ?  Swivel ?  Top or bottom of swivel ?  Does it ever twist around the leader ?   Thanks

I clip it to the bottom of the swivel between the main line and leader. It doesn’t twist around the leader but occasionally will twist around the braid. 

16 mins ago, z-man said:

I clip it to the bottom of the swivel between the main line and leader. It doesn’t twist around the leader but occasionally will twist around the braid. 

Ever try it on one of these?

61hNsVy1RXL._AC_SX425_.jpg

45 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ever try it on one of these?

61hNsVy1RXL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I have never tried one of those swivels. I only use a teaser if I can’t get a bite on a normal lure. I wouldn’t want that extra piece on my line for when I’m not using the teaser. It’s going to hurt casting range and collect weeds.  

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Cool,

what hook is that?

looks more stout than the stock hook.

that stock hook makes me nervous.

JD

That’s the hook that came with the latest pack of red gills I have. The previous ones had a lighter gauge hook. 

On 11/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, z-man said:

This is how I rig them. 

7900E8DB-B37C-4B6E-8E27-4BFFE7D80194.jpeg

This is an excellent technique of attaching your pre-rigged teasers, excellent.. Just setup a half dozen teasers to be used this weekend with fifty pound test.. 

I tie a dropper loop on my leader.  I then open the loop by cutting one side near the knot, thus leaving me a long strand.  To this strand I tie a TA clip.  Works great.  I also use this rig for Fluke.